LETS SEE THOSE MAGNIFICENT HJ's

Duncan, great pictures and a great punch story...OUCH!!! You are so welcome for the HJ9 but all is fair in love and war. As in THANK YOU FOR THE HJ10 my friend that you gifted me:thumbup:

I always love to read your posts as no one is more passionate and thankful than you. I thought I got excited getting a knife:D your always so happy for those who receive their knives and here you have to wait in agony for weeks until yours arrive. What comes to mind is "the patience of a Saint":thumbup:

Hmmmm, Saint Duncan? The patron Saint of Knives:cool::D:thumbup:

Sorry about the finger, Duncan!
If it makes you feel any better, I have shaved some skin off of my thumb twice with that Devil of a punch!! Only once drew blood though - I have now learned to respect it!!
Glad you like them! You have some great examples. Mine are not as dark as yours - the vagaries of production.
Like Bob, I took a stone to the one sticking - problem solved!!

Thank you Charlie, I have kept The Darker one for the Queen, I have bled now three times- man...I am either going to really hate this knife or really love it :)...I suspect the later, I am just gently sanding with Fine wet and dry the back of the punch and taking my time!
Thank you once again Charlie- again and awesome design, and I appreciate what Bill said- and yourself in your fix -it thread of the HJ9, When we demand such a model - we as users dont get to appreciate the difficulty in a Master Cutler like Bill trying to fine tune to the thousandths to get clearance or tolerances in such a small confined space, then you have guys demanding refunds etc without the total understanding that we in wanting the design actually created the problem - leaving the poor cutler to try and deal with it - all for a $100 at the end of it...really? I feel sorry for Bill - you guys did real good.

hope your finger is ok! im still waiting on mine to get here, later batch. fix put in. but kinda wishing i had the original not that its a huge deal

Finger( s) are fine :) I have got the knife sweet now, just sanded the back of the Punch down slowly and slightly - and I mean slightly rounded the edges of the back of the Punch -taking Charlies advice that these are needed to help the Punch. Opens and closes perfectly, It was a good fight- both the Knife and myself lost a bit of iron lol.

Finger( s) are fine :) I have got the knife sweet now, just sanded the back of the Punch down slowly and slightly - and I mean slightly rounded the edges of the back of the Punch -taking Charlies advice that these are needed to help the Punch. Opens and closes perfectly, It was a good fight- both the Knife and myself lost a bit of iron lol.

Glad to hear Duncan, I think tomorrow between football games I will do the same with my HJ9:thumbup:

Thanks Duncan and I agree, I checked in on that thread and continue to daily. Well so much for tomorrow between games, I just came from the garage and Wala!!! I'm done, I made quick work of the ever so slight mod. Again like you and others have said...close tolerance's make you appreciate the craftsmanship and skill to make a jewel of a knife work.

Mine needed a little work and was coming along just fine but once every few pulls it would hesitate...no hesitation at all now, it mirrors my HJ10 which is flawless.

No, I do have these at home now my friend :), I do however have a few Vintage/ Antique ones at my North Dakota Post office though. I am watching e-bay as you learn NEVER to trust a man with Irish Blood.

I couldnt turn mu back on yet another HJ9 that was up on the forums, I wanted one to send to my good mate Jack - so I mentioned this to Jack - and Jack being Jack is too Humble to accept - but Jack -have a look at this photo because one of these HJ9's is yours my friend!

I am so lucky to have Mr. Paul Hilborn who secured a HJ9 for me -Paul...thank you SO SO MUCH for this wonderful gift - I owe you SO much my friend - and I will think of you when I use this knife daily, you are such a generous person to so so many here - we sure are lucky to have you in our company my friend, it means an awful lot to me.

So - thanks to Paul I can carry out my plan is to Queen a HJ9 simply because I am collecting HJ's, but I also dont want to miss out on using one...and of course our Jack will have one- hence me having 3.....and I could NOT go past the HJ10!!!!

Sincere apologies for having completely missed this post until now :eek: Thanks guys :thumbup:

nice one Jack - NO need to apologise whatsoever my friend- just get that HJ out and workin'

Have a wonderful Christmas matey.

This knife is a bit rough but I think it's interesting. The stamp appears to be "JM Thompson Minneapolis"... the first and last letters in the first line are faint. If Goins' is correct, then the stamp was used by Thompson Hardware Co from 1910-1923... at least 93 years ago.

It has a single spring with a catch bit. Half stops on both the blade and punch. Cut out on the handle to reach the nail nick on the punch. The lack of cover pins is unusual. Tiny triangular tacks were punched from the liners to hold the covers... presumably with the help of glue. This may have made the knife more economical to manufacture and sell to hardworking folks. The covers have pulled away a bit at the ends but not bad for 93 years.

Very Cool Jake! nice to see a different HJ pop up - you know when you think about it, for 93 years old- That Main AND punch still have lots and lots of life left in them! - great to see!

I realized I never did post my Forum knife and Charlies HJ10 in this thread:eek:

Carried both this week both wonderful knives:thumbup:

Drover...

CZm0KV.jpg

fhHhVw.jpg

And my HJ10 that Duncan so generously gifted me, THANK YOU Duncan:thumbup:

LT2sl1.jpg

ZcdQzE.jpg

Beautiful knives, Paul! Your sheath looking good too, seems very pocket-friendly.
I just bought the Ebony version of the HJ #10, down below is a picture after some using.
Thanks for making this one, Mr. Campagna and GEC!
A Happy new Year to everyone on the porch!
mat

Back