1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Light My Fire (Mora) Swedish FireKnife Review link

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by coloradowildman, Mar 29, 2012.

1. coloradowildman

coloradowildman Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2009
  2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Lovely review, sir! I'm quite excited about these.

3. coloradowildman

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks FortyTwo. I'm going to start carrying one of these in the summer when I need to trim weight while backpacking. Really cool knife.

Cheers, CW

4. vic2367

vic2367

Sep 15, 2006
    great review , good idea on the light my fire on the handle , thinking of getting the orange one ,,

5. coloradowildman

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks Vic. Light My Fire sent me an extra Black Fireknife and Tinder on a Rope, so I'm going to doing a giveaway on my blog soon. It's not orange but free if you win.

6. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    These look sweet. I'll probably get one.

7. gomipile

gomipile

Apr 17, 2010
    Seriously, I would have liked you to have just pasted the review in the first place, then linked the original, so I could see both sets of comments. What has the edge retention been like?

8. coloradowildman

Oct 28, 2009
    Hi,

I can't just paste it over. It takes several hours of formatting something of this size, plus I have to upload all the pics to a third party site and then relink each one. In other words, it's a massive pain in the arse :) I am working on a large project right now so my time has been at a premium, but I will try and post it here when I get done in a few weeks.

As for edge retention, it's just like my other Moras with 12C27-- excellent for a low cost stainless and similar to 1095 carbon steel.

Cheers,

CW

9. hung-solo

hung-solo Banned BANNED

Jun 11, 2009
    i may have missed this but when does this come out?

10. scruffuk

scruffuk Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Stirling review there sir.

I'm very much a fan of these knives, the Mora 2000 especially.
    Its nice to see the evolution if its double grinds on this new model.

Am looking forward to getting my hands on some for the grab bag.

Thanks for sharing.

11. Chocula

Chocula

Sep 8, 2005
    very cool, thanks for the review!

12. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Got a few on the way for the shop in black and red. Should be landing on Monday so I'll post my thoughts when they arrive. :)

13. HikingMano

HikingMano

Sep 2, 2008
    Sweet! I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of these :thumbup: Looks like a nice backup.

Can someone explain to me the modified scandi grind? What's going on near the tip?

And how much are these anticipated to go for?

Ben, if you pick up orange, I'll probably be getting a couple from you :)

14. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    My distributor only has the black and red right now--totally would have gotten the other colors if they had them. Said distributor is one of the biggest in the knife world, so it makes me wonder if they haven't released runs of the others yet? The modified scandi looks to reduce the shoulder of the edge at the tip for food prep and other slicing tasks. Good thing, too. Ever try slicing a carrot with a standard Mora? It just breaks 'em. Though soft targets like meat, cheese, and what have you are easily cut. :)

Can't wait to see 'em tomorrow.

15. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Ok--got them in and I can honestly say that I am more than impressed! The ergos are great, like most Moras, and those with concern about the pommel/firesteel coming out of the handle can rest assured that it's pretty much impossible. It clicks into place even BEFORE being twisted! The thinned grind at the tip looks like it'll do very nicely for food prep and other fine slicing tasks. The spine is nice and squared and I can tell it'll throw sparks like no tomorrow.

It's a very nice little package, and I'm very excited to have them in the shop! They should go up on the site in the next couple of days.

16. HikingMano

HikingMano

Sep 2, 2008
    Sounds good. My Moras fill a niche for me, and these will be a nice addition. I'll be looking around for orange guys.

I've never had any Mora with these combo grinds, so I'm looking forward to seeing if they're as versatile in use as they appear to be.