1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Ka-Bar Mk1-1...

Discussion in 'KA-BAR Knives' started by Garandimal, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Garandimal

Garandimal

Dec 20, 2011
    ...by Garandimal

Well... after thinkin'bout it for a while, I finally decided to do something about the pommel on this otherwise outstanding knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feels really good and moved the balance-point forward ~ 3/16"... which was enough to put it ahead of the second finger, so when you lower your index finger in a loose grip, the knife falls forward, instead of back into your hand.

It's a little lighter and handier too, but I don't have a small scale to weigh it on so that is comparative w/ the spec Mk1.

[​IMG]

It was pretty easy to control the bevels and the waist-line by following the procedure I developed before I started. the oval just dropped out as a detail of the process.

[​IMG]

Took less than an hour free-hand on my High-Tech 4"X24" belt-sander and a little emery paper... :D

[​IMG]

If there is any interest, I'll make a toot for you.

GR

2. Dr Rez

Dr Rez Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 7, 2012
    My mk1 seems to bend easily. Much sooner than the usmc. Is that just me?

Also I am pretty sure the sheath (kydex) is dulling my blade each time I take it out.

3. Garandimal

Garandimal

Dec 20, 2011
    I wouldn't know... I use mine like a clip-point straight-razor.

Food prep, field dressing, whittlin', feathers, notching, tarp'n'rope... I only use the point to pick up food.

(I don't understand this compulsion people have to drive every knife into wood like a splitter)

That said, ...It is a very good slicing tool.

Want ta do both...?

[​IMG]

Complain to the Management. :D

GR

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. Dr Rez

Dr Rez Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Dont get me wrong I dont use it for that, that is what my hatchet is for. I just mean the overall play on the blade. It is a fantastic knife however. I wiah I could buy one of those sheaths without the knife though!

5. Garandimal

Garandimal

Dec 20, 2011
    Ask Toooj (he has a "sticky" on this forum), he seems to be a helpful and accommodating guy.

Or contact KA-BAR customer service.

GR

6. monstrum

monstrum

May 31, 2012
    dr. rez you can buy a leather sheath from kabar for the mk1 our you can buy a verry nice custom sheat as well