Lets talk GEC!

It seems to be getting a lot tougher for me to buy traditionals outside of the GEC brand these days--especially since I have to rely on the internet vendors to fill my prescription. I find GEC's quality very good and very consistent which is a huge plus when you can't handle before purchase. Just ordered up a Tidioute #68 Pony Jack with a clip-point master blade and ebony covers. First in ebony for me... and it's about time too! :eek:

-Brett

Jeff, do you think the Eureka frame will accomodate Clip&Coping? It think they may have to put the nail nicks on each side to allow opening.

Thanks, Will

Will, I'm sure the #92 frame can accommodate a clip blade (wasn't a problem with the #15 or #85); it's just a matter of whether or not GEC has plans for such a version in the future. It's actually easier to access the nail-nicks on the clip because the spine sits higher in the frame than the spear (see #15 pics for reference).
-Greg

Will, they should be able to do a regular clip behind the low-riding coping with nicks on same side, or even better,
do a higher-riding Wharncliffe or sheepfoot behind the low-riding muskrat clip with nicks on the same side, like on a #53 stockman.

It seems to be getting a lot tougher for me to buy traditionals outside of the GEC brand these days--especially since I have to rely on the internet vendors to fill my prescription. I find GEC's quality very good and very consistent which is a huge plus when you can't handle before purchase. Just ordered up a Tidioute #68 Pony Jack with a clip-point master blade and ebony covers. First in ebony for me... and it's about time too! :eek:

-Brett

I concur with you about the Internet shopping, I don't get the opportunity to handle them either, I have to buy online and GEC seems to be the most consistent for me.

Paul

Great thread that should run nicely:)

I'd like to see an equal end pattern 3-3.5" but with the same depth frame as the #53/4 pattern if that makes sense? I'm getting into the 3-3.5" length knives but would appreciate something with a bit more meat than the #15's and the 66/68's.

The closest I've seen on the market is the Northwood's Indian River Jack which is Queen produced I think. Which brings another interesting thread into it, the relationship between Queen and GEC..... For me I can see them running alongside each other nicely, I'd hate to see Queen ditch D2....

Sam

I recently visited the factory and picked up a few knives. As I was making my purchases in their factory retail shop, Bill Howard himself (the owner of the company) came in and greeted me and asked me about my experiences using his knives. I personally thanked him for the Pony Jack I had in my pocket, and he checked the sharpness on my blade. He asked me how I would rate the sharpness of GEC knives out of the tube and had a genuine interest in how the knives performed for me. He then went above and beyond and personally checked each knife I was purchasing, going so far as to do a paper cut test on each knife for me. This, keep in mind, is the OWNER of the company! I am sure he has a gazillion things to do in order to run his business but he took at least twenty minutes out of his day to greet one customer and make sure he was happy.
This company has my business for life.

I recently visited the factory and picked up a few knives. As I was making my purchases in their factory retail shop, Bill Howard himself (the owner of the company) came in and greeted me and asked me about my experiences using his knives. I personally thanked him for the Pony Jack I had in my pocket, and he checked the sharpness on my blade. He asked me how I would rate the sharpness of GEC knives out of the tube and had a genuine interest in how the knives performed for me. He then went above and beyond and personally checked each knife I was purchasing, going so far as to do a paper cut test on each knife for me. This, keep in mind, is the OWNER of the company! I am sure he has a gazillion things to do in order to run his business but he took at least twenty minutes out of his day to greet one customer and make sure he was happy.
This company has my business for life.

That is true customer service, and by the way; whatcha get?

That is true customer service, and by the way; whatcha get?

IMG_7808-1.jpg

It was not conscious on my part, but all four knives have different main blade shapes, and all also have one blade with a straight edge. I like that.

Great thread that should run nicely:)

I'd like to see an equal end pattern 3-3.5" but with the same depth frame as the #53/4 pattern if that makes sense? I'm getting into the 3-3.5" length knives but would appreciate something with a bit more meat than the #15's and the 66/68's.

The closest I've seen on the market is the Northwood's Indian River Jack which is Queen produced I think. Which brings another interesting thread into it, the relationship between Queen and GEC..... For me I can see them running alongside each other nicely, I'd hate to see Queen ditch D2....

Sam

Have you tried the new Pony Jack yet? I feel like it is quite substantial in my large sized hand for a 3.5 inch equal end. I can't imagine wanting to go smaller girth wise (which is why I am glad that I waited for the Pony Jack instead of picking up the White Owl). I have yet to try out a GEC 53 and cannot make a fair comparison, but the Pony Jack feels like a whole lot of knife for the compact size that it really is. It has definitely become one of my favorites as of late, and I'm seriously considering picking up another with the clip blade.

IMG_7808-1.jpg

It was not conscious on my part, but all four knives have different main blade shapes, and all also have one blade with a straight edge. I like that.

What a great visit you had, and to get top notch service from the owner himself is a great thing to hear. That is also an excellent pick-up that you scored! Very nice variety in your selection. I'm going to have to make a trip to the GEC factory one of these days. :thumbup:

Man, I love those conductors. I think that's #2 on my list, after a TC Barlow.

-Dan

Well guys, i have spent the better part of 6 hrs over the last couple days researching what will be my first GEC knife. I loved the single blade threads, as that is what i have settled on. And now...the search begins.

Great thread. :thumbup:

Have you tried the new Pony Jack yet? I feel like it is quite substantial in my large sized hand for a 3.5 inch equal end. I can't imagine wanting to go smaller girth wise (which is why I am glad that I waited for the Pony Jack instead of picking up the White Owl). I have yet to try out a GEC 53 and cannot make a fair comparison, but the Pony Jack feels like a whole lot of knife for the compact size that it really is. It has definitely become one of my favorites as of late, and I'm seriously considering picking up another with the clip blade.

I have got a Pony Jack and stayed away from the White owl for that exact reason:) The clip is very nice:)

Had to spend longer sorting it out than other recent GEC purchases though! came with blade play and peening was tricky as both springs are quite soft. Also, quite a lumpy walk but it's smoothing out.

P.S I've blended the pivot better since this pic was taken!

Still think a shortened #53 frame would make a fine knife....

Sam

-Brett

I agree, GEC's are simply OUTSTANDING in fit and finish. The best quality I've ever seen in a factory knife. I only have two - a Northfield #55 and a TC Barlow, but they're absolutely beautiful. I would order a GEC with confidence every time.

I really like the Pony Jacks. The Clip blade version just seems "right" for this pattern. The White Owl looks right with a spear, but the Clip looks right on this Jack.

Getting my first Case 6375 has been a revelation for me. Really great pattern, I would love to see GEC take the Coon Skinner pattern #81 and turn into a stockman. Give it some antique red bone with corn cobb jigging...... and/or a dark tobacco burst (see Duane Allman's "Dark Burst" Les Paul below) jigged bone. Sweet!

Dark Burst!
Duane%20Allman.jpg

I hope I'm right and not tempting the knifegods, but quality seems to be improving all the time. It's always been good, however the ones from this year have been truly remarkable in fit&finish.

Thanks, Will

I hope I'm right and not tempting the knifegods, but quality seems to be improving all the time. It's always been good, however the ones from this year have been truly remarkable in fit&finish.

Thanks, Will

I think some of the smaller details are getting better too. Jigging, colors.... etc.

Well guys, i have spent the better part of 6 hrs over the last couple days researching what will be my first GEC knife. I loved the single blade threads, as that is what i have settled on. And now...the search begins.

Great thread. :thumbup:

15 boys knife/charlow, or the 73. Great choice man, enjoy!

Back