Maine Axes -post 'em up

Hardball- I've seen that one more times than I can count, definitely appreciate the thought though, that's probably my favorite video on YouTube. So cool seeing how they were made, especially because they were one of the last big companies still hand forging, the video was from the 60's but would have been a very similar scene in the E&S factory at the beginning of the 1900's, except likely more people working.

DarthTaco- I'd definitely recommend it, spiller and E&S are my favorites so while everyone has their price a few of those would be pretty high to let go, I just like them too much. Not only the quality but something about the hand forged look I love, I mean don't get me wrong I have a few axes from the bigger makers that aren't hand forged that I still like quite a bit but Maines are definitely my favorite. Probably has something to do with growing up in the region and being into the history of them as well.

TukiIywh.jpg

Finished the handle for the one the other day, 3 1/2lb 1941 E&S wedge pattern double bit on an ash Adirondack handle.

eg9LHaLh.jpg

3 1/2lb E&S Connecticut pattern hung on a vintage handle. Finally found myself an E&S in this pattern in this pattern, has some minor pitting but a very full bit so will be a nice user.

EfmyEJch.jpg

Marsh & Sons sleeper pattern, found this a day or two ago at an antique store that I've driven past at least a hundred times on my way to my cabin and had never stopped in. They had a huge tool room but surprisingly only two axes, one was an unmarked double and the other was this one. Paid a little more than I'd like to but sleepers are really cool and pretty uncommon so I was okay with it, would have been really nice if it had a fuller bit but it's the only Marsh & Soms sleeper I've seen so can't complain too much.

kNNYha2h.jpg

Peavey Mfg Co sleeper pattern, looks more like a regular broad axe in this picture but that's because it came with an offset handle. Some may recognize this from eBay, I know the seller and have bought a few axes from them so they gave me a decent price. They have some nice stuff, most of it is pricey and I'm not a fan of the reproductions they do of unmarked axes with Maine axe labels but they're quality no doubt about that, I just only like labels on NOS, otherwise I'd prefer it as is. But either way they're great people and I've had a few decent deals from them, the first pic in this post, the E&S double I got the head from them awhile back.

EtiBPKfh.jpg

And lastly, this axe is supposedly an early Hudson Bay type pattern from Peavey, I can't make out anything left from the markings they're pretty much worn away but I can see where the makers mark and weight stamp were at least, just can't make out more than part is a couple letters/number. It came with a Peavey sheath of the correct size and was marked Oakland, which if I remember correctly was earlier than their Brewer location. There was a true Hudson Bay pattern from Peavey posted on this forum before and it had the same sheath as mine except it was marked Brewer rather than Oakland. The guy I bought it from is very trustworthy and knowledgable on Maine axes, I've known him for awhile and bought quite a few off him and talked about axes a lot with him. He definitely knows his stuff and wouldn't knowingly pass off something falsely, it could very well have just had the sheath on it when he bought it and be made from someone else but I wouldn't be surprised if it really was a Peavey. I've done a lot of research and even reached out to Peavey as they still make axes but apparently the guy who's email is on the site doesn't know much and said most records were lost in a fire, but I know UMaine has records on some Maine axe makers so may see if they have stuff on peavey. Even if it's not a real peavey it's a neat little axe, would be great for a pack axe but if anyone has any info or recognizes the pattern feel free to let me know. And the shape may look similar to a Norlund splitter as someone pointed out before but it's only 1.5-2lbs.

Man I need to rebuild my Maine Axe stocks. They sure do have a certain charm, I regret selling most of them off.

Diamond, had yet to even hang a diamond eye before this nevermind make the handle for one so it was a little more challenging than usual but it came out well
That's old school there. Got to love that curved handle on a DBL bit. :thumbup:

I lijke those diamond eyes. They look cool.

I've heard that a real adirondack double bit will have a single bit eye. I don't have one.

I lijke those diamond eyes. They look cool.

I've heard that a real adirondack double bit will have a single bit eye. I don't have one.

Yeah they're definitely cool, a little more challenging to fit the handle than a traditional round eye but nothing too bad. I've never seen a double bit with a single bit eye, doesn't mean they don't exist though. But I feel like the teardrop kinda shape to a single bit eye works well with having a poll to hammer with, hence the thicker side of the handle/eye and the symmetrical shaped eye of a double bit works well with two bits. Plus the whole difference between a single bit handle and an Adirondack is that an Adirondack has two pronounced shoulders while a single bit really only has one on the poll side. So I definitely wouldn't rule it out but if it were in fact a real thing I can see why it didn't catch on, plus with a symmetrical double bit eye you can choose to use either a straight or an Adirondack handle, a double bit with a single bit eye you couldn't use a double bit style haft, only a straight single which aren't as common and still not the same as a straight double.

Did you have to whittle your own handle?

I use handle blanks, it's a block of wood usually 1.25" thick but come pre shaped to the style of handle you want. I get mine from Thrane Axe and Saw Co, fairly reasonably priced and typically much better quality than any other handles out there. They're great if you're just learning how to make a handle because it already has the general curve/shape to it but you still have to do the shaping/whittling down to size. I've made quite a few now so I've gotten fairly good at it but I still prefer to use the blanks than say harvest a piece of wood because I don't have to worry about drying/seasoning the wood and the space it requires plus the possible shrinkage if I don't dry it out enough. Would highly recommend them if you want to try and make a handle, they're a little more expensive than a top quality handle from like house handle or beaver tooth but the quality is a step above those and you can choose from a bunch of different types of wood, handle orientation and length/thickness, so you can really customize it to your liking.

GijFCsrh.jpg

Just finished the handle for the 3 1/2lb Spiller jersey from my previous post. The head was forged in 1948 and I hung it on a 28" ash handle with a black walnut wedge.

How can you ID the forge year? I just came across a 4 1/2lb Spiller Jersey myself and would love to know. Thanks!

I'm ready to believe this says 44 under the pole of my Spiller Jersey. Would that be year of manufacture?

went through my Maine axes last night. A good opportunity to sharpen, clean, and oil. A good number of these are in current use for trailwork.

the almost full collection. A few snow & nealleys double bits missing.
DCXPxOSVYAAMl7z.jpg

NE old yank 3 1/4. I think this is a baltimore jersey.
DCXPxOQUAAEd4Mh.jpg

E&S Jersey. used a new old stock handle.

DCXPxOPU0AEjSkB.jpg

(left to right) Spiller Baltimore jersey; LLbean hudson bay; TBA 2 3/4 full sized eye (double stamped E&S mfg); Katco 3 pounder (handle is older than axe). Sneaking out on the right side J.M. tatem Handle co (Marked JMTco) double, E&S sleeper, PV mfg co sleeper.

DCXPxOPUwAUa_U9.jpg

TBA double.

DCXP7ebVwAIojAB.jpg

E&S Forest king CT
DCXP7ehVoAESpnP.jpg

Top: PV hatchet. Left E&S CT. hand carved handle by the cooper at Strawbery Banke, Portsmouth, NH. Middle two already shown above. Right. Old Yank ct. on a NOS ruggs co handle. Peaking out on the left. Snow & Nealley double bit.
DCXP7e_VoAAEjEM.jpg

Back