KMG horizontal grinder

If you have a 3 or 4' straight edge, place it along the drive wheel and the grinding wheel and see if they are perfectly aligned. I would guess either the drive wheel is out of alignment or it is somehow loose on the shaft or the same of the grinding wheel. They should be square to each other and the motor shaft and should not wobble in any way.
I don't have a KMG but my grinder will allow me to change belts with very little or no adjustment.
Hope you get it figured out. It's so frustrating when you have to fix the machine before you can use it.

Everything is tight
It might be a quarter degree off in alignment, or less.

c8e4acc88fc9c43f60b2472b76e2d1e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything is tight
It might be a quarter degree off in alignment, or less.

c8e4acc88fc9c43f60b2472b76e2d1e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horizontal grinders fight gravity, if all the parts are perpendicular than next is the tensioning. As I said earlier the rotational tensioning isn't good and most likely doing it.

Vertical grinders shouldn't have belt wobble issues.

Is that small misalignment a taper in the drive wheel, or is the motor cocked slightly? If the wheel is tapered, I would try flipping it 180 degrees (top for bottom) and see if you have better luck. If it's the motor alignment, I'd shim it square. You'd be surprised what just a degree or so can do for tracking, especially if you have a fair amount of tension on the belt.

Back