1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by supratentorial, Aug 11, 2012.

1. supratentorial

supratentorial Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Regrinds. Filework. Reblades. Rehandles. Let's see 'em.

Three Bose pattern regular production Case knives. All three reground, the CV blades on the swayback jack and back pocket are acid etched and blued.

"Every Day Kerry" Back Pocket and Swayback Jack
    &
    Sowbelly "à la Menefee".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. StuntDouble

StuntDouble

Apr 26, 2004
    Wow, those guys did a great job on your knives. I never thought to send a production knife to a custom maker to have work done. I've got a Buck 703 that could use a reprofiling, I guess now I just have to figure out who to send it to.

3. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    buck 301
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    buck 303
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    queen serpentine jack
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    queen canoe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    since then i've changed the mirror finish to a satin one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the regrinds, the patina on all that can take it will be an earned one, like those on my peanuts and medium stockman.

4. supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Nice work, jacktrades_nbk! What belt grinder did you use?

5. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    Well, it wasn't me, except for some blade finishing with sandpaper and scotch brite..:D
    The sheepsfoot blade on the 303 was done by a local knifemaker, i think with a special grinder made by him for small blades, and everything else by an old guy who sharpens stuff for a living.
    Couldn't tell you about the machinery, as i don't know for sure, but he did run them through i think four different grinders and buffing wheels, while dipping the blades from time to time in some liquid to keep them cool. His job wasn't the greatest compared to the knifemaker's, as i've redone the finish, also the tang area is not the best..especially on the hollow grinds of the bucks, but the knives sure cut now, and are easy to maintain.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    They look good!

I was testing out the BackPocket today... ;)

[​IMG]

7. jacktrades_nbk

jacktrades_nbk

Feb 7, 2007
    Quite a backpocket :D:D

8. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Jake, you need to sharpen the backpocket-- the edges of the cut are a little ragged. ;) :D

Here is my only mod on a saddlehorn, taking the clip to a Wharncliffe.

[​IMG]

10. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Most of my mods have been rehandles. The #73 had a lanyard hole added too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This #89 had the sharp portions on the spines of the blades sanded down to make it more comfortable to handle.
    [​IMG]

11. Really nice work, I really like the acid etch.

12. Doug Add

Doug Add

Jan 9, 2012
    I had my boyhood Colonial barlow rehandled in marigold bone, and the pen blade reground to a wharncliffe.

Original:

[​IMG]

Updated:

[​IMG]

13. confucius37

confucius37

May 18, 2008
    I had the blades reground on my Queen Dan Burke Barlow. It used to be a very uneven flat grind and it wasn't even close to centered. I am much happier now that it has a quasi convex grind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MattWRog

MattWRog Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2005

I agree! Have to ask, did you disassemble the back pocket for the etch? Ferric Chloride or...? Nice even color looks really good.

15. supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Nice work, sit flyer! Looks like a million Bucks!

Jeff, I like that blade combo… it worked out nicely with nail nick too.

Trand and Doug, Those rehandles are really nice. …by the way… a while back, the photo of that blue GEC 73 had me scouring the dealer sites before I realized it was a rehandle! :p

confucius37, The grinds look much improved.

MattWRog, I didn't do the work on the knives and I'm not sure about the details. I am sure that they weren't disassembled. The blades were blued as well as acid etched and most of the color is from the bluing. The photo of the Back Pocket was taken after it had been used so the color is a little worn. The photo of the Swayback jack was taken before use.

16. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mainly just blade changes but the mora's and opinel were a little more work :D

17. quattromori

quattromori

May 7, 2011
    Nice mods gentlemen. I wish I was skilled enough to try some.
    Jacktrades, I really like the grind on your Buck..maybe someday I'll do the same thing to my 303.
    Trand, I know I've told you before, but the blue denim micarta looks awesome!

Fausto
    :cool:

18. 300Bucks

300Bucks Moderator Moderator

Apr 19, 2005
    Buck 309 changed to Axis deer stag
    [​IMG]

I laugh when I handle this one, Imperial (Ireland) stockman, 10 dollar knife with a 50 dollar scale. Actually, I call it my glue test knife.
    [​IMG]

303 with real ivory. Don't fret it was a recycled 'old' 45 auto grip panel.
    [​IMG]

303 with stablized burlwood scale. I am hiding the tiny sanding nic I put on one spring.
    [​IMG]

Lastly a fake modification. I made a jigged bone Buck using photo trickery, pushing a Buck factory icon to make a jigged bone scale stockman. Alas, it has not worked to date......if it had been real I would have EDC'd it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  19. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    300, those all look terrific . . . but that ivory one, OMGosh!!!

20. supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Corso, I've been thinking of trying the two-blade Opinel mod. I saw some neat ones on a French forum... the handles were actually redone but I was thinking of just using a router to widen the well for the blades. Is that what you did?

Nice ones, 300! I agree with Jeff about the ivory!