Let's see your leather pants!!!

I love the Kydex sheaths that come with survive! knives, but something just feels right about outdoor knives clad in leather. I have tried my hand at my own necker-2 sheath and...failed!! But luckily sagewoid has me covered;
7b0f3746e7a5098e9867523231eee1b7.jpg

I know a lot of the guys around here are craftier than myself, id love to see what you've made or commissioned!!!

If I can find my failed sheath I'll post it up and maybe I'll get inspired to try again [emoji1]

I guess I shouldnt post a pic of me in my leather assless chaps?? :barf:

i got this 4.1 sheath of the bay awhile back, use it on my SK4, I added a bit of cord and a leather belt-loop for dangler-carry:

Cr4FbzMCGCdg3Uh4JduoII8EsZqqMsdCGM31yZ6X6uGHyCgCJJ57i3IOq7OFzQk7sCkdOB8PJt0FStnRoUHRBNvG1Cc56km20Mq-4YibRrwXRvmNvw0tgAnzB-imC7RBOc02nCG6_Lz6kyFH_rY9vt_RmE9NUZsKMv67oqcoVGTYj06eO0fcEhL34RVNbQdmRHkkiX_qj0Nafbt_v8qzHp3ZFQ64kSE4AFEZl9wWcDsUsDG68EXGzSD6EjXQptBd68AAV80fvoyOL2Fn1I728derjPOkXe0fV27OAPrpazr4jV3uao5_Voy48SIPwnEis0toCnjlPC_5q5Y_byOmwKlFG2Kv0BvHPAnCbevZE9Sv7pV9pqNaVsGnzvNFmS8FjqQfSu81w_wsHQMatngx4JPIv7x4BRpuD7qjXfk0j0qXn1Zfq14vbDHCQ4hGZx16KmedZRdPWqDZLrfeScsceskcnFy08LxTjW6iXg-m3mdDpQ4wZhXlnVNgEtUYG0hgThFhVkq7qdP69GDghQNkDf4A0TjNxd-XyAOBbW1pXmtcZBQ3ezg3u35u_6TaGYqBMKw1spxWWAaoZpvF1bzcIOGbCqejbagI5Q7bqj5EntQ5gE49hbm4=w1564-h1173-no

YcmLHvJ9Y31NbIEAQrQHrbLdFWlryl8vXnXhgtVoDlzGDqylyYEvynqdCaGGP1pea6RZP0OAW-UGoV862zGuboM4Yzc7qTkqRg6-Em1xpqhWUPIoLW0Ejn_V7Clvxyfrds-07pCfOZTnaOUNZHX6bmb9Me43zwWnTa-Q5vP6hVuIw8eR0lKxQxzkqHqNHjdFJYKRHbzA38NnRLVy0NyGTEYupw_Jk2XDc0NSiSuHlBadof82R7KwYTKKaUUq3r-eyt4fzhVt6akTfcbOYfXLrjlRLdbMvZCdCYZtH_nqZOfLryqLIxM_I266lxtauTGL12ZWtS71t1kGnlY7eIcKIMOfXv7GinoCj5en5NKvcVngKk5wmXt4So3iPtJDTg2xLA-qZnD_ky31XosEboYs84MMNdH5OCXxlE1AjgX_OfDaIymacDDTSoQqaqbsi4rQ2YtDuGFERMStLGi8KY0rp2gHD_FT3C0YlYrQN_XslGo1Zf-I5CL8PEWO42XExGEBzRHa-ZiKeZQOOAd4QiSb8ip287rDLbJQLtymItlgl5zSscK6sZ1bhY-gOPZ36HTIzZpZfZsASsSYW86SpJcucEjcKeTUMVE1l48BYs1r9REZH_t_Cxed=w1564-h1173-no

4UE9WB06pTAWHhPEvOsd-Z7heOMHBsK26SpvU8hlrM4zMiB8us4SlqoDz1XV0N54G8IppTOjWQ4w6fSl3gvM3FGIoFioWcOVO1DKa3H6-ShD8aZHP9sB2DeMeghE1e52zizJNfkidFN1dh96awpXmIAGStpdPfctOiBaQvAiU-C6-w4Gtots2DFcF2BDi6CZBtVJno6vUm3wFcHXQRlio0g4D1cQFhOJsUH7q39znFnFkQl_BMmUw-6eqmYUsiP305880X_5ZVJqxcXJ-l6YP2olrUdTUIYOJ2Gmw5Pf7XIMAsD-HUPdhDv5WXt26s_ALJskwRrJUxiEMwTke065eD313Cej9cE7REx6XfJn7erLxrsGZOb2D4BzOsheJmBcuc-1UUakmqo0-sdNIM5RYQv81BGlgUR3pb9IfaWnn8077ZnEUEMLGFMgmZms9tc3H25I_ZL4tmcxqlsLDI_RuW3ITRVTHaui08x3AOSZSNjrPChgi-He-jgaVpyqfBom4Ap1aife8AkK4Qbv5BlM6K88gePX8jq10U2GZ0r-pKrCuMsme2YtaYvc7mCNruiXbjA54Zx4CxY0OalQ-UC2yQJoeEmLGwoyKIrnbt89j0O9IoLtG9Mu=w880-h1173-no

That looks awesome chiral, I really like the gauntlet style. My ASH-1 sheath is similar

Me too!

GSOs - Sageleather, Skystorms and one of the first LF GSO sheaths (same as CG's)

Busse and Ka-Bar USMC - Chubby Bear customs and Skystorm

LT Wright, BHK, Viper and a custom made Puukko - JRE Industry & the sheaths that came with the knives

Last edited:
Repurposed Tops BOB leather dangler with a Sagewood belt attachment.
Wet formed and fits an old gen 4.1 really well.

