1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by rplarson2004, Feb 28, 2012.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Black cherry used to be the wood of choice for the very highest quality scythe snaths.

2. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    One note about splitting cherry. The bark runs radially around the trunk and helps it to resist splitting. But if you score a round vertically along the line you want to split it will split pretty good. So while the bark makes it harder to split you can use it to focus the split right where you want it.

3. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Giving way. Good sound.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    Good score,Agent_H,and many good points from all parties.

Very little historic evidence of haft-wood species used,but good old Prunus has surfaced fairly recently....and i can easily imagine this P. virginiana to be identical in physics et c. to it's European cousin...Maybe a good solution to the smaller-sized eye....

http://www.museum.ie/Archaeology/Ex...1014/10-Unmissable-Objects-from-Clontarf-1014 (scroll down all the way to the bottom,to #10).

5. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even being a suburban dweller I still find a way to use my axes.

6. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    some recent work. We had a heavy snowstorm / wind event in March that brought down some v large pines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a bunch of medium sized ones too. some of this was just practice on some dead and downed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woodcraft likes this.
  7. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    takes some good axemanship to go through a tree like that and still not glance a blow, from the looks of your label that is. i couldnt trust myself enough to use a small paper label like that, i think i'd miss my target and hitt that label right on the tree as it went by

8. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    You're having too much fun, Chris. Great photos!

cooperhill likes this.
  9. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Using this nice old 3 lb Maine pattern made by E&S for the Talbot Brooks and Ayer hardware firm. This old gal was my first axe, been kicking since 1909![​IMG]

Woodcraft and Agent_H like this.
  10. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    In my opinion, Maine axes are just classy.

I don't find them around here but I certainly enjoy seeing them used and posted by members on the forums.

DarthTaco, was it you that put a Montreal pattern on a 28-30" straight handle? If so, would you still happen to have a picture of it?

DarthTaco123 likes this.
  11. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Thanks for the kind words Agent!

Afraid that Montreal is long gone Agent! It was on a 28" straight handle, and boy did it work like a dream.

12. Canadian Mojo

Canadian Mojo

Jan 5, 2016
    I guess this is the other end of the spectrum.
    [​IMG]
    The three hatchets pictured are my primary go-to tools for roughing out stuff like this. I do have others that I sometimes crack out but these are my current favorites. I can't honestly say I use the full sized axes I've got for much beyond splitting wood for the fire pit.

Woodcraft and Square_peg like this.
  13. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    looks great

14. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013

Nice looking utensils Canadian Mojo. :thumbsup:

15. Michael OD

Michael OD

Apr 26, 2017
    Great looking spoons

16. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I did some more work today with those big cedar rails I post earlier in the bark spud thread.

Today was about getting them in the ground 3 feet deep. It gave my an opportunity to use my deep hole shovels, too.
    [​IMG]

I did a little quick slash hewing to knock the corners off the rails and make them fit the holes easier. The axe on the back of the rail is a 3-1/2 pound Marshall-Wells Northern King on a 34" haft.
    [​IMG]

Pickaroon pulls the rails to the hole.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting note, on the first hole I started with the post hole digger and switched to the deep hole shovels once I got below about 18". On the second hole I never touched the post hole digger. The soil is cobble and sand and the PHD just isn't as effective as the DHS.

Two up, two to go. I'm having fun!
    [​IMG]

17. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    rehung this Forest King CT and did some chopping on dead and downed pine in a local Maine forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woodcraft likes this.
  18. Woodcraft

Woodcraft Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016
    What part of Maine are you in?

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  19. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm in seacoast NH but visit the coast of Maine quite often.

20. Woodcraft

Woodcraft Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Cool. Lots of blowdowns from this winter to play with this year;)