1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Let's see some new steel!!

Discussion in 'Battle Creek Knives' started by BaldingEagle, Sep 9, 2012.

1. BaldingEagle

BaldingEagle

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey Rob,
    The title says it all. You need to help satisfy our addiction. :D
    All the best!
    Balding

2. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    LOL, I'm working on it...:)

Last week I was swamped at work and was down help, so I had to work through the holiday weekend as well..

so this weekend I just wanted to spend a little time with the kids because I know this coming week is going to be a taste of the same.... I'm hopeful to get some shop time in between and I have a few new designs I'm working on and I'm eager to get them going..

my apologizes to anyone I was going to send pics to of knives they were interested in etc.. I've just been taking it easy over the weekend, tomorrow.. is another day.. :D

Masters of Metal, Agents of Steel...

rob

3. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Patience is a virtue.

4. BaldingEagle

BaldingEagle

Feb 16, 2010
    Rob
    I have no doubt that the wait will be worth it! Can't wait to see some of the new designs.
    All the best
    Balding

5. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    resurrect this old thread to showcase what I've (finally) been up to lately..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heat treated 4 pieces tonight, tomorrow I will be testing them..

6. casula999

casula999

Oct 11, 2012
    There you go Rob! Welcome back! Keep going Bro!
    I hope it helps you and pleases you to be back at it!
    Cheers! Max

7. AurevoirGopher

AurevoirGopher

Sep 5, 2012
    Ahh, the sweet smell of quenched steel.

8. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    Thanks man, slow but sure but it sure feels good ..

LOL, yeah I can take it up til about the 4th blade :) I used to do batches of 6 at a time but that's just too much for me to bare, besides when the wife travels though the shop without fail she mentions how nasty it is.. So with a smaller batch I don't hear any complaints.....

9. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    here's the first four of the new year... and since, (well you know)..
    [​IMG]

my fancy garage find, think I paid a whole $5... nice !!!
    [​IMG]

My quenchent pot sitting on the cooker..
    [​IMG]

Soak time..
    [​IMG]

knives cooling after quench
    [​IMG]

selected my wife's late step dad's quilted maple (30yrs kiln dried) for the scales for the first knife of '13 !!!
    [​IMG]

Scales drilled out and precut
    [​IMG]

I drill some recess holes to allow the epoxy a place to hide...
    [​IMG]

finished edge before gluing up scales
    [​IMG]

here you see the pins/tube installed, in my excitement I grabbed the wrong pins these were a little to short normally I have them sticking out of the handles a bit more, also I didn't realize I had placed the grain on one pin wrong (until I took the pic :) )
    [​IMG]

all glued up and ready to roll ..
    [​IMG]

10. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    I've got the profile rough sanded, last week I ripped my pinky nail off and its a nasty situation let me tell ya..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    that looks really good!

12. maw

maw Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Wow Rob, I am glad to see you back in action! This all looks really swell and I hope you are having a good time getting back into it!

Mark

13. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    thanks guys...

yeah its a slow go but exciting nonetheless.. Hopefully I'll get some family/living loose ends ties up and I'll be able to dedicate more time for steel... So far everything I'm making is already taken so no sales threads yet until I get caught up... .

14. BaldingEagle

BaldingEagle

Feb 16, 2010
    Rob
    Good to see you back at it again. And that high tech quinch pot.
    Doug

15. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    thanks man, hey Doug I have something coming your way very soon.. Matter of fact sooner then you may think.. long time coming brother..

you know you want that stove top.. :)

16. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    After not grinding for 6 months it takes a toll, I can't stand still for long periods of time without my knee killing me..(from the accident). I'm using this knife in a passaround I have going on so I'm not going to fluff it but leave it plain and simple.. Its going to be used up pretty good, I did a little whittling in the garage, battoned some 2x4 and it still had a really decent edge dulled it a little but was still able to shave and cut paper ok...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  17. TMHunt

TMHunt Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 15, 2012
    Good lookin piece Rob. Good to see ya making sparks again!

18. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    that came out really nice -- looking forward to the passaround!

19. BaldingEagle

BaldingEagle

Feb 16, 2010
    Rob
    Thats a great looking bushcrafter! I can see more bartering in the future
    All the best
    Doug

20. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    thanks guys...

Todd, yeah its a bit of a struggle throwing those sparks at the moment but I'll press through it... need to build me a stool or something...

Erik you and me both... been a long time coming and the more I play with this design the more I like it, but I may be partial because its the first thing I've done since my delima.... its like riding a bike again except I'm a little wobbly:)

Doug, we'll catch up .. I still have your sheaths I need to fill with some steel..