1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Lets see your home made knife sharpening devices

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by bpiatt, Jul 21, 2012.

1. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    IMG_2182.jpg This jig will hold about any stone at any angle. Just point the edge at the center of the earth and sharpen away.

T.L.E. Sharp likes this.
  2. DavidHoback

DavidHoback If you see me posting, remind me to STFU & leave.

Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  3. WC53

WC53

Dec 15, 2016
    Dead link

4. Cybertechnico

Cybertechnico

Apr 5, 2011
    Not often on this site, but I have built a jig. It was all about working with what I already had on hand as much as possible. It looks a bit odd, but it is stable. How do I upload an image from my computer?

I tried it, but it now has a ghost image in the post that I cannot delete

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. brasileiro

brasileiro

Aug 26, 2011
    [​IMG] This is the new one.

It's larger and wider than before one.

It's about 11 inch wide by 15,5 inch depth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The joint allow the rod to has useful angle of 60 degrees wider and the depth help me to sharp a small machete without move it side to side. I know that the angle change when I do it but for new enthusiast like me it's more stable. The stability also was reach increasing front side base width like as I said have 11 inch.
    [​IMG]

Also there is magnetics glued in the front of base (base has like a "L" shape (covered with tape) that help hold the knife in place.
    [​IMG]

I can reach 10 to 40 dps with the clamp on the blade. If I turn it and use like edge pro I believe I can go lower, but that's enough for me. Generally I use it for kitchen knifes and EDC knifes like Spyderco Tenacious and Izula. I also made a "mini base" to attach and use for my very small keychain knifes like Grasshopper but there is no clamp for it.
    [​IMG]

The stone holder is a wood piece and there is a leather piece glued just to help hold the stone in place.
    [​IMG]

The stones is 6 inch and sawed in half but I can use 8 inch stone too by moving the stopper ring without compromising the use of full stone depth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So let's see some more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is it.

6. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. cbwx34

cbwx34 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 27, 2004
    Apparently, a lot of people are putting together that "Photobucket P500" sharpener. Gonna have to check it out... :rolleyes:

Cereal_killer likes this.
  8. Nosmo

Nosmo

Jul 12, 2003
    I made this one in 2006. Uses Edgepro stones. I think photobucket no longer hosts third part photos. I am trying out postimage.org.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  9. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Photobucket wants $399.00 to let you 3rd party host! So I downloaded all mine and deleted my account!