Looking for a Mid Size backpacking knife ??? Opinions Welcome

I just picked up a TBOK model from Daniel Fairly for my ultralight backpacking knife check him out in his sub forum on here.
8000585195_157f7a8a4d_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I keep a BK-16 on my pack. It's just about the right size for anything I need.

@flatblackcapo That blade does look cool but I wish it had some scales on there. But definitely awesome.
@tew3006 Yes I do have the BK16 locked on my radar.
@AlbertaEd Awesome. Hmm I bet it feels good in hand.

The Moose is wise....
For the price, these tweeners are tough to beat.
I may be a bit partial though. lol :D
Nothing wrong with Esee. Had an Esee4 and loved it.
Traded it when I got my BK-16. I love the Becker ergos.
I believe an Esee 3 will be on my shopping list before long though.

DSC02843.jpg

I'll drop in a boring and eminently practical suggestion: Mora Companion MG.

I have one of the stainless ones and for my last 3-day trip it did everything I needed and could have done a whole lot more. I cut up cheese and sausage for snacks, stirred my pot of pasta at dinnertime, sliced open packages of food, struck my firesteel to get my Trangia stove burning, and even cut down a dead/hanging tree limb to use as fuel for a campfire -- ditto on the firesteel there, too.

Cheap, simple, light, easy to clean and sharpen, I really couldn't ask for more in a true "backpacking" knife. I really like the puukko shape -- a mostly long, straight, narrow blade with a bit of belly at the tip, and still plenty pointy. Narrow enough blade stock for food use, but thick enough to be sturdy and lend confidence. It's not a very exciting knife, but it's definitely a piece of kit that is actually worth its miniscule weight while packing up and down mountains!

***Ooh -- another important bit -- comfortable hand-filling grip with a tacky/rubbery feel, and a quality sheath, too! I have a Fallkniven S1 that I didn't bother to bring because, being honest with myself, which would I rather carry? Mora 100% of the time.

Last edited:
I've been looking for a knife like this myself actually. Here are some of the ones that I've looked at.

Condor Bushlore: 4 3/8in long blade, 1/8in thick 1075. It comes in a micarta or normal wooden handled version.

Kabar MK1: 5in 1095 blade, kraton or leather handles.

Becker BK16: You already know this one, its a great choice.

Here are those three (well, a BK17, but its close enough right :p)
1003945q.jpg

Svord Economy Drop Point Hunter: 4 3/8in long 3/32 thick L6 steel with a differential HT.

svord_dp.jpg

The Moras are a great choice as well. Any and all of them would be a good choice.

I have also looked into the AG Russell Deer Hunter. It is a 4in blade thats .08in thick, but comes in AUS8, VG10, and D2. The whole knife and sheath weigh like 3 oz, which is pretty ideal for hiking.

AGDH-.jpg

Good luck man :).

I just came across the TOPS Wilderness Guide 4.0 and I gotta say it looks awesome. I kind of love everything about it. The blade width, handle and shape.
Let me know what you guys think about it.

I was about to link you to the review that mistwalker did on his. Then I saw you had already found it :p.

Sadly, I have no experience with that knife, so I can't actually help you out about it.

Good luck though :).

Yes that is an awesome review and some very cool pictures. His thread is how I found out about the TOPS Wilderness Guide 4.0.

flatblackcapo That blade does look cool but I wish it had some scales on there. But definitely awesome.
Daniel makes them with scales if you want.I was going for ultralight.

If you backpack the way that I do all that you need is something like a Delica, Dragonfly or maybe even Ladybug. I only need to open food packages, cut string and maybe dig out a thorn. Most of where I go you aren't even allowed to do extensive bushcraft and I don't want to carry the weight of a big knife.

Yes you do hold some good points. Knives are just so cool. Why not get another fixed blade. But true a folder will do the most common tasks.
Thanks
Jose

If you backpack the way that I do all that you need is something like a Delica, Dragonfly or maybe even Ladybug. I only need to open food packages, cut string and maybe dig out a thorn. Most of where I go you aren't even allowed to do extensive bushcraft and I don't want to carry the weight of a big knife.

Back