Making pouch/case for a Gerber Suspension multi-tool. Would like some advice please!

I have this fairly nice Gerber Suspension multitool that I would like to make a leather pouch/case for. But I'm a little off on how to go about it since it has a curved shape. The Leatherman's (and others) are usually straight handled...easy enough there. Any advice you guys can lend would be great!

This is a pic of it.

41671195_9476717.JPG

the curve doesn't look that drastic, so i would wet mold the case from the bottom to 1/2 way between the middle of the curve and the top. the back would be flat, you can make the back long enough to make a strap coming across the top. but if you mold the case right(or even close to right), the case will hold the tool in all on its own without a strap over the top. personally, i like stuff curved like that more. you can make a molded case/sheath, and you don't need to make extra straps or loops to keep the tool/knife secure.

check out the sticky thread on the Horizontal knife sheath. same concept.

hope that helps. :D

Thanks!

Since it tapers like / \ (essentially) you would make the pouch for inserting the smaller end first, correct?

Thanks!

Since it tapers like / \ (essentially) you would make the pouch for inserting the smaller end first, correct?

you can do it from either side. if you insert the large end in first, you'll have a lot of the tool sticking out.

i would do it from the small end, that way you have more of the tool covered. but you'll have to mold it very tight to the tool. after molding, put it in to the oven at 170 degrees for about 110 to 15 min.

I have the same multi tool with the bits and love it however the stock pouch for it must have been designed by a retarded blind monkey. I picked up a leatherman pro sheath for it, multitool blasphemy but it fits the gerber and the bits and the gerber infinity light perfectly. For 8 bucks I figured I could get back to work and quit doodling designs.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

You can make straight sides or bit of a "v" shape and carry the tool wider side up. Most of the pouches I make for folders are straight and the knives itself rarely are :) Just find someting with simillar shape to form the leather around and you are good to go.

Another option would be to make "V" shaped friction pouch. If you form it tightly around the tool it will hold and you could make an open pouch.

Mat

Back