It's cool to see other brands sheaths that work well with gso knives. I love all the various styles people roll with!

I have tried my hand at my own necker-2 sheath and...failed!! But luckily sagewood has me covered;

I know a lot of the guys around here are craftier than myself, id love to see what you've made or commissioned!!!

If I can find my failed sheath I'll post it up and maybe I'll get inspired to try again [emoji1]

Don't buy anything from us stinky leather workers, make your own if you can! I have Paul Long's basic sheaths DVD, it's taught me 99.8% of everything I know about making a good sheath. His video is geared towards people with a sewing machine, but if you add his DVD to commonly available hand stitching tutorials online you've got it all. DON'T use belly leather, chrome tanned, latigo, or other lesser leather. It just doesn't work.

If you're near a Tandy store or other leather working joint to help you with the one-off tools (stitch groovers, edge bevelers, maul, beveling tool, etc. They have classes for almost nothing) I'd be happy to send you Paul's DVD, a block cut piece of good leather, and a piece for the welt for nothing.

Don't buy anything from us stinky leather workers, make your own if you can! I have Paul Long's basic sheaths DVD, it's taught me 99.8% of everything I know about making a good sheath. His video is geared towards people with a sewing machine, but if you add his DVD to commonly available hand stitching tutorials online you've got it all. DON'T use belly leather, chrome tanned, latigo, or other lesser leather. It just doesn't work.

If you're near a Tandy store or other leather working joint to help you with the one-off tools (stitch groovers, edge bevelers, maul, beveling tool, etc. They have classes for almost nothing) I'd be happy to send you Paul's DVD, a block cut piece of good leather, and a piece for the welt for nothing.

Grog, you are a true gentleman! Truth be told I'm a bit of a research nerd when it comes to hobbies. I've got a fair number of the needed tools, and bought a piece of very nice veggie tan non died leather. (Unfortunately I ruined it in the move). The biggest mistake I made on sheath one was adding a belt loop after the fact with rivets... very dumb and made the sheath too tight. I will definitely look into the DVD though! Up to this point I have just been watching YouTube or scrolling through the craftsmen threads. I did successfully make a dog collar/leash for a friend, but that's about it so far. Frankly I just need to try again, but I still haven't unpacked my supplies from the move. This seems like as good a time as any!! I found the pictures before and after I ruined it:

c3567ce82ebdce0634b6713c9f55d20e.jpg
732b411e84cafb9278d149a4336420e0.jpg

Gentleman? I resent that remark. Jerk!

Kidding. I don't like the looks of the leather there, and it's no fault of yours. It looks brittle or something. Not a lost cause though.. did you oil it? Some neatsfoot (NOT neatsfoot mix) may hydrate it right up.

I could figure out a tube or container to send a little bit of neatsfoot, staring at all my little bottles 'o stuff right now.

Gentleman? I resent that remark. Jerk!

Kidding. I don't like the looks of the leather there, and it's no fault of yours. It looks brittle or something. Not a lost cause though.. did you oil it? Some neatsfoot (NOT neatsfoot mix) may hydrate it right up.

Haha noted! The leather on this one was some scrap I got from a coworker whose family owned a tannery. It was not the right leather to use and was pre dyed, but I figured might be ok to practice on. I actually have a couple leather conditioners as well! I'll have to pull out the supplies, take a photo to see what else I might need.

Skystorm (now Patriot Leather) for my 5.1. I bought it when I have my old 5.1. It was always a smidge loose. Now it fits my new spec 5.1 perfectly.

I guess I shouldnt post a pic of me in my leather assless chaps?? :barf:
PM me.

Has Sagewood always been the official unofficial leatherworker for SURVIVE! ? I thought I remember seeing a Hedgehog sheath advertised back in the day. It was a really cool scout carry sheath with a little compartment for an Altoid tin. Maybe it was a similar style done by Sagewood.

There's a lot of great leatherwork in this thread. I've always gravitated towards modern materials like kydex and ballistic nylon. After seeing TR's work with wooden handles and all this Sagewood goodness, I might have to traditionalize one of my GSOs down the road. I need to find a pic of Brian's prototype "sawtooth" sheath which I'm pretty fond of.

PM me.

Has Sagewood always been the official unofficial leatherworker for SURVIVE! ?

He was, now it's just me. Sorry guys, especially considering how slow I make sheaths.

Kidding, kidding, kidding. I love redwood going all crazy pants and making his own sheaths, that's awesome.

Grog, you are a true gentleman! Truth be told I'm a bit of a research nerd when it comes to hobbies. I've got a fair number of the needed tools, and bought a piece of very nice veggie tan non died leather. (Unfortunately I ruined it in the move). The biggest mistake I made on sheath one was adding a belt loop after the fact with rivets... very dumb and made the sheath too tight. I will definitely look into the DVD though! Up to this point I have just been watching YouTube or scrolling through the craftsmen threads. I did successfully make a dog collar/leash for a friend, but that's about it so far. Frankly I just need to try again, but I still haven't unpacked my supplies from the move. This seems like as good a time as any!! I found the pictures before and after I ruined it:

c3567ce82ebdce0634b6713c9f55d20e.jpg
732b411e84cafb9278d149a4336420e0.jpg

I watch my Paul Long DVD's way too much.. they're the best thing ever for new people to the hobby. If you want to check it out let me know, it's good stuff Maynard.

Here is one I made for my 3.5. It ended up a bit tight and now I use it for my Blind Horse Maverick Scout

Back