Lets see your "working" knives

I am not sure what the fixed blade is, I got it in a trade in high school, It is another Buck though.

Blade is about 7 5/8, the cutting edge is 6".

That 110 sure does count! ...at least in my opinion. And the fact that it was your dad's and he passed it down to you definitely gives it more traditional charm.
And what is that fixed blade? Looks like it could be a 124 Frontiersman. Nice!! :thumbup:

Puukkoman got it. The only Buck with a blade that big (and no fuller) is a Buck 124 Frontiersman.

Mora19114.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

This looks like a good place for this. I hit opening day of dove season, in Georgia, Saturday a week ago. I shot six and found five but our group got many more. I took 15 with me and cleaned them the next morning. The Opinel #8 was up for the chore again! This little knife does a great job a cleaning birds and fish so far. Nice sharp-thin-blade. Being my first try at doves I've learned that it's a bunch of effort and work for a very small amount of chow! Later this week I'll wrap these babes in bacon and grill them to my liking.

View attachment 300687View attachment 300688View attachment 300689

Last edited:
These are my knives that i use for processing meat.A hybrid mix of different steels,edge profiles and manufacturers,but they all excel at their specific tasks. FES

chaise010.jpg

And their pants.

sheath2001.jpg

I am not sure if this counts as traditional, but the 110 is the knife my dad used to carry and obviously use a lot, until he gave it to me for my 16th birthday I think.
014.jpg

Whoa. Lot of life left in that 110 frame. If you want to carry the frame your dad carried, Buck will reblade that knife for real cheap - I think around $10. I think for that price, they'll also give it the "spa" treatment of buffing up the bolsters, which you may or may not want them to do, especially if it's an older model (may expose air bubbles in the brass on old ones). No reason why you couldn't get another life time of work and use out of that frame and then pass it on to your kid.

Here's my current "working knife". More dinged up looking that this picture, but you get the idea. It's a Buck Ecolite 112 with a Bucklite 442 drop point. If you're wondering, it's super light, easy to carry, fantastic feeling in the hand and the blade shape is just about perfect. IMO, this is the best working EDC knife that Buck *doesn't* make. They should make it though.

Ecolite drop point left by Pinnah, on Flickr

This one of my favorite working knives... K55K Mercator

Great slicer and really indistructable... a good beer bottle opener, too :)

IMG_2005.jpg

... a good beer bottle opener, too :)

'all work and no play makes humppa a dull boy'

lol

also, heres some of my working knives, though pretty much anything i own is in that category;

IMG_13281.jpg

l to r; imperial folder, opinel #7, victorinox something or other
and...

IMG_13271.jpg

top to bottom; aguila azul (i think its a hansa but am not sure), imacasa 'pata de cuche', imacasa sable pattern

Last edited:
An Old Hickory skinner, which had the furthest upswept tip removed, my Buck 110, and a new PocketWorn medium stockman by Case. This'll be my first stockman pattern of decent workmanship and I think I'm going to really enjoy it.

DSCN1030.jpg

I got a stockman just like that in SS for my birthday. Very first stainless pocketknife, but it was a gift so I dropped my stubborness and carried it, and I'm impressed with it's edge holding ability. It'll be in my rotation for many years to come.

Last edited:
Here are several that get used pretty regularly here; the last two are retired, and are family heirlooms.

U.S. Schrade 77OT that I got several years ago off fleabay. A previous owner had broken one blade tip off and bent the tip on the other blade. I converted both to a semi-Wharncliffe type.
USSchrade7OT002.jpg

Case 6.5375 large bonestag Stockman. I rounded & polished the bolsters and lowered the blades (filed the blade kicks) to make it more pocket-friendly.
Case65bonestaglargeCVStockman003.jpg

This one is seeing more use in the kitchen these days. It's an old generic kitchen knife, made and sold in bulk at hardware stores. (Shapleigh Hardware, maybe?) The scales are beech (I think) and the scale rivets are carbon steel. Really cool old retro kitchen tool that takes the best edge of any knife in the drawer.
MysteryChefsKnife001.jpg

Top knife: a A Schrade/Walden Rigger's knife, issued to my dad in the navy, early 1960's. He didn't need a Rigger's knife, so he requisitioned a Camillus TL-29, and gave this one to my granddad. When my grandfather died, my dad found it in his fish tackle box. It was granddad's favorite knife. The bottom knife is a post-WWII TL-29. It belonged to my other grandfather (mom's side). He carried until his death in 1966, then my grandmother used it in the garage for years to scrape lawnmower blades, open bags of fertilizer, etc. It took me several cleaning sessions to get the active corrosion on the blade cleaned up. The screwdriver, even with some dark spotting, still has most the original factory finish.
GrandpaKnives003.jpg

GrandpaKnives004.jpg

~Chris

Last edited:
c0cced25.jpg

I have been using this one in the yard a lot but it still cleans up nice and has a great lock up.

IMAG1206.jpg

This Case Mini Trapper gets so much of my out door use I hardly need another blade. The handles were replaced with G10. And the thin blade stock makes it an excellent slicer.

Well, I've got a couple or three that are my go to working knives.

The first is this S&M Heritage Series gifted to me by a member of this forum.
I reground the main blade to make it a bit better slicer. I'm loving the ebony wood.
IMAGE_1000001449.JPG

The other is my little red backpacker. Bad picture, but I was busy at the time.

IMAGE_1000001484.JPG

Here's a better shot.
IMAGE_1000001418.JPG

Here's an old "Old Timer" 80T. This one was carried for years when I was a kid then ended up in my tackle box for years then rediscovered and moved into the glove box of my work van. Recently I put it back into a EDC role and glad that I did.

This poor knife was carried when my knife played multiple roles---propping open a door when we delivered furniture (had a family furniture store for over 40 years) hence the gouge in the delrin handles.

Unfortunate (and stupid act on my part) trying to pry---yes I said pry a frozen shut truck door to open! Hey it was -20 degrees out and I wanted in the truck!!! Broke the tip of the main blade and that added nail nick (ugly I know) was ground in by me so I could open it after it's shortened length---remember I was only 16 or 17 yrs old at the time:eek:

It is solid as can be after 36 plus yrs of dedicated service:thumbup: She may be ugly to many but shes a beauty to me.

pa220117.jpg

pa220118.jpg

pa220114.jpg

pa220115.jpg

This one will never be gifted/given away as the memories are to fond to me!!!

Paul

not sure if i posted a pic here ;)

but my edc since i got it (and work knife)
MY PRECIOUS!

006-11.jpg

Back