1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Large Mouth Military Canteen

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Katdaddy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Katdaddy

Katdaddy

Aug 6, 2007
    I was watching a show on Marine mountain training on the Military channel the other day. The Marines were using what looked like a regular plastic GI canteen, but it had a large mouth and a blue lid that looked like a Nalgene lid. Anybody familiar with these??

2. bltjr1951

bltjr1951

Sep 30, 2007
  3. ROCK6

ROCK6 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2004
    They were experimental and as far as I know, they never went into production beyond that initial amount. I remember seeing some pop up on some tactical forum websites.

ROCK6

4. Katdaddy

Katdaddy

Aug 6, 2007
    That explains why I have been unable to find anything on them.

Thanks!!

5. Brokensj

Brokensj

Mar 5, 2009
    Never seen em. Still being issued 1 or 2 qts and cambel backs. However I am heading to bridgeport in may for Mountain Warfare Training Course. Pumped!

6. sawc302

sawc302

Jun 24, 2010
    I saw the show about USMC survival training and saw the canteens you mention. I looked all over the web and could not find them. So I made one and I like it !

I took a Nalgene 32 oz wide mouth HDPE bottle, (not the lexan model). I filled the bottle about half full with boiling water which softened the plastic and then stuffed the bottle into my GI canteen cup. I Then poured out the hot water and re-filled with cool water. The bottle now slides in and out of the cup just fine.

The bottle and canteen cup fit in a MOLLE canteen pouch made by TRU-SPEC which I bought from Brigade Quartermaster.

I also replaced the factory furnished bottle cap with a unit made by "Humangear" called the Capcap.

7. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Sawc that is a great tip!!!

8. kage

kage

Oct 25, 2006
    Sawc302, now that's a great idea! I like the fact that the canteen cups are larger than the Space Saver cups, and lighter too when you get the aluminum version. Plus you can get a solid fuel stove for the canteen cup. Any pics? This may be my next project!

9. AZWaterRat

AZWaterRat

May 13, 2008
    Sawc302, that is a great idea and i'm going to try it later tonight. Thanks for the tip. Have you guys checked out the Nato water bottle sold by bestglide.com? I own two and they are great canteens. They have a wide mouth top and fit into the crusader canteen cup. I don't know if they fit into the standard GI canteen cup though.

http://www.bestglide.com/natowaterbottle_info.html

10. kage

kage

Oct 25, 2006
    AZWaterRat: That's a pretty cool set up but I'm surprised to see the price of it. The complete kit with cooker is nice, but VERY pricey for what it is:
    http://www.bestglide.com/integral_survival_unit_info.html

A lexan Nalgene bottle (which is much better than that canteen) goes for about $8-10, a GSI Space Saver Cup goes for about $9, and an Esbit stove goes for $10-12 with a few fire tabs. It does include a lid, which is definitely a bonus to have, although a piece of aluminum foil costs next to nothing, is nearly weightless and last me multiple trips. The Zulu bag is a nice idea, but it's too bad that it doesn't include a pouch on there so that it can be made into a nice compact survival kit, or at least some PALS ladders so that you can attach MOLLE pouches. At least with a Nalgene you can get carriers like the Maxpedition and the rip off by Condor.

I've seen a lexan canteen at REI. Does anyone know if this fits a canteen cup?

11. A.W.U.K.

A.W.U.K.

Sep 27, 2002
    That's a standard UK 58 pattern bottle I think?

I'm pretty sure they fit into the GI cup but I'm not 100% certain.

12. BlueyM

BlueyM

May 7, 2004
    58 pattern UK canteen is a different shape to the US GI canteen, and will not fit the GI cup.

13. phaserrifle

phaserrifle

Apr 8, 2008
    I have a 58 pattern bottle (actually a copy, but it's identical in size and shape) and a dutch canteen mug (effectively a slightly scaled down version of the US model) and I can fit the water bottle, base first, into the mug. it's a fairly tight fit, but it's not impossible.
    I've never tried it up the other way, but I dare say it would still work just fine.

edit: just tried it, the dutch mugs will fit over the 58patt bottles just fine, so I see no reason why the american ones shouldn't.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  14. A.W.U.K.

A.W.U.K.

Sep 27, 2002
    I've got a Dutch cup and Dutch and US bottles but no 58pattern! Must complete the set :)