1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Knives Made in China thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by adotc, Jun 18, 2011.

1. adotc

adotc

Jul 17, 2010
    Hey guys,

I was wondering what opinions or thoughts you guys may have on knives that are made in China? The reason why I ask this, I am curious what knife enthusisast think about this issue.
    I know there are great knife companies out that make a usa line, then there is a overseas line. For example kershaw has a new usa line for 2011, which I must say looks outstanding and they have a overseas line that looks great as well. Materials for the overseas line is obviously a lower end steel, not to say the steel is poor either or quality.
    I just feel kind of weird buying a knife that is made in China when you can buy a great usa made knife for 10 dollars more, plus the quality is going to be right on and the money stays in country. Now, I'm not saying that is the case for every usa made knife company, there are good and bad ones I'm just saying in general. Another example of a great knife company that has good quality and design is CRKT but almost all of there knives are made overseas. So let me know your guys' thoughts on this issue. If a knife is just a knife to you and you don't care were it comes from then post that. I would live to here some opinions. Take it easy

2. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    If this discussion turns to China-bashing or the politics of economic relations, I will close it.

3. The Government

The Government

Aug 21, 2009
    My opinion could probably be summed up by the chorus from the song, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."

I enjoy rooting for the "home team" the most, but I can appreciate all the "teams" that make the "game" exist.

4. awh

awh

Oct 20, 2010
    i have a benchmade nagara and a meyerco shockwave both made in china and they are just about my two favorite knives.

5. Gunsnknives

Gunsnknives

Mar 26, 2011
    Honestly we all know the benefit of buying locally made products. However, if I ignore those and only examine the quality of the knives and steels, I do not see a reason to buy Chinese made knives, at least for my criteria. If budget is extremely tight and cost is the main consideration, then Chinese knives are hard to beat. If quality and craftsmanship start becoming a consideration, Chinese knives lose...at least for today.

6. RxEnergy

RxEnergy

Apr 2, 2008
    No thank you. I will consider some made in Taiwan though.

7. HandofCod

HandofCod

Feb 27, 2010
    For me country of origin is not necessarily an inference on quality as much as it used to be. I am completely happy to buy brands that I like and trust from China or Taiwan, or Japan for that matter. If it means a cheaper more accessible product then I consider that I win for the consumer (ie me.)

8. manowar669

manowar669

Oct 1, 2002
    I have a kershaw chill and love it.

9. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    When it comes to knives in the $10 - $30 price bracket you really can't over look some of what they are producing...Rough Rider knives are quite impressive for the coin laid out, I still have my Queen, GEC, Remington made knives but for an expendable work knife or inexpensive gifts Chinese made knives are quite fun to purchase (and alot of the time to modify).

The quality thing brought up a lot to me seems like a cop out when domestic companies like Case have been putting out some trash in the $30 - $70 price bracket...I am speaking mainly for traditional knives, I haven't had much desire to buy modern designs for a while now but Sanrenmu and Enlan do have some models I want to buy like the EL-02B.

10. bomber258

bomber258

Mar 31, 2009
    I am not going to bash china.

But I have gotten rid of all my knives that were made there,I found that for the most part they were so poorly made that I found them dangerous to use.

AND so hard to sharpen that it was not worth the time.

I am asked often to sharpen friends blades and will refuse if they hand me a chinese blade.

All I ask is QUALITY and a real attempt at craftmanship.

11. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    This horse has been beat to death already. So much so that there are several dozen threads already available tosee what the outcomes were.
    For me, no thanks. U.S.A., Taiwan, Japan, and Europe are fine.

12. RByers91

RByers91

Oct 13, 2010
    I personally dont really care. As long as the company has good qc then I'm fine with it. Kershaw, benchmade, and spyderco are some companies that fit that category.

13. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    I had a Chinese Buck 371 (large stockman) that I loved. Fit and finish were great, spring strength felt greater than that of my American-made 303, and I liked ergos and performance of the steel. I also have a Buck Redpoint that's quite nice, and am eyeing Byrd knife or two.

14. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    I dunno what brands you were getting but Sanrenmu, Enlan, Bee, Rough rider, Kissing crane and a few others were all VERY easy to sharpen and held quite a nice edge...likewise quality hasn't been an issue, had more issues with domestic companies but domestic companies will rectify issues if they are present which is a bonus (you're not going to send a $10 knife back, its just not worth the effort and cost).

15. Vanguard41xx

Vanguard41xx

Dec 29, 2010
    China has produced some nice knives, lately. Spyderco, Benchmade, and Kershaw are fine examples. Rough Rider slip-joints are also a decent company for the money. But S&W, Schrade, and United Cutlery are bad examples of what China can produce. I think Taiwan has become better and better since the 1980's Rambo Style Knives.

For me? I'd rather spend my money on USA, Sweden and Switzerland.

16. festerfromnzed

festerfromnzed

Aug 18, 2008
    Down here in New Zealand we dont have much choice in buying imported knives>SVORD being the only full time maker,so to speak..I own many knives from so called (good) makers,Al Mar,Benchmade,ZT,etc etc...and a number of cheap chinese knives too (cold steel)mainly....I have been very impressed with the Chinese knives so far...dirt cheap and good quality for what they are.....just my .02.......FES

17. Sulaco

Sulaco Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2003
    I try not to buy anything that's made in China, especially if I have a choice.

18. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    Meh, I generally avoid them, chiefly because so many are made with the 8cr13MoV type steels. I really don't like those steels...

19. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    Svord you can't go past though, I got one for my wife recently and now i'm jealous! its such a nice knife.

20. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    There really aren't many Chinese imports I'm interested in owning. So far. What I'd like to see, Chinese-made knives from Chinese companies.

Here's an attractive exception: designed by Xikar, a Kanasa City company, and made in China:
    [​IMG]