Larger or Smaller Scale Spyderco models?

Bigger than the Delica and smaller than the Endura. Call it whatever you want; just make it 3.25" blade with lc200n steel version (salt version)

Personally Id like to see an Endura with a 5" blade, a powerlock and an Emerson wave but maybe thats just me.

Exactly what I thought when I read the topic-line (actually, I think my K2 is puurfecta).

Seriously though;
PM2 w/ 4" Blade
or
Millie w/ Compression-Lock

I must admit that I do like and admire some of the better rated locking systems. But as good of luck as I've had with every Spyderco knife I've ever owned I really don't let whichever locking system a knife has deter me from buying and/or EDCing/using it. I do admit that I really like Spyderco's compression and ball bearing locks both but as far as the Military and/or Para2-3 is concerned I've owned and used both and never had either one give me any trouble with the lock at all.

I've owned and used and EDCed at least 4 different Military models over the years and I've never had any of the locking systems fail on me yet.

As far as seeing a larger version of the Para2??? Actually on the surface I really like that idea. But they need not to change the lock on the C-36 Military model>> at least not for me anyway.

If they were to make a larger scale Military model I really wouldn't be intrigued because if I need a blade that big I'll always go with a Spyderco fixed blade instead of a folder.

Now I would like to see a larger scale SUPERHAWK at some point in SE of course.

I carry a Delica 4 for general use, it's the perfect size. However, I also carry a Meadowlark 2, as it's capable of fitting in the pocket of my jacket.

Exactly what I thought when I read the topic-line (actually, I think my K2 is puurfecta).

Seriously though;
PM2 w/ 4" Blade
or
Millie w/ Compression-Lock

I must admit that I do like and admire some of the better rated locking systems. But as good of luck as I've had with every Spyderco knife I've ever owned I really don't let whichever locking system a knife has deter me from buying and/or EDCing/using it. I do admit that I really like Spyderco's compression and ball bearing locks both but as far as the Military and/or Para2-3 is concerned I've owned and used both and never had either one give me any trouble with the lock at all.

I've owned and used and EDCed at least 4 different Military models over the years and I've never had any of the locking systems fail on me yet.

As far as seeing a larger version of the Para2??? Actually on the surface I really like that idea. But they need not to change the lock on the C-36 Military model>> at least not for me anyway.

If they were to make a larger scale Military model I really wouldn't be intrigued because if I need a blade that big I'll always go with a Spyderco fixed blade instead of a folder.

Now I would like to see a larger scale SUPERHAWK at some point in SE of course.

JD Spydco,

Please do not take anything I have written to indicate that I have any issue with the lock on a Military. I probably could have done a better job with my wording :-o

I have many years of carrying and/or using a Military, I currently own at least 5 Millies (liner-locks & RIL's) and have only had one that experienced lock slip under slow pressure loading of the spine. I have enjoyed the Walker Liner-Lock design for a long time (and understand that a number of the liner-locks function acceptably even without key design that made the Walker was it was/is).

My comments related to a PM2 with a larger blade more relate to the semi-perfect handle length and geometry (my experiences) being easily capable of housing a longer blade than the sub 3.5" factory PM2 install. Having historically come from a Military (with somewhat closer to a 1:1 ratio), I perhaps should have stated ...

PM2 with blade length that fills the handle (perhaps ~3.8").

I admit I am not holding out for the long discussed Military-2 (possibly with Power-Lock design) as that does not really appeal to me personally, and believe the current liner-lock & RIL are plenty adequate for the blade design and intended usage applications.

I would however get in line to purchase;
1) a longer bladed PM2 as my experiences related to the compression lock are quite favorable and I really like the handle size & ergo's.
Or, optionally ...,
2. a Military with liner-compression-lock (think PM2) and/or handle-compression-lock (think original Ti ATR).

Couple pictures because pictures are well ...

Millie-3x-PM2-Sage2-1.jpg

4-Ti-Mic-Mili.jpg

Last edited:
[(liner-locks & RIL's)

I'm going to pick on you just because you're already back pedaling. *joke*
It's not a RIL. Otherwise everyone in the industry would be paying license. It's a frame-lock.

Peace out....

I'm going to pick on you just because you're already back pedaling. *joke*
It's not a RIL. Otherwise everyone in the industry would be paying license. It's a frame-lock.

Peace out....
Always nice being "picked on"
You must be a CR fanboy ...*joke*

It was my understanding Spyderco actually did pay a license/royalty fee to CR ... for the RIL begining with the Ti-Military. Perhaps I am mistaken, and you could help me out?

I don't mind being picked, if/when there is something for me to learn. Every day that goes by ..., the more I learn the less I know ;-)

Regards,

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

There is a distinct difference between being legally correct and morally or ethically correct. While you may not be legally compelled to call it a RIL it is certainly Spyderco's style to pay homage to the inventor. Paying licensing fees or not doesn't change the fact that he was the first to do it and IMO it is classy to give credit where credit is due.

This lock issue that Brother "SPEY" brought to the table is quite interesting pertaining to the subject matter of this thread i.e. smaller/larger scale modifications for certain Spyderco models. Because when you think about either making a certain model larger in scale and overall size or going the other direction "smaller" it might just indeed mandate that a modified model might just do better with a different locking system.

As much of a fanatic about the C-36 Military model as I am there have indeed been times I've wondered what a compression lock similar to the one used on the older GUNTING model would do for that particular model as far as performance enhancement? I've also fantasized how a ball bearing lock might fare with the C-36 Millie as well.

And on the other side of the spectrum you might not be able to use certain locking systems that you would desire if you were to make some models smaller in size and scale. But I digress because again I'm going on record as saying truthfully that I've personally never had any of Spyderco's locking systems ever fail on me. Now that might just be good fortune or it might be because I'm very picky about how I take care of all of my Spyders. I never give them a chance to need lubrication, cleaning or neither do I neglect any type of method to preserve them for the long haul.

But the subject of locking systems really does merit a lot of consideration when considering revamping a popular Spyder model in either larger or smaller size/scale.

There is a distinct difference between being legally correct and morally or ethically correct. While you may not be legally compelled to call it a RIL it is certainly Spyderco's style to pay homage to the inventor. Paying licensing fees or not doesn't change the fact that he was the first to do it and IMO it is classy to give credit where credit is due.

Sal does give credit where it's due. He just recently tipped his hat for the Razz Delica.

Classy for sure.

Drangonfly 2 in a larger model, Endura with 0.2" less of blade. Pretty much thats it cause the Paramilitary 2 is my favorite and it comes in all sizes

Drangonfly 2 in a larger model, Endura with 0.2" less of blade. Pretty much thats it cause the Paramilitary 2 is my favorite and it comes in all sizes

That's an interesting consideration for a larger scale model. Because I was also thinking that some of the other older small models might benefit from a larger scale blade & handle. One model that immediately comes to mind is the older SPUR model. It's been one of my all time favorite Spyderco designs for some time and I really love that blade geometry on that model.

Even that specialized fixed blade model called the SPOT would even be cool in a larger scale. I also can't help but wonder if the D'Alton TOAD model might be better in a larger scale.

You guys are bringing some interesting models up for consideration for sure.

Back