1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by rplarson2004, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SaturatedShadow

SaturatedShadow

Apr 28, 2010
    Hand hewed a mantel with an old Collins head I re-hung on a straight 28 inch handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used my Wetterlings on the other side, and touched up a few places with a stubby handled boy scout hatchet.

[​IMG]

Finished with stain and polyurethane.

[​IMG]

2. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    That is going to be an awesome hearth header for someone.:thumbsup:

My folks have a similar above their fireplace but it was done in trade... for what I didn't ask.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Java_Dude likes this.
  3. Woodcraft

Woodcraft Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016
    The four pound plumb. With phantom bevels. I hung it on a thick 36" handle, roughed up with a rasp for grip.
    I got this head on the cheap and discovered part of the plumb stamp when I was cleaning it up. I hung it to be a beater ax. It quickly became my favorite splitting ax. I would honestly trade three heads for a decent one like this. It is awesome. The ears are recessed. The handle is flush with the top of the eye, slightly recessed even, with a gap, with only a hardwood wedge in it. The head is solid, no movement whatsoever, and I truly abuse this one. A little end of the day fun, after a long day of splitting;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  4. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    That's kind of a mean looking piece of wood meets "Get it done" Jersey you put together.

Good stuff.

ColeKiraKnives and Woodcraft like this.
  5. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I love seeing a knot split through. Good job!

Woodcraft likes this.
  6. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    The wedge on this Forest king double kept popping out. After several wedge adjustments, I gave up and decided to rehang. Used a big ash wedge that I had handy. Tested it this weekend on some downed white pine and it's held up great. Lost some usable handle length but its solid. This is a modified new OP link handle btw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    axe chips
    [​IMG]

2 forest kings.
    [​IMG]

7. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    axe training with the forest service yesterday for mostly USFS trails and backcountry crews. I'm a volunteer instructor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SpySmasher, rockman0, halfaxe and 4 others like this.
  8. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    Hauled out the trusty 5 lber to bust some decent sized, and very knotty pine rounds. Sure did do the job!
    [​IMG]

halfaxe, rockman0, garry3 and 2 others like this.
  9. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Knife Reviewer, Collaborator, Sharpener Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    Nice to see some swinging.

Looked like a tough split.
    Good job

10. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Looks like a old timer there. Does it have a stamp?
    I like those big old heads.:thumbsup:

11. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    It's marked RD on the face and there's another stamp up by the poll that got mushroomed to oblivion. I've had no luck finding a maker.

12. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    some wilderness chopping this past Saturday. Cleared out this newishly fallen Eastern hemlock. (My) left side cut was awkward positioning and clearance.

[​IMG]

used this Craftsman CT with a Maine-made ash handle.

[​IMG]

13. meltimtiman

meltimtiman

Sep 15, 2016
    Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

halfaxe likes this.
  14. flexo

flexo

Mar 14, 2013
    i used a hatchet to cut dry bread for the dog's soup does that count?

Square_peg likes this.
  15. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    sure