Mike Wilson #1 in D2 with green maple

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was in NC on vacation ( just got back to FL this morning ) and went to one of those town arts and crafts fairs in Hayesville N. Carolina.... I walked aimlessly around. Nothing really peaked my interest ( I was there with my buddy and his two kids , we went for them. ) And Boom I saw a huge gleaming bowie in the distance. Like a moth to a flame I was on target and incoming. And here was a table of absolutely gorgeous knives. So I started rapping with the Forger .... " Wilson ya say ? " " Yes , mike wilson he replied " . So like a kid in a candy store I began to ask him about everything he had promising " I'm not wasting your time here sir . I'm going to buy something !! " haha He laughed and said " No problem I can answer any question you have . "

Now I had been looking for a good D2 tool steel blade for a while and he advised me several I was looking at was infact D2 . But which one I thought . And It came down to 2 and he picked both up and said #237 or some such model number and then the one I really liked #1`. And how can ya go wrong with model #1 that he had been forging he said since 1984.

I usually don't have money like this to drop on custom knives as they can get quite expensive. But I had a discretionary vacation budget and me and this knife were both in the right place at the right time.
I was extremely impressed as forging D2 can be tricky getting it at the right temp and bringing it down correctly.

So thanks mike she's a beauty and everyone that sees her compliments me on the choice. It was great talking to you . I thought I'd see ya lurkin around the ol blade forums :D

So ladies and gents I present you Wilson custom knives Model #1

Wznols8.jpg

UMV9Pob.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on a beautiful piece! Funny how we always find things we would love to have....then we come across them completely by chance!

Donnie

Thank you sir . I would have never imagined running into a world class knife forger in such a small town fair . Beautiful town it is too .

I'll tell ya . A year later . When I bought this knife I told Mr. Wilson " Anyone can forge D2 , only a select few can forge D2 correctly " and man Mike Wilson is one of those people .

I think I ran this blade through a ceramic sharpener like twice ?? And that's it . This blade is still hair shaving sharp . I haven't exactly abused it but this knife has definitely been worn and used .

The only thing is the belt loop is starting to peel just a bit off the sheath exposing un dyed leather. But the knife itself ? Still awesome .

This has become my favorite carry knife.

Thanks mike !! This is a truly A1 blade . Your work is exemplary .

Very nice knife and sheath, Looks to have a nice polish and that is something to compliment as D2 is hard to get a nice polish on.

I think I bumped the knife in the garbage after work the other night . garbage went today . I think im gonna throw up .

I think I bumped the knife in the garbage after work the other night . garbage went today . I think im gonna throw up .
Wow , It is Oct ,4th 2019 and I just found this knife . I have a ford bronco and the knife was wedged down in the driver's seat frame rail on the bottom interior .

Looks like the seat slider ran the blade over a couple times but it just got a few scratches on it . Woohoo!!! I'm stoked . I forgot all about this knife and thought it was buried under thousand of pounds of garbage at the landfill!!

Wow , It is Oct ,4th 2019 and I just found this knife . I have a ford bronco and the knife was wedged down in the driver's seat frame rail on the bottom interior .

Looks like the seat slider ran the blade over a couple times but it just got a few scratches on it . Woohoo!!! I'm stoked . I forgot all about this knife and thought it was buried under thousand of pounds of garbage at the landfill!!
Thank the gods you have found it! That is a gorgeous knife, I didn't know that D2 could get to such a mirror polish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back