1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Manix 2 Skeletonized Liners

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by mioduz, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mioduz

mioduz

May 28, 2012
    Bored + Vodka + Redbull = lightweight manix 2
    Dropped a little under and ounce off the weight of a manix 2 with this
    [​IMG]

2. medicguy

medicguy

Feb 11, 2011
    Nice job

3. jhyde7585

jhyde7585 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2011
    I got scared as I read vodka, but these look really well done :D

4. g17steve

g17steve

Sep 7, 2011
    Should have been done from the factory on all Manix 2s not just the sprints.

5. mioduz

mioduz

May 28, 2012
    If anyone is interested I could do the same to your liners for you.

6. Dodge

Dodge

Sep 6, 2008
    How did you do this? Mill?

7. mioduz

mioduz

May 28, 2012
    Yes cnc mill

8. hondahirny

hondahirny

Apr 2, 2012
    Vodka + red bull + power tools = severed appendage :)

Great work. I'd be jealous if you knocked that out on a Dremel. Nice to have access to such toys.

9. brady.kevin07

brady.kevin07

Dec 7, 2011
    not true.

10. socalkid

socalkid

Apr 8, 2011
    Brady,

Why do you disagree? Please elaborate. If your using your knife for normal cutting tasks what ever loss in strength shouldn't be a problem. Even if you did use your Manix 2 for something you shouldn't the blade will probably fail before the handle or lock for that matter.

Chris

11. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    Just my 2 cents, but not everyone is bothered with perceived strength that a 'heavier' knife offers (a perception you will notice: a heavy knife is a strong one). Some, including myself, find the Manix 2 to be light enough and won't like it to change and it has nothing to do with strength.

12. mioduz

mioduz

May 28, 2012
    yes its fun having a machine shop in my basement, do all sorts of fun stuff.

Think im going to skeletonize the liners of my benchmade rift next

13. mioduz

mioduz

May 28, 2012
    I dont understand your thought process here. If you agree that there is no or very little strength lost, why would you not want it lighter. In my mind ounces = lbs lbs= pain. I understand that this is less than 1 ounce and that may not make a big difference in the large scale, but consider this.
    we eliminated approx 1/5 the weight of the knife
    the user of that blade typically wears mesh style gym shorts to work and wanted to to be as light as possible for that reason
    Milling the liners also changed the balance point of the knife so that the pivot of the knife is now the balance point, this makes its more user friendly

14. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    Spend enough time on the forum and you will realise: there are more then one school of thought. For excample, according to your thought process ounces= pounds, pounds = pain. Others feel pounds=strength. Then there is at least my school of thought, pounds= I don't care it feels fine in my pocket and hand when I cut. None are wrong, just different opinions.

I disagree on the gym shorts tough. Then I clip on a Salt :) but for day to day use working in the field I don't know the difference when walking through the door and thinking, 'Damn I wish I had a 4ounce knife rather then a 4.5 ounce, my right leg is so tired I could die'. My safety boots are much more of a concern after 12 hours.

Btw, you did fantastic work and as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

15. Fredde90210

Fredde90210

May 14, 2010
    wow I can barely tie my shoes after drinking

16. Bigge68

Bigge68

Feb 13, 2012
    Eric Glesser said in a interview they didn't skeletonized the liner because of cost and pocket lint. Not because of strength. It's on the nutnfancy review video of the manix, around the 28min mark.
    These liner belong to my knife. And it feel great in my pocket. I found myself not carrying this knife because it was to heavy. But now its been finding its way in my edc rotation more.

Thank you mioduz for your work highly recommend this to anyone that has a mantix.

17. dsmegst

dsmegst

Jul 21, 2009
    Sir, I am impressed and jealous. Nice work.

18. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    mioduz, great job! Maybe the factory could use your help. :)

Great point marthinus! Couldn't have said it better myself. Personally I love the full liners, don't care if they are skeletonized on the Manix 2 or XL, it's the larger fixed blades that are starting to kill me with the weight.

19. sogflash

sogflash

Aug 28, 2011
    looks like you did a good job.

I just have to say that I don't get why some people want their knives to weigh next to nothing. they are most likely not going to the north pole, so they don't need to save weight everywhere.

I got a manix 2 and I love the weight of it. I also got a manix 2 XL, but unfortunately I got one with milled out liners.

20. mioduz

mioduz

May 28, 2012
    what are the benefits of the heavier knife?