1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Let's make a sword.

Discussion in 'Newberry Knives' started by Allen Newberry, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2007
    So, I decided to make a sword. The first thing that this meant is that I needed to make a sword heat treating forge. Here is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]image upload

2. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2007
  3. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    I ground the blade etc. then started chopping random objects to make sure it will do what it should when I put it all together.

[​IMG]

Eventually... Peening the tang.

[​IMG]

I still need to do a few odds and ends before it is truly finished. But, it is to the stage of being a fully functional sword.

4. timichango

timichango Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gnarly. Are those barrels insulated?

What's the heat source? O/A torch?

5. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    The barrels are lined with 1" thick 8# simwool. It is fired with a weed burner.

6. Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

Here it is hanging in my living room. I still need to do a few things. But, I figured I wouldn't mind staring at it during commercials.