Kabar BK3 TacTool vs Ontario SP8 machete

Any experiences and/or opinions?

Kabar:

BK3%20LG.JPG

# 1095 High Carbon Steel CRO-VAN Blade with black epoxy powder coat.
# 57-58 RC blade hardness
# BLADE LENGTH: 7"
# OVERALL LENGTH: 12-1/2"
# WEIGHT: 1.3lb.
# Handle: GRIVORY
# Sheath: Glass filled Nylon.

Ontario:

SP8%20LG.JPG

# 1095 High Carbon Steel black epoxy finish.
# (Full Tang)
# 10" blade length
# 15-1/8" overall length
# 250" blade thickness (1/4")
# Handle: Comfortable Kraton
# Leather/Cordura Combination sheath system

The Kabar is ~$80 while the Ontario is ~$50

i don't see the point of no tip.(No pun intended). Why not get a bk9 or a kabar heavy bowie

I don't have a BK3 because I handled one in my local gun store and did not like the chisel grind. I do own a Ontario sp8 and I believe it to be a good blade. Things I like better about the ontario over the becker is the length of blade 10" gives me more leverage when prying. Also gives a little more distance when turning downed logs, I like the saber grind it has batoned loads of wood and taken it with stride.Things that make the tac tool better, the handle is more ergonomic and will feel much more comfortable in the hand. The RC hardness is greater so less time sharpening. It has a better sheath and it is lighter for packing. Lightness was not a huge factor as mine (sp8)usually stays in the back of the truck and does more bashing, prying and digging than anything. It splits wood for the fire place in the winter and on occasion i actually use it to cut something. I have used it to quarter venison and a goat. So if you just want a beater that can handle anything nothing wrong with ontario. As I said the becker is nicer it was the chisel grind that was the killer for me.

I own the Ontario, but not the Becker.
Handle, Becker is full tang, removable/scales can be upgraded. Ontario has a thinner tang, would it break, I don't think so, but, how strong are you?
Spine: Gut hook/notch on the Becker is something I'd rather not have, Ontario has the unuseable "saw" teeth. I don't like either.
I like my SP8, I like the length, the large choil, I like the curved chisel tip. I'm sure that the BK3's angled chisel tip has it's merits, for scraping.
As long, heavy and sharp as my SP8 is, it's so thick that it doesn't cut wood as much as bash it into submission. But, that same thickness excels at prying, smashing, and batonning, or I mean, splitting wood.
I think the Ontario has a good sheath, heavy duty snapps and thick leather, it's not a cheapo' sheath. Not really for stealthy quick draw action, but stout.

i've got the Tac Tool and really dig it. Feels like it can do anything. just reprofile the edge.

Back