1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.
  1. Gregmsimpson

Gregmsimpson

May 18, 2016
    Team:

I don't know much about old Randall's so I have I question. Was the Model 7 "Fisherman-Hunter" ever made in a 4 inch version? If so how long ago? I see 4.5 and 5 inches in the current catalog but I like a shorter knife. If available and common I may try and find one.

I just picked up a model 8 and have a 27 mini in the mail. One of these will turn into a user for backpacking. I'm still in search of that perfect knife.

Cheers!!!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 11:59 AM
  2. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    To me 4.5 and up is perfect for a fixed blade, unless you want a skinner than a shorter blade works. Randall seems like they agree and make their smaller blade models a little bigger over the years. Folding knives cover a shorter/just need to cut something quickly role....Just get it, is all i'm trying to say

3. Gregmsimpson

Gregmsimpson

May 18, 2016
    I'm a backpacker and literally count ounces so the lighter the knife the better. I'm not a fan of folders and love Randalls so I'll carry an extra ounce or two in a knife. I have a 5-5 for canoe camping and find it way to big for hiking. I'd like to get a 7 if I can get one in 4 inches. Just don't need 4.5. I'd even consider vintage.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod Gold Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Greg, going back through the catalogs, I found no listing for a 4" model #7, going back to its introduction in 1945. Model's # 5, 8, 11, and 26, yes, but not a #7. Hope that helps...

5. cut_n_run

cut_n_run

Apr 29, 2005
    Greg, why not consider Gary Randall's special knife, the GTR? It is quite small and light, and should answer most of your needs. (CLICK HERE)
    If the 4-inch blade is mandatory, then look at the Model #26 - Pathfinder (though the weight is a couple ounces more than the GTR)>
    ...and a couple of 3.8-ounce knives: 27 mini-Trailblazer and 27M Copper miniature.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 3:49 PM
  6. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    I get it, part of the backpacking hobby is counting weight...in reality, on a weekend trip, a Victorinox cadet won't weigh you down that much.....

7. Gregmsimpson

Gregmsimpson

May 18, 2016
    Melvin-Purvis: Thanks you for checking the catalogs. Greatly appreciated.

Cut & Run: Thanks for the suggestions. The mini is the winner so far.

Extrastout: You are correct, counting weight is part of it. I'm in my 50s and a few ounces adds to a few extra pounds and a whole lot less fun. I try to do 150 miles on the Appalachian Trail at a time. I usually carry a little 2 ounce knife, but there is something special about a Randall and I haven't found the perfect one yet. On my desk is a copper mini, 8-4, and 5-4. An 11-3 is in the desk - three of these will be sold in the next few weeks. Part of the fun is finding the perfect knife. Either the mini or 5-4 will make it into my pack. I was thinking the 7-4 would be like the mini just a bit bigger. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I just wish I could get a 7-4 instead of a 7-4.5. The pathfinder never appealed to me and I was told the GTR is tough to resell as it isn't as popular. Although the Randall shop did recommend the GTR.

extrastout likes this.
  8. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013

9. extrastout

Mar 10, 2013
    I just ordered the Denmark Special from the non catalog knives, but its 4.5"......I tried lol....My friend is a through hiker of the Appalachian trail and this is where I learned of the weight thing. Its a huge deal, I appreciate and give you credit for actually getting out there Gregmsimpson...You sir deserve the best!

10. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod Gold Member

Jan 14, 2001
    The Denmark is a great choice; super light with that #6 blade grind, and a real cutter. Good call. :thumbsup: