Ken Erickson Knives: A Retrospective

What is that "traditional" shield called on that sowbelly, Thomason?

Mike

I ain't Thomason, but it used to be my knife:eek: All I've ever heard that shield called is a "sowbelly shield" as it is what is commonly seen on a sowbelly...

I ain't Thomason, but it used to be my knife:eek: All I've ever heard that shield called is a "sowbelly shield" as it is what is commonly seen on a sowbelly...

I don't know it's official name either, but I've always thought of it as the "classic pinup onepiece swimsuit" shield.

Last edited:
That trapper is wonderful knowtracks! It must have been tricky working that textured ivory, and that horseshoe shield has a dozen ways to go wrong, yet it looks perfect!!
I am in awe!

That trapper is wonderful knowtracks! It must have been tricky working that textured ivory, and that horseshoe shield has a dozen ways to go wrong, yet it looks perfect!!
I am in awe!

I have to agree with Charlie, Dave ! Not only is it a beauty, but also very unique and personal. Congratulations. :thumbup::thumbup:

Fran

Thanks for helping to make this a great retrospective, guys. I'm really looking forward to new additions as well! :cool::thumbup:

Thanks for helping to make this a great retrospective, guys. I'm really looking forward to new additions as well! :cool::thumbup:

I wonder if Ford got that killer fiddleback in yet ? He takes a serious picture,too
That was ,is,an awesome knife!
-Vince

I wonder if Ford got that killer fiddleback in yet ? He takes a serious picture,too
That was ,is,an awesome knife!
-Vince

I think I'd have heard Ford's rendition of the rebel yell if it had arrived.
I bet we'll hear from him sometime later today. ;)

(And you're sure right about the quality of his images. :thumbup:)

My one and only Erickson, I hope that changes. A 3 1/8" ivory gent's pen. Need to stop spending on knives and get me a new camera.

Attachments

• P2200858.jpg
    P2200858.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 120
  • P2200860.jpg
    P2200860.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 84
  • P2200863.jpg
    P2200863.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 67
  • P2200862.jpg
    P2200862.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 61
  • P2200864.jpg
    P2200864.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 59
That's a beauty Kai. so clean and elegant, but warm with the ivory.
Ken's recent knives are reminiscent of old Sheffield Master Cutlers' work. Perfection acheived over 100 years ago in Sheffield was lost but has amazingly been recently re-discovered in Waupaca Wisconsin !
roland

Thanks for adding another beauty to the thread, Kai. :cool::thumbup:

IMG_0344.jpg

Friends, I apologize for taking so long to share some shots of my newest folder from Ken. It has been a busy week, but I got off work a little early today, and the outdoor lighting was just right.

In any case I am proud to show you all some photos of a true piece of art from Ken. This knife transcended my expectations for satisfaction (despite Ken's known rep) and has excited me more than some other knives have for many a moon.

I could jaw on and on with praise for this honkin' big folder and the incredible symmetrical grinds, the beautiful ebony scales, the overall superb fit and finish, the smooth as silk action, but I'll just let some pics do the talkin' from here.

As many of you already know, Ken is a very fine gentleman to trade with as well as a gifted craftsman. I am proud to have another Erickson ebony in my collection.

I have more shots of this one than will fit in one post, so I will spill over into a 2nd post after this one. Hope you all enjoy.
IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

And here's a link to the original sale post from Ken which gives the stats on this fine fiddleback aka cokebottle aka Montana Teaser aka fewpop's "Arkanasas Teaser."
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714870
Thanks again Ken!

Last edited:
Ford, that's just fantastic! Great images!!!

Such a beauty! It's uncanny how Ken gets the proportions just right!
Congratulations to both of you, and thanks for putting me in your will, Ford!:D

Back