Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Here's one I showed today in the Wooden Wednesday thread but it belongs here as well.
Keen Kutter barlow frame with sheepfoot blade (2 different knives), bocote covers and file work on spring (1st effort)

I posted this one earlier but it belongs here too. Opinel No. 8. hand tools only. Sanded to 2000 polished with leather strop. Inlays: Jatoba, water buffalo horn. Patina work: vinegar followed by mustard for the stripes. Aloha! Msturm
aVyir3y.jpg
B5APpOH.jpg

I posted this one earlier but it belongs here too. Opinel No. 8. hand tools only. Sanded to 2000 polished with leather strop. Inlays: Jatoba, water buffalo horn. Patina work: vinegar followed by mustard for the stripes. Aloha! Msturm

That's a really nice mod on that opinel especially all done by hand. A definite labor of love.

Man you guys are doing some amazing work!! Just incredible to see all the talent out there.

Here's one I did recently. A buddy of mine hit a live wire with the backspring on his Schrade scrimshaw knife and pretty much blew the covers right off. Never did take a before pic but I did snap one of the removed covers. Rehandled it in cocobolo and had a spare NRA shield from Canal Street lying on the bench so I put that in too. He's an avid gun collector as well as knife hound so I figured it would fit right in. Of course I had to remove the scrimshaw etch from the blade as well, didn't realize that until I saw the knife through the camera viewfinder lol!

6p89du.jpg
[/IMG]
6p89du.jpg
6p89du.jpg
6p89du.jpg
[/IMG]

bdqhxt.jpg

Eric

That's a great looking piece, Eric!

FINALLY got my last TL-29 mods done! Couple misunderstandings later I got the NS pins needed to finish the job...but they dont blend any of the bolsters like the last couple pins I ordered but I dont mind, these are users anyways!

First up, the oldest Camillus Ive gotten my hands on. Tang Stamp dates to 1941-1946. It was in ok shape, blade has been used and sharpened numerous times in the past (which I like) and was polished up at some point. I put some dark red bone on it and went with a pocket worn look. This knife has the best "walk and talk" of any Ive messed with by far.

Next is a brand new Camillus. It came to me smeared in grease and looked to be new as can be. I put some amber bone and left the jigging as prominent as I could...and I LOVE it. This blade did NOT want to center like a few others Ive messed with in the past. A little work and I got it. It has a light pull and feels awesome but compared to the older Camillus, theres no comparison lol

Finally, a random old Shrade that I picked up for its wooden handles and shield. Tang stamp dates to 1946-1973. I liked the "used" look of the handles so I tried my best to not mess with them at all, just took out the screw driver blade which was in terrible shape and took some time to even get opened and left the natural patina on the main blade. This knife is very similar to the older Camillus in its snap...its amazing!

Still dont hold a CANDLE to some of the amazing TL29 mods Ive seen but Ive had a blast with these, especially the older ones. Breathing new life into them was very satisfying to say the least.

Matt

Thanks very much! I love working with jigged bone but need to learn to peen the pins and not cracking the scales. The red one came out just fine but the amber handles have some small cracks. Cant see them thanks to the jigging unless you look hard but Im gonna have to figure out how to peen on uneven jigging with less damage!

Matt

Giraffe bone? I Like it, the rattail is a nice touch, but I must not be doing it right, I'm not using a breaker bar!

Back