• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

knifeworks805? No communication!

Heres the story,

I contacted knifeworks805 here on the forums for some custom duracoat work about a month and a half ago.

He (Ryan) replied to me and said instead of payment for the work he would be interested in trading one of my custom knives for his work. His communication was perfect for the week while I was making his knife and up until the time I sent the blade with the stuff I wanted work done on.

The day my custom knife and knife that needed the work done on was delivered I sent a message asking if he had gotten the blade, Two days later I got a reply saying he had gotten the blades and that he was busy in his personal life and thats why he had not gotten back to me. I understood because who doesnt have personal things to deal with at some point in there life.

Anyways, after that communication I did not hear from him for another 2 weeks. Keep in mind he told me once the blades were in his hands that he would have them done and back to me in a week and a half. I had messaged him multiple times asking what was going on and if everything was ok and finally in a thread he said his turn around time was pushed back to a month and that he would have pictures of my knives and the work done to them emailed or sent to me soon.

Since that communication I have called his number(rang forever with no answering machine), emailed him, left a visitor message and sent multiple texts without reply :confused:

I have also been keeping track of his Face book page and have seen that others are having trouble getting ahold of him too. He doesnt seem to have any troubles trying to accept new orders though on more custom work and communicating with them, but my messages go unanswered.

I have no problem with waiting but if Ryan needs more time Please communicate it so Im not lost in the dark :(

anyways Im not trying to bash Ryan because I know he is capable of phenominal work but his communication has been less than perfect and Im curious on my knives. My edc has not be with me for over a month and a half now and Im missing it :(

Has anyone else had similar issues with him before, or know of a better way to contact him?

Last edited:
It's always frustrating how people's personal lives always become an issue... right after they have your property / money in hand.

If it were me I think I would let him know that due to his lack of communication meeting your expectations you think that it would be best just to call the deal off and pay him to ship the knives back. Find another artisan that can / will deliver the work as promised.

It's always frustrating how people's personal lives always become an issue... right after they have your property / money in hand.

If it were me I think I would let him know that due to his lack of communication meeting your expectations you think that it would be best just to call the deal off and pay him to ship the knives back. Find another artisan that can / will deliver the work as promised.

well I do understand his personal issues, and I dont think he is a con man, but communication is key, and communication errors is the main reason why I started this thread for him to see.

Where is he at?? Ive waited 2.5 months. Just want some type of communication from him.

Last activity on the forum shows him logged in at 10PM, on 5/12/12? I'll send him a link to this thread and ask him to respond.

thanks, Hopefully we will get a response soon.
I'll be checking for a reply. In the mean time, if you get an email or PM from him, please let me know. Hopefully everything can and will be resolved to everyones benefit.

I sent some work to Ryan as well.
He was very good at responding up until I sent the knife.
I just assumed he was busy, it happens.
Subscribing to this thread, hopefully all is well with him.

I really hope everything is OK with Ryan.
The money & knife are not as important as hearing that he
is alright.
I am not upset about this issue I just don't know what happened.

Last edited:
Hey All,
I apologize for the severe delays lately. Life has been stupidly busy and unfortunately I havn't had much time to work on orders that I currently have. I work 6 days a week at a gun shop and this is a side thing for me. My wife and I have 2 young girls (14 month old and a 5 week old) and they take priority right now. I'm not sure why the OP feels that I have been taking on new orders but leave his emails unanswered. I have not taken on new orders and will not be until I am caught back up. I don't charge a lot for my work and I don't make much money off of it. Hope you all can understand. I will try to contact everyone privately with updates about their order.
-Ryan

Hey All,
I apologize for the severe delays lately. Life has been stupidly busy and unfortunately I havn't had much time to work on orders that I currently have. I work 6 days a week at a gun shop and this is a side thing for me. My wife and I have 2 young girls (14 month old and a 5 week old) and they take priority right now. I'm not sure why the OP feels that I have been taking on new orders but leave his emails unanswered. I have not taken on new orders and will not be until I am caught back up. I don't charge a lot for my work and I don't make much money off of it. Hope you all can understand. I will try to contact everyone privately with updates about their order.
-Ryan

this was posted after no communication and I saw this thread

Im not bashing you in any way, I just didnt like that I was told 1 and half weeks and it has since been 1 month and 3 weeks.

I understand life gets in the way but at least communicate it with your customers.

BTW: How much longer do you think its gonna take?

Hey All,
-Ryan

Thanks for posting. I think most people he are being reasonable in their concerns and requesting some form of acknowledgement of their status. A little communication goes a long way. Best of luck Ryan.

