1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Mora sheath questin

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Bruceter, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Bruceter

Bruceter Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2000
    Hi All,

I just got a Mora Clipper in stainless and have a question about the factory sheath. The sheath seems to be a bit loose, if you turn it upside down, the knife will fall out. Is there a way to tighten up the factory sheath?

TIA

Bruceter

2. theamazingdrew

theamazingdrew

Nov 18, 2009
    heat gun it

3. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    Moras come with pretty crappy sheaths. If you're willing, custom sheaths are pretty nice for them.

4. Bruceter

Bruceter Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2000
    Thanks for the help!
    I think I have an old tube in the garage, I'll give that a try.

Bruceter

5. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Feb 2, 2004
    Thanks for the tip Blackhills. :thumbup:

6. skab8541

skab8541

Dec 6, 2006
  7. Loosearrow