1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Blues, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Was thinking today that this forum could use a central repository of images of the knives of Ken Erickson.

Not only has Ken proven to be a major player in the world of custom slipjoints (in a very short time, I might add) but he is also a major contributor to and reason why this forum is as interesting and informative as it is. In addition (and more importantly) he is a man I am very proud to call a close friend.

Please feel free to share your images of Ken's knives in this thread.

I'll start off with images of the second slipjoint that Ken ever made and then add a few additional images of other knives by Ken that I am indeed fortunate to own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you have enjoyed this little start to our trip down memory lane with Ken's knives and look forward to your contributions...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    That cigar stockman is the absolute BOMB! Great thread and great pics, Elliott. Thank you.

4. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Thanks for the kind words. :cool: The equal-end knife you are referring to is a "cattle knife" (generally considered by BRL and other knife historians as the precursor to the somewhat more modern premium (serpentine) stockman).

5. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    What a great thread. Ken has become one of my favorites as far as people and knives. Once I get back on my feet, I plan on adding pics of his first two blader and some others that have found their way into my hands.

6. JAlexander

JAlexander

Oct 16, 2003
    I only have one of Ken's knives, although I'm on his list, so hopefully I'll be getting another sometime soon-ish.

[​IMG]

It doesn't matter how many times I look at your cattle knife, Elliot, I still think it's one of the most beautifully proportioned pocket knives I've ever seen.

James

7. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    My first Erickson, like most of Ken's knives, was inspired by an oldie. And Ken is one of the few knifemakers who have responded to the challenge of making a punch.
    This knife has all the classical goodness that keeps me riveted to knife collecting. Here they are, Grandson, and Grandpa!
    [​IMG]

8. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    If ever a thread was destined for greatness, this is it!

Thanks Elliot, and thanks to all who have and will share.

9. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Thank you, James. It has a very reasonable claim to pride of place in my collection and was a collaboration that proved very enjoyable.

When it comes to Ken's work, imho there's no such thing as second place. :cool:

10. John L

John L Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Hey Ken: How many slipjoints would you guess you have made thus far?

11. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    The world isn't all black and white, but Ebony and Ivory are my favorite handle materials!
    Ken's first swayback, and his first HJ above, show how passionately he has dedicated himself to making great knives in the traditional style. The knives reveal his complete concentration on the subject. If I made a thousand knives, I'd still be trying to match the quality of Ken's work. I am continuously amazed by this upstart!!!!!:D
    [​IMG]

12. comoha

comoha

Jan 12, 2006
    Great thread! Ken's knives are truly stellar. Its always a treat to see his posted pics here. I hope to someday own one of his dandies.

13. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Truly a wonderful idea for a thread, Elliott! The Erickson Archives!:thumbup:

Also inspired by a specific old knife, this 'Rat has Erickson Jigged and Dyed bone handles. The last pic is the Remington (RIP) that lent its DNA!;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DNA Rem;
    [​IMG]

14. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    It's my pleasure, fellas, and a fitting tribute to a mutual friend. :cool::thumbup:

15. SPXTrader

SPXTrader

Dec 26, 2006
    Ken does beautiful work. I've got 6 makers on my list for this year, and Ken is at the top. Thanks for starting this thread Elliott! :thumbup:

16. sidecutter

sidecutter

Nov 28, 2008
    PLEASE!!!!!! no more pics!!!!!! it hurts..... too much. :thumbup:

17. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    I always look forward to seeing Kens pics of knives he has just completed..

Anyone who has one, or more :D, has every reason to be proud.

I'm so far down on the list, I don't think I'll ever get there :( No doubt in my mind that every day of waiting will be well worth it

18. mckgreg

mckgreg

Nov 18, 2001
    One of the few makers that makes nice round knives. Not flat like so many out there. Made the way they are supposed to be made.:thumbup:
    Greg

19. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator

Sep 2, 2004
    This is my one and only. I hope that changes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Thomason

Thomason Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I would be more that happy to contribute a little something to this Ken Erickson thread.
    I think what prompted me to first order one from Ken was his jigged bone. I sent him a picture of a blade shape I liked and ask if he would do me one like it. He sent me pictures of various stages of the work in progress. That beauty on top is the final product.
    The little barlow was done with some old Schrade sawcut bone if I recall correctly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]