1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

milling machines

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Jeff Faria, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Jeff Faria

Jeff Faria KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 21, 2012
    can table top milling machines do the job well or should i look at finding a good old knee mill basicaly i need it for slotting gaurds tapering full tang handles 440 c is the steel i will use most

2. metalmole

metalmole

Jun 3, 2010
    bench top will do just fine for that.....

3. Tait

Tait

Sep 26, 2009
    Metalmole, how would you (personally) use a benchtop mill for tapering full tang knives? I've never figured out how to do it better than on my grinder...

4. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Small mill is fine for slotting guards.

Use a grinder for tapering tangs...

5. JamesBro

JamesBro

Aug 21, 2012
    sherline mini mills pop up on ebay frequently.

6. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    If you have a big enough mill its not hard....ive tapered tangs on my bridgeport. I did the math and just figured out how much i needed to raise the tang to get the right angle then used a tilting table attachment to hold the blade. The harder part was doing the math over so that when i flipped it over the angle got re-adjusted correctly.

Probably not worth the effort but its certainly do-able with a fullsize mill. I hogged 1/8" of steel at a time.

7. Tait

Tait

Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks David,

Was that with a face mill?

I have a setup for face milling stock (with a magnetic chuck), but found it caused stress bending in the thin stuff I was hoping to do it on.

8. David Schott

David Schott

Sep 27, 2004
    I just did it with a carbide endmill. My bridgeport is a 1944 m-head that accepts only a 1/2" max size collet so finding decent face mills with 1/2" shanks hasnt been too easy.

9. metalmole

metalmole

Jun 3, 2010
    Ive never tapered a tang on my mill, but have tapered other parts, as David stated getting your part held in the right position is the tricky part, also be careful holding parts with a magnetic chuck for milling, those tables are made for grinding, some of the magnetic chucks just dont have the hold down power for milling...

10. metalmole

metalmole

Jun 3, 2010
    I call the Sherline mills a suitcase mill, I have a couple and they are allright for very small fine work, but they are very limited and one will find out very quickly they need something bigger. I would suggest getting a mill bigger than you think you will need as you will find more and more uses for it......

11. Fellhoelter

Fellhoelter

Dec 29, 2005
    It's just double... If it's 2 degrees on one side, then you fixture off of that newly cut surface it would be 4 degrees.
    2.5 > 5
    Etc...