1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Let's see some miniature knives!

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by the possum, Jul 16, 2007.

1. the possum

the possum

Jul 31, 2002
    These don't seem very popular on bladeforums in general; searching only turns up pictures of a handful I already saw last year. I note many knife shows give an award for best miniature, but they rarely show pictures of 'em, focusing on the bowies, hunters, and fighters.

So, anyone here got some cool minis they could share? Any interest in 'em in general?

(I seem to recall STeven doesn't like them, so I won't hold my breath for pictures from him. :) )

2. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Dislike is putting it mildly, Mr. Possum......I HATE THEM.:grumpy:

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

3. the possum

the possum

Jul 31, 2002
    Wow. Only took you two minutes to voice your disdain in person. :) You got some kinda alarm that goes off when certain keywords appear on this forum? :D :D

4. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    I scan the new title page about 20-30 times a day, certain words trigger responses.:eek:

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

5. sceva

sceva

Sep 18, 2002
    Does this qualify.

Geno Denning made this up for me. It is a small version of his GM model that I call my mini. Geno may be calling it the MGM but I'm not sure. Mine is the first made and resulted from a conversation I had with Mr. Denning about a small knife which he turned into a little work of art. It is marked prototype instead of being serialized
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sceva

6. the possum

the possum

Jul 31, 2002
    At this point it looks like I'll have to be satisfied with whatever responses I get! Thought I might get at least a couple interested parties in this thread... Thanks for sharing.

That's a pretty cool knife though. What are the specs? Do you carry/use it?

7. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Not just a miniature, but a miniature with a Spanish Notch.... :eek: ;) :D

[​IMG]

Coop

8. Bladeandbarrel

Bladeandbarrel

Oct 5, 1998
    I have always thought they were a pretty dumb idea myself.

9. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    I care little for miniatures but I would have bought (paid money) for one of those mini bowies you showed me at the St.Louis show a few years ago. They were incredible.

10. Jared Stenoien

Jared Stenoien

Dec 4, 2005
    Stacy Apelt makes some really nice miniature katana's.

11. notdos

notdos

Oct 2, 2000
    Colin Cox Large and Small Black Widow Subhilts. "Large" Subhilt has a BL of only 2 3/4" with an OAL of 4 3/4" approx. The "Small" has a BL of 1 7/8" with an OAL of only 2 9/16" approximately.

[​IMG]

12. Chuck Ward

Chuck Ward

Mar 18, 2006
    Lee won the Best Miniature at the Arkansaas Show this year with this nice knife.

Chuck

[​IMG]

13. Hmathews

Hmathews

Feb 22, 2005
    Here are a couple we made a while back. We use them on the name badges we wear at knife shows, and hope no body asks us to make one for them. They are fun to make though and we can be bought. They do help use up some of the stuff we save for no particular reason that either of us is aware of (packrats I guess). They both are made of damascus and old ivory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm just don't care for them. But it's good that some do.

15. 2knife

2knife

Mar 13, 2002
    Miniatures are for nothing. Just for saying you can make a small knife that looks like a big knife. BUT, what is this collecting thing after all?

However, I submit, no one in this thread would not happily accept a miniature given to them by their favorite maker. Hate it or not. So, it's more about the purpose.. where there is surely no purpose. The pure joy of "art". Something custom knives is so famous for, and yet there are dissenters. Yes, Count me as one. I'll line up with the boys i usually fight with. For this brief episode. And, I have a poor eye and I do not understand the miniature. And, someone who wins the award.

Knife collecting is about stamps, baseball cards and a limited edition of something that someone is selling.

Scagel made them too.
    David

16. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I just don't see Ed Fowler making a minature.

17. 2knife

2knife

Mar 13, 2002
    Kevin,
    Yep, it's been done too. At least two of them that I know of..
    All the best, friends.
    David

18. sceva

sceva

Sep 18, 2002
    The blade is about 2 1/2 inches and the overall length is about 5 1/2 - 6" inches.
    It has a tapered tang, there is a red liner between the stag and the tang. It is a GM model scaled down in every way. The blade is 154CM or ATS34. I really like GenO's knives and believe that he gives you a top grade knife for a very reasonable price. I think that he out did himself on this one. It would make a great small game / bird knife but I don't carry or use this one. I have others to use but this one is special and I do not want to scratch it up.

sceva

19. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    I have actually seen some Fowlers that probably qualify as 'minis'. Possibly a little bigger then the ones posted but close. I cant remember where but it was at random dealers tables. They all looked old and slightly tarnished but have his logo on the guard.

20. ddd

ddd KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 6, 2003
    Hello everyone,

Four of Jim Martin's miniature folders are displayed beside his full size
    "Pirate Knife". The miniatures are 1" (25.4 mm) long.
    These miniatures are part of the display of Tom and Gwen Guinn's
    collection from my book The Great Collections, recently
    released at the BLADE Show in Atlanta.

The gold coin was the reference scale piece that was included with every
    picture in this 10 page display.

This is what Tom and Gwen say about their collection:
    "The majority of our knives are one-of-a-kind miniature knives. many of
    the knives in our displays have won untold numbers of awards for their
    makers along the way (several Best of Show and Best Miniature knives).
    We win Display Awards almost everywhere we go. The driving force, for
    displaying our collection, is to educate everyone in this astounding art
    form. We want to share the thrill and wonder of these little beauties
    with the world, keeping the interest in miniature knives alive, so that
    they do not become an endangered species!"

All the best,
    David (ddd)

[​IMG]