1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Knife question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by lzenglish, Apr 20, 2017 at 8:40 PM.

1. lzenglish

lzenglish

Nov 21, 2012
    I picked up what i call a fixed bladed hawkbill knife, but have never seen one sharpened quite like it. The scales appear to be made of ebony. with silver pins, and a silver butt plate. The blade has "Korea" stamped on it, and the edge is ground on the outer edge of the blade arc. In all my searches, i have seen names like oil rag knife, hawkbill, linoleum, roofer's knife etc, but all seemed to be ground on the inner side of the blade arc. Any info, or ideas, on what i may have here would be appreciated. Sorry, But I'm unable to post pics with this new format.

Thanks

2. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Maybe it is some kind of error? I can't imagine what a knife ground in such a way could be used for. I know there are knives like the Inuit Ulu and Italian Mezzaluna which use an extreme semicircular blade and cut with the edge by rocking the blade back and forward or scraping with the edge.

3. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Interested to see what you have. Checkout the technical assistance area. Lots of posts assisting with posting pics under the new format.

4. lzenglish

lzenglish

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks for the replies so far. I will continue to try and post pics of it.

5. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Paint roller scraper / cleaner for the blunt inside and sharp scraper knife for outside arc ?

6. lzenglish

lzenglish

Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM
  7. EricV

EricV Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I was going to say its definitely a lead knife. My grandfather did a lot of stained glasswork and had a few of these around, including that Herder you linked to. They're really sturdy well made knives, but pretty much useless for anything other than that specific task. They do make a handy leather work knife in a pinch.