1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Knife to get girlfriend interested in bushcraft / outdoors

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by randori, Jun 16, 2012.

1. randori

randori

May 8, 2012
    Ok. My girlfriend wants to start doing the outdoors stuff with me. Camping, hiking, fishing, hunting...the works. I inspected her "kit" and there is only one little old crappy stainless steel folder with a partially serrated edge. That ain't gonna cut it...literally. That SOB is dull and will not take an edge, much less hold one.

Anyway, she's never done any of the outdoor stuff in a pure fashion like many of us here do. She doesn't know how to make fire without a lighter, she's never slept in an improvised shelter, and never cooked a critter over an open fire. Therefore, she doesn't understand the importance of a good, quality knife.

What Becker knife would you / did you first get for your girlfriend or wife? Or for the gals, what would you recommend I get her to keep her interested in bushcraft and knife usage?

My thought is one of these like my personal favorite but I dunno...
    [​IMG]

What is your opinion?

2. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    I think really any of the Tweeners would be great.

My mother played around with my BK-15 in the kitchen and now she wants one.

3. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    A lot of it depends on her tastes, and what she likes. The FFg 16 would be a great choice....but only if she likes it.

Depending on if her attitude..she might also like a pink Izula. Or have K9 color her up a 14. He can make some pretty cool stuff.

Or hell, if she likes the 16 and likes colors, Im sure k9 could duracoat her one of those too. (at least the handles/spine. I personally dont like coated blades)

Main point is, make sure it suits HER. There are tons of quality knives out there....all of them will serve her purposes.

A good multitool or SAK would be a good thing to grab for her too, and she could keep it in her purse when she aint out bushcrafting. The Leatherman Skeletool is a great size and weight, but no saw.

4. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    You will need to get her something that will fit her hands, and her style.

In the BKT line, I say go with something like a 11/14 first. See if she likes the blade style, before you drop coin on the BK16.

Its the same blade shape, with some ass in its britches.

You can go full tilt with a 16, but if she don't like it or it won't work for her, you'll have to take it. :D

If you have a B&M store around, go palm shop. Put some steel in her hand, see what she likes. Then, make your purchase based on her feed back.

Both of the knives my wife uses, she picked out herself, after she got to hold them.

Give her the chance to pick her own. Just tell her that BKT's are the only knife maker out there. :D

Moose

5. thebrain

thebrain

Dec 12, 2007
    My girl loves her pink Izula but she said she liked the look and feel of my BK14 Eskabar with the FRN scales. Also keep in mind that she may really like a smaller mora to start and move her right up to a BK9 or BK4 they are fun as hell to use.

6. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    LOL....

tell her the Ogre recommends the BK17! Dang I love this blade.

[​IMG]

7. jim62

jim62 Banned BANNED

Apr 9, 2007
    It's not a Becker, but

I'd just get one of these Mora Companion for starters.

If she has Average female hands it should fit her like a glove.

[​IMG]

8. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    That's actually a good idea. Great knives for the money, and at least a good starting point.

9. jim62

jim62 Banned BANNED

Apr 9, 2007
    FWIW, that little knife above went blow for blow in those black locust knots alongside a BK-16 FPR..

And no knife I know of beats them for cost ($12) or weight @ 4.3 ounces with factory sheath and paracord neck lanyard. They are my go to Ultra-light blade on trips where I will not be processing lots of wood for fuel.

10. KP

KP Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 24, 2011
    And I'll say the same. I just got my wife a Mora 711 Craftline All-Around and she loves it. She also like my BK14 so that isn't a bad idea either.

11. Captain Airyca

Captain Airyca Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2011
    If it's gonna be a surprise, you can't go wrong with a 11, 14, or 16. However why don't you ask her? Show her some pictures, talk to her about what skills she might find a good blade useful for, show her the pros and cons of blade shapes, and show her the data base. Let her pick. And inform her about how she can customize it to make it more personal.

12. CascadeSam

CascadeSam

Apr 18, 2012
    Good ideas above. All make sense. Here is my suggestion below.

Condor Bushlore Knife, 4 1/4 in. 1075 High Carbon Steel Blade. You can find them for under $30. BTW, the Condor website has really bad pics of their products. I've seen pics elsewhere and read comments by owners that they look really nice in the hand.

13. Captain Airyca

Jan 23, 2011
    Teach her, don't boss her around. Let her know options. Allow her to pick what she likes, even if it isn't your style. Let her do the stuff, and you direct her, don't do everything for her. Have confidence in her and let her know if you're proud of her. She'll be interested, or she won't. don't push her too hard. The thing I HATE most about being a lady that likes the outdoors is some people (no one here on the forums) feel like they have to coddle me or baby me or tell me how to do something that's easier or more lightweight or whatever just cause i'm a chick. DUDE just let me do my thing and don't assume because I'm a girl I'm not capable. /rant off I"m sure you're not like that but just in case, being a girl doesn't change the concept of bushcraft itself.

14. jim62

jim62 Banned BANNED

Apr 9, 2007
    Oh, Airyca.. You're just a girl.

What would you know about it? :rolleyes:

:D

15. Captain Airyca

Jan 23, 2011
    lol nothing at all!

/insert woman in kitchen joke here

16. monstrum

monstrum

May 31, 2012
    i agree with captain aryica. but from 14-16 might be good options

17. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I was going to get my wife (she is now a collector too) a nice pink knife when she asked for me to get her a knife to keep in her car to open stuff with. While I agonized over which one to get her, she started to use one of my emersons (cqc7a) and decided she wanted to keep it! Let her choose, she might surprise you

18. randori

randori

May 8, 2012
    Jim, that might be a perfect choice. I'm going to have to look into those more. Is there a BladeForums dealer that sells Moras? Still haven't figured out how all that works yet. I know for a fact that they aren't sold anywhere around here, unfortunately.

Aiyrica, its good advice. She's law enforcement like me, so she knows joint locks, throws, and has pepper spray and a gun. Last thing I wanna do is tick her off lol. As far as her "choice," goes, she said "whatever you think sweetheart." She's difficult and she doesn't want to know what I think....MACHAX!!!! That way I can use it :D But in all sincerity, I want to get her something functional and nice. I was thinking hard about the tweeners, but now Jim made this difficult. That mora looks NICE and I know they perform. Never had one before. They as good as the forums make them out to be?

At any rate, thank you for the responses. Maybe we'll go the ogre route. She does like my clip point knives...

19. jim62

jim62 Banned BANNED

Apr 9, 2007
    Google Ragweed forge.. IMHO, Ragnar is the man for Moras..

For your own edificaction order 2 or three because you'll want one for yourself, too. They make the companion in an Olive drab/ Black versions in both Carbon and steinless and the Orange/ Black version in stainless. For about $40 total you can play with several types of steel /color combos and it will give you and your sweety something to learn about an discuss in terms of knives..

They are a superb bushcraft knife. The Companions are am improved version of the "clipper" knives. The blade tang goes about 3/4 down the handle and you'd litterally have to destroy the blade to get that darn thing off. The Hockey mask guy beat the hell out of one of the old Carbon steel clippers on the Knifetest vids and the blade held up under some pretty horrible abuse.

The companions have the best "grippy" overmolded handle I have ever seen. It's still very firm yet tacky and even in our dusty climate here on the great plains the black stuff does not really atract dirt. I really like them and I am not much on injection molded anything..;)

20. Chameleonbear

Chameleonbear

Aug 14, 2008
    I say give her something that she will love for a lifetime. Get her a 5. Let her see what it's like to have a REAL knife in her hands.

Course, the chicks I like are kind of special and WOULD like something like that as opposed to a smaller blade.