Learn to spot em! - Post 2004 Schrade Replica Knives

G'day Bruce, late 70's would be right....Codgers' research on the LB7's has already revealed the following:
17,693 first produced in 1977.......Numbers 17694 to 334585 were then produced in 1978......Numbers 334586 to 785250 were produced in 1979......yours is a very early number made in 1977. I believe Codger has one numbered 326. Trust this helps. Hoo Roo.
Yes it does, THANKS! :)
-Bruce

and the last one so far had a serial number of BBxxxxx. then they stopped serializing. also there are plain 4 pin LB 7's which were replacement knives for lost knives i believe having gotten one.

G'day Bruce, late 70's would be right....Codgers' research on the LB7's has already revealed the following:
17,693 first produced in 1977.......Numbers 17694 to 334585 were then produced in 1978......Numbers 334586 to 785250 were produced in 1979......yours is a very early number made in 1977. I believe Codger has one numbered 326. Trust this helps. Hoo Roo.

Even mimicked the name of the Bear Paw by using the name of another large North American game animal, yes? :tickled_pink:

C'mon now Michael lol Even avid Schrade collectors can't re-write history. "Buck" is from the last name of the companies founder Hoyt Buck.

The Buck 110 came out in late 1963 or early 1964 so it definitely predated the LB7.

C'mon now Michael lol Even avid Schrade collectors can't re-write history. "Buck" is from the last name of the companies founder Hoyt Buck.

The Buck 110 came out in late 1963 or early 1964 so it definitely predated the LB7.

Not so fast. Hoyt Buck was a blacksmith, not a cutler. Baer had been in cutlery (not blacksmithing) since circa 1921. Buck didn't make a single known knife until 1941 (after Pearl Harbor), fixed blades and they were made from old files. Baer even made folding knives for Buck. I suppose they are harder to make from old files and other scrap metal. Buck couldn't figure out how to repair Swinden bolster knives (like Orvet does in his home shop), so Baer had them made with old-fashioned bolster pins in his other factory, Camillus.

As Abe Lincoln said, "It is amazing the information you can find on the internet". ;)

Not so fast. Hoyt Buck was a blacksmith, not a cutler. Baer had been in cutlery (not blacksmithing) since circa 1921. Buck didn't make a single known knife until 1941 (after Pearl Harbor), fixed blades and they were made from old files. Baer even made folding knives for Buck. I suppose they are harder to make from old files and other scrap metal. Buck couldn't figure out how to repair Swinden bolster knives (like Orvet does in his home shop), so Baer had them made with old-fashioned bolster pins in his other factory, Camillus.

As Abe Lincoln said, "It is amazing the information you can find on the internet". ;)

Fair enough. I "wiki-ed" it too.

How about this for a source? 2006 post: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/436394-Codger-which-came-first-Chicken-or-Egg

Quote: "Ted is correct. Buck was first with this style of lockback knife. 1977 is the first inkling of the LB7 production I can find, though it might have been under pre-production R&D in 1976 or before. Now, enter Puma, Colonial, Camillus and every other knife maker of this genre. In hand, the 110 and LB7 are quite different, though of the same pattern. Designing a folding knife pattern new to the arts so much that it is patentable is rare. Predecessors to the 110 can be found. Earlier knives with back locks can be found. If Al Buck had a problem with Schrade's LB7 design, would he have had Schrade continue to make knives for them?

Codger"

Fair enough. I "wiki-ed" it too.

How about this for a source? 2006 post: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/436394-Codger-which-came-first-Chicken-or-Egg

Quote: "Ted is correct. Buck was first with this style of lockback knife. 1977 is the first inkling of the LB7 production I can find, though it might have been under pre-production R&D in 1976 or before. Now, enter Puma, Colonial, Camillus and every other knife maker of this genre. In hand, the 110 and LB7 are quite different, though of the same pattern. Designing a folding knife pattern new to the arts so much that it is patentable is rare. Predecessors to the 110 can be found. Earlier knives with back locks can be found. If Al Buck had a problem with Schrade's LB7 design, would he have had Schrade continue to make knives for them?

Codger"

Improperly posted Codger quote. Post reported.

Seriously man, just go with the flow. History is always revised by those who write it. You want to hear how Uncle Henry started Spyderco or not? :confused:

:p

Ahhh... Humor in text sometimes hard to de-cipher. I like to think Uncle Henry invented the knife itself. You're preachin' to the converted! :p

Ahhh... Humor in text sometimes hard to de-cipher. I like to think Uncle Henry invented the knife itself. You're preachin' to the converted! :p

No, Albert was the knife guy while Henry was still selling furniture in Uncle Sim's store in NYC. I remember Albert helping Henry stay caught up on furniture sales when Henry was confined to Bellvue Hospital after he fell four stories down the elevator shaft. Albert was selling knives then.

Adolph Koester (Kastor) invented the knife and pulled his brothers Nathan, Augustus, and Sigmund (Alfred and Robert came later) into his trade. Or maybe it was Adolph's uncle Aaron Koester who first invented the knife. Or his partner, Henry. Henry Bodenheim was Albert and Henry Baer's grandfather. He was a hardeware man in Vicksburg until shortly after that nasty war thing. Then he moved to New York and went into buisness with Aaron and another guy.

Here's one that fetched a good price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290595103417&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My gut is telling me this is a Taylor knife. Colour of handle, nylon sheath etc is what is making me think this.

What do you think guys? Taylor product?
#1When did Schrade drop the name "Walden" from it's knives?
#2 When did they add the name Walden back on?
My instinct tells me this is a Taylor (Chinese) assembly too. Possibly assembled with a mixture of leftover U.S.A. and Chinese parts? :rolleyes:
-Bruce

Taylor. USA made by Utica is my guess. I do not believe and of the knives Taylor contracted out had genuine USA pre 2004 parts.

Taylor. USA made by Utica is my guess. I do not believe and of the knives Taylor contracted out had genuine USA pre 2004 parts.

That's spot-on what I was thinking Hal. I've seen recent Utica knives that remind me of this one. If you look really close at pic #2 there is another stamp on the pile side of the clip blade which likely is the pattern number. I wonder if it was purposefully absent from the description :confused:

My guess is it's overlooked to complete the illusion of pre-2004 Schrade. It sure doesn't look like a pre-1973 knife which is when that tang stamp was mainly used. Looks like it was made yesterday, etch and all.

#1When did Schrade drop the name "Walden" from it's knives?
#2 When did they add the name Walden back on?
My instinct tells me this is a Taylor (Chinese) assembly too. Possibly assembled with a mixture of leftover U.S.A. and Chinese parts? :rolleyes:
-Bruce

"Walden" was mostly dropped at the end of 1972/early 1973 except for a few nostalgia knives produced aroung the turn of the century.

You think Taylor may have contracted Utica to have these knives made in The U.S.A.? Better than China I suppose. ;)
-Bruce

They contracted some of the Schrade Walden marked knives to Utica, Bear & Sons, and Camillus. The Camillus and Utica knives they tried real hard to make them look like pre 1973 packaging...

Back