Makers: Post pics of your knives.

I'm just getting started with kitchen knives so here are 2 paring knives I recently did

forged in laminated Hitachi White Steel no 2 with Ironwood handles

D32C20B3-FEED-46BE-A783-B2F0A70231F2_zpsmh01jz8n.jpg

E5C0317C-218B-4976-98BE-E9E4114CCE33_zpsw3aijxys.jpg

Ian how do you line up the billet/blade to press the chevrons? Do you forge it to the general profile first or press an straight bar?

For that one, I forged a rough profile with some wiggle room, pressed the pattern, and trimmed as needed.

Thanks. That is what I have done for ladder pattern. With ladder, you can just use the spine as guide because the lines only have to be straight up and down. :cool: I bought chevron dis form Uncle Al at the same time that I got my ladder dies like 7 years ago, but I have never used the chevron ones.
For that one, I forged a rough profile with some wiggle room, pressed the pattern, and trimmed as needed.

HsC those look like great little knives. I like the pin pattern you used too.

I've got 10 or 12 blades at home I ground out out AEB-L waiting to be handled. One of the biggest issues for me is dancing between what handle woods to use. I have literally sorted through my buckets and buckets of wood at least 5 times trying to find the perfect block!

I hear ya ben , i can never decide either!

Your work is amazing Ian. You have inspired quite a few of my projects this last year.

Here is one I just finished up, and a few pics of my next projects profiled (AEBL and 52100).

2-Gyuto-1a.jpg

2-Gyuto-2.jpg

FebYanagiba-Design1.jpg

Hi Brock:
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question about your blade design. I'm starting to make kitchen knives instead of bushcraft, so I'm looking around for advice.

Those blades you have profiled in the bottom pic are long, skinny, and are beveled. What's the reason behind that design? I don't see many kitchen knives with bevels.

Thanks,

Sprayman

Hello:)
Here are a few of mine.
9de46340e335c5d7edeff30bcf45d611.jpg
b2da71fa9dbed142c486f824e591768d.jpg
02d87a9701c63eb6be1166fc51ea87cd.jpg
9b5cda0a4875ab553d6dd0ab9f04de92.jpg
8061ed5d8121f7518c464ecbbc0b3011.jpg
1bf4c45bede5ddd1a6b72c8f00059c1e.jpg

Hi fallen-ronin:
Beautiful blades! I have a question about the first knife, pictured in the upper left. What's the advantage of that particular design? Is it made for certain cuts or foods? I'm planning my second chef's knife, so I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Sprayman

I made this knives from a suminagashi bar stock with a core of "white paper" steel by Takefu.
The first one is a yanagiba 27cm blade length & 3 mm. thickness.
The handle material is ebony,bocote & briar wood.

The second one is a Gyuto knife 22cm.blade length & 2.8mm thickness.
Handle material is bocote ,briar wood & buffalo horn.

The third is a kiritsuke style knife at 24cm blade length & 2.8mm thickness.
Handle material is olive,eucalyptus wood & buffalo horn.

and the last one is a Gyuto at 22cm blade length & 2.9mm thickness.
Handle material is wenge,Iroko & briar wood.

Thanks a lot...

Wow, some great stuff on this thread! Great job everyone!
Here's the last chef I finished. 13" OAL, 0.078" Alabama Damascus that has a compound grind (the bottom 1/3 is convex) Spalted Maple Burl handle

Hi Brock:
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question about your blade design. I'm starting to make kitchen knives instead of bushcraft, so I'm looking around for advice.
Those blades you have profiled in the bottom pic are long, skinny, and are beveled. What's the reason behind that design? I don't see many kitchen knives with bevels.
Thanks,
Sprayman

Just saw your question S. Those are Yanagiba blades and have a very specific grind on each side of the blade.
With these and with other kitchen knives, to do more than create a 'kitchen' looking knife you will find you need to study, and likely for years.
I have been studying Japanese style kitchen knives for about a year and feel I am just starting to grasp some of the basics.
It is a quite complex combination of design characteristics that distinguish a fair to nice knife from a great one.
Good luck to you.

another stunner brock! on a side note: ill have one to show in a couple weeks. Just gotta get these rehandle jobs off my bench!

Hi Brock:

Thanks for the reply. You speak the truth about kitchen knives. They're much more complex than one would think. The first three kitchen knives I made are fair, but I use them in the kitchen every day. I know it will take me years to make knives comparable to those I see on this forum, but boy is it fun!

Besides, I've got bushcraft and hunting knives just sitting around, collecting dust--no need to make any more of them.

Thanks Tim. What are you rehandling?

ive got a couple 210mm gyutos one is a konosuke HD and the other is by Shimatani, it is an impressive knife carbon core with raindrop damascus cladding. The profile is sort of santoku-ish but is definately a gyuto. Also a 240mm gyuto that I am not sure who makes, it has a fine level of fit and finish and is also stainless clad carbon core. A Deba with a massive 1/4" thick handle and blade, and a cute little hankotsu! I like the rehandle work, it allows me to see and feel a wide variety of knives.

Got them all boxed up and ready to send out. Now its on to a killer custom, a 160mm utility loosely based off an old sab. This ones in aebl and redwood/ivory and bog oak, frame handle construction, hidden tang deal :)

Back