Manix 2 in Maxamet !

DavidZ

Gold Member
I just pre-ordered mine. This is going to be an exciting blade. Anyone else pre-order theirs?

Description

Coming Soon, this knife is expected in September 2016.

The Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight with Carpenter® Technology Corporation’s Micro-Melt® Maxamet blade steel takes a classic Spydie design to the next level! The tried and true Manix 2 maintains all of it's greatness, like it's extremely ergonomic handle, ball bearing lock and full flat ground blade while also boasting a Maxamet ultra hard high-speed tool steel and a Stone gray handle. Brand new directly from Spyderco Knives.

The Blade: Maxamet tool steel blade, not a stainless, has been fully flat ground for exceptional slicing abilities. Iconic Spyderco round hole opener offers quick and easy deployment for rightys and leftys alike. Jimping at finger choil and thumb ramp for additional control.

The Handle: Spyderco's FRCP (Fiberglass-Reinforced Co-Polymer) is tough and features their famous Bi-Directional texturing. Stone gray colored with a caged ball bearing lock housed within. This super strong lock offers solid blade lock-up with simple and ambidextrous disengagement. A reversible wire clip is mounted for tip up carry.

About Maxamet Steel: Maxamet was specifically engineered by Carpenter for use in rollers of their state-of-the-art steel rolling mills. This extremely hard material is used to shape and machine other steels. Spyderco was able to successfully heat treat and grind this super steel into high-performance knife blades which have an extraordinary balance of wear resistance and toughness at high hardness levels. This results in a blade which will hold a superior edge but due to its carbon nature it does require more time and effort to sharpen and must be cleaned and maintained properly to prevent corrosion.

Specifications

Overall Length 8.03"
Blade Length 3.37"
Sharpened Length 2.88"
Blade Thickness 0.125"
Blade Material MAXAMET Tool Steel
Steel Type Alloy
Lock Ball Bearing Lock
Closed Length 4.66"
Handle Thickness 0.44"
Handle Material FRCP
Clip Reversible, Wire
Weight 2.90 oz.
Country of Manufacture United States

Wow - I am excited! :thumbup::)
Spyderco definitely keeps me knifertained

Has the blade hardness been discussed anywhere? What it will be run at and possibly it's max hardness?

Somewhere I saw ZTs numbers for their 0888MAX. The blade made is Maxamet at a hardness in was the 67 to 69 range if I remember correctly.

Ill probably end up with a Manix. More because I like gray than the steel. Although the steel is a nice bonus. I have a Wicked Edge so I know I can sharpen it.

Has the blade hardness been discussed anywhere? What it will be run at and possibly it's max hardness?

Not sure about the Manix 2 but the Maxamet Mule is 67-68 HRC per a comment from Sal Glesser on a different forum.

Did you preorder from spyderco? I checked and the only thing that came up was the mule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'll probably pick one up. The manix2 is one of my favorite knives but I don't carry one since they are fat pocket pigs. Recently changed jobs and now I can wear my carhartt's with a side pocket knife size is not that important anymore. I am looking to replace my hap40 endure that has been a disappointment and I like beating on these less common steels.

Does this mean we might see a G10 version too? The S110v started with a LW version...

I'll probably pick one up. The manix2 is one of my favorite knives but I don't carry one since they are fat pocket pigs. Recently changed jobs and now I can wear my carhartt's with a side pocket knife size is not that important anymore. I am looking to replace my hap40 endure that has been a disappointment and I like beating on these less common steels.

Do you mind telling why hap40 disappoints you?

Do you mind telling why hap40 disappoints you?

Extremely tight pivot that has not loosened after months of use. It's impossible to "flick" open or close like I do with my other Enduras and delicas.

Frustratingly my options are take it apart and void the warranty, pay to ship it in, or just deal with it. BUT I will say that I really like steel itself and like the knife, just not completely happy.

Johnny boy, I was just wondering if it was the steel itself, or something about the rest of the knife.
Thanks for responding.

Extremely tight pivot that has not loosened after months of use. It's impossible to "flick" open or close like I do with my other Enduras and delicas.

Frustratingly my options are take it apart and void the warranty, pay to ship it in, or just deal with it. BUT I will say that I really like steel itself and like the knife, just not completely happy.

Hi Johnny, just loosen the pivot a hair with a torx wrench. All of those pivots are hand assembled so some come tighter than others and occasionally you need to back the pivot screw off a bit. You don't need to disassemble anything and it won't affect your warranty at all.

Back