1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

let's talk fillet knife....!

Discussion in 'M. Wohlwend Custom Knives' started by m. wohlwend, Jan 16, 2011.

1. m. wohlwend

m. wohlwend Banned BANNED

Apr 21, 2007
    Help me out! I want to build these cause I want one too! Flexibility? Size? Thicknesses? Handle material? We have alot to talk about! I used to clean 25-80 fish a day in the midwest on Grand Lake.

2. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Semi flexible woks best for me. Most folks will say a good stainless sy ats-34 or 154-cm (basicaly the same thing). cpm 154cm would be even better but I don't know if the added expense would equal enough added performance in a filet knife.

7-8 inch blade, 3/32 thick with a convex edge.

Handle material is tricky. G10 would be impervious, but can be slick when wet with fish guts. Micarta is less slick but is permeable from what folks say. Rubber horse mats may actualy be a real good option though not as attractive they would offe3r a great grip and excellent cleanability.

By running the temper on the 3/32 blades a little softer you can get excellent flex with an acceptable edge.

3. blase1682

blase1682

Apr 23, 2010
    Hey Mark! A 6" blade would work great for the kind of fish in my area... stainless would be fantastic! SIGN ME UP:D

4. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    I'd still go with good old plain high carbon steel. Thin enough stock so the blade will lay flat while holding the handle...plenty of flexability.

Shape wise I think something similar to these....

[​IMG]
    By pitdog2010 at 2011-01-17

5. m. wohlwend

Apr 21, 2007
    Cain had a good point about flexible steel separating from handles. I think a corby bolt is in order in the front of the handle....

I have some 3/16 ats stainless in stock.....

I am wondering if that is too thick. And I have used both stainless and high carbon fillet. The ss was rapalas walmart special. I guess they were too pricey for walmart buyers cause now all I see is cheap china crap. Anyway, a rapala would hold an a edge for several fish before going dull.

I think a cryoed ss would really hold an edge.... just thinking here guys

6. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    3/16 stock would be thick, but not too thick. especially if it was flat ground with a convex edge. Running the temper a little softer would aid flexibility as well.

A good carbon steel will work excellent as well as Pit points out. Just have to maintain it a little. (I've used mainly Carbon steel knives for well over 40 years in all conditions and have yet to have one rust on me.)

7. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Mark with 3/16 ths you may have real trouble getting anything but a stiff blade in lengths under 7-8" even with a softer temper.

8. m. wohlwend

Apr 21, 2007
    Mike, looked at ABEL-L. Its made for razor blades. 300 degree temper makes it 58 rc. Might do a run with some of this and some high carbon...

9. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Might want to make a test blade and see what it's flexibility is like at that hardness.

That is why most commercial fillet knives don't hold an edge very well they have to run em softer in order to get the desired flex.

That is why I prefer a semi flexible. Becuse it can be tempered higher giving a better edge.

10. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    I think 3/16" is a little on the thick side.Carbon or stainless works well for me,don't much care either way.I've used wooden handled Rapalas most of my 48 years and have been quite satisfied with them.Would'nt mind a little thicker blade stock for Sturgeon though.Hey pit,I really like those two offerings,pretty slick!

11. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Found this article on fillet knives , hope you can read it okay as it's hard scanning a magazine !

[​IMG]
    By pitdog2010 at 2011-01-18

[​IMG]
    By pitdog2010 at 2011-01-18

12. m. wohlwend

Apr 21, 2007
    Not 1095!!!!! Hahahaha....

Makes since because 1095 primary useage was for springs!

13. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    1095 is exceptionaly versatile stuff. We even use it in the machine industry for tooling cutters for limited runs.

at the right temper it can be anything from a cutting tool to a spring.

Personaly I've never fopund rust to be much of a problem, but I don't leave my knives sitting in salt water, And I clean em before putting them up.

14. BloodGroove4570

BloodGroove4570

Jul 25, 2010
    Im really liking the looks of that top filleter, looks good to me, and if flexible and in 1095 i bet it would be a "keeper"..... just my .02 cents.

15. m. wohlwend

Apr 21, 2007
    I am thinking a run of ten. Half carbon and half stainless. What about handles? Micarta?

16. BloodGroove4570

BloodGroove4570

Jul 25, 2010
    Maybe some Orange G10?????:eek:
    Or Not.:D
    Canvas works...:thumbup:

17. m. wohlwend

Apr 21, 2007
    Lol... I have a sheet of orange g-10...

18. BloodGroove4570

BloodGroove4570

Jul 25, 2010
    :thumbup::thumbup:g10 & CARBON:thumbup::thumbup:
    blade length????? 8" ish?

19. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner

Jan 21, 2010
    Where you at with these? Started production yet? I need one this sounds like teh perfect thing to process my deer meat. Been using a lil cheapo that I got from China mart. Something with a lil less flex would be great.

20. northern

northern

May 2, 2010
    i have been using these my entire life... thousands of fish. for me. as mora is to bushcraft. this rapala is to freshwater fishing (i don't have much experience in the deep sea.) 6 inch blade and stainless.
    i want on the list for this one... can we get a run through of what exactly you're looking to make for the first run?
    if i could make a dream knife i'd say orange or blue g-10 (i've never used g10 and want to haha) and thin stainless.... i'm not too hung up on flexibility a little helps but after that it's not useful...
    i would probably make it straight all the way along the spine, i know the rapala curves upward slightly but i don't think it's necessary. simpler the better. kydex sheath ofcourse. aaaaaaaaaaaaaand i think that's it?
    on a side note, i'm not sure if others agree, but i always hang my fillet knife up on a nail in the cleaning shed (i run a fishing and hunting camp with family) and i have been thinking of something like this (i know it's a cheapo model, but the principle stands)
    http://www.amazon.com/Value-Benchmark-Backpacker/dp/B003WKNFHU
    i have actually been thinking hard about applying it to my day to day knives... hang it from my pant belt loop or my back... seems versatile?
    also here is the rapala
    http://www.rapala.com/products/knives/fish_n_fillet/