Hey All,
-Ryan

still waiting for my update,

I know its only been 2 days but I feel like this is another one of those stalling messages where I have to wait another month before hearing from you.....

At this point if the work hasn't already been done on my zt0300 scale and my micro recon 1, I would like to have everything shipped back to me in the original condition sent to you (That includes the custom kiridashi that I made for you as payment for you work.) If you need My info again for shipment I can send it to you.

I Think my request is more than reasonable considering the original agreement was not met.

Please let me know asap!

Don't believe it till I see it. I have waited 2.5 + months with no answer.

I sent Ryan a PM2 a while back and he quoted me 6 days turnaround time. It was over 3 weeks from when he received it to when it was sent off for sharpening and the communication was lacking but he did fullfill his end of the deal and the knife did turn out awesome. Although it was never more than 4 or 5 days without some sort of response. I started a thread in here saying that he was good to go even though the time frame was more than he quoted, he did get my knife done and off to be sharpened. I still stand by that thread, maybe he has a ton of stuff going on but he did follow through on my knife.

Hope you get your situation resolved, I would think that he could at least find the time to let you know what the status is now that it's been so long. He will get you your knives, I have confidence it that. Sorry to see that happening and hopefully it's resolved soon enough.

I sent Ryan a PM2 a while back and he quoted me 6 days turnaround time. It was over 3 weeks from when he received it to when it was sent off for sharpening and the communication was lacking but he did fullfill his end of the deal and the knife did turn out awesome. Although it was never more than 4 or 5 days without some sort of response. I started a thread in here saying that he was good to go even though the time frame was more than he quoted, he did get my knife done and off to be sharpened. I still stand by that thread, maybe he has a ton of stuff going on but he did follow through on my knife.

Hope you get your situation resolved, I would think that he could at least find the time to let you know what the status is now that it's been so long. He will get you your knives, I have confidence it that. Sorry to see that happening and hopefully it's resolved soon enough.

I saw your post on Ryan Being G2G and that's why I decided to send him work. When most people post a G2G thread that means that the person kept there end of the deal and did it in a timely manner.

If I were you I would've stated that it took much longer than quoted but the product still arrived and was good quality work.

So far I'm not impressed with Ryan's ability to communicate and get the products back to me (in an even relevant time frame to what he quoted me).

Not only that but he posted in this thread saying he would personally tell everyone the status of there order 5 days ago and still has not contacted anyone that I know of. I have had multiple emails from different people thanking me for opening this thread because they too have been waiting forever, but were nervous to open a thread in the GBU about it.

I have also been asked multiple times whether I had gotten an email from Ryan yet because they were still waiting on theirs.

It really all comes down to bad business practices.

Family does come first but when you have orders to fulfill you should spend every second that you have off doing them and not accept orders for a while; to get a break that is so needed. Never take a break when the customer is waiting unless you are:

A) deathly ill
B) Family member has passed

I agree and you have every right to be ticked off. I know I would be. I was going to put the time issue in my original thread but he did keep me informed of the situation but just did not feel it was that huge of an issue (obviously you have waited much longer than I did though). Apparently it has become one though. I knew that he ran this on the side at the time and wasn't that concerned about him missing the turnaround time. Still no contact from him at all since he posted in this thread?

Last edited:
I agree and you have every right to be ticked off. I know I would be. I was going to put the time issue in my original thread but he did keep me informed of the situation but just did not feel it was that huge of an issue (obviously you have waited much longer than I did though). Apparently it has become one though. I knew that he ran this on the side at the time and wasn't that concerned about him missing the turnaround time. Still no contact from him at all since he posted in this thread?

Ya, hes hasn't even responded to anyone that I know of let alone even get on the bladeforums. I think its funny though how he has time to comment on nutnfancy's youtube videos and is watching YouTube videos but has no time to work on our stuff or even send us an email. :rolleyes:

My emails to Ryan S. are still unanswered.
He did reply to this posting when Rev Devil contacted him.
Maybe he just needs more time...

I hope he keeps his word and contacts those of us who have trusted him with our money and our knives.

... A little communication goes a long way...

Last edited:
I did some digging and it turns out that I dealt with this person through ebay last year. Short story is that I sent an offer and he replied that the offer was OK if we did the deal outside of ebay and promised that paypal would still protect my purchase. I reluctantly agreed, and that's when he asked me to send a paypal "gift" - we're talking nearly $400. The promise that paypal would still protect my purchase was just a ruse.

You can read the full story here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...u-they-re-catching-on?p=10006779#post10006779

I guess it was just a matter of time for him to find blade forums and start the same kind of shady dealing.

Last edited:
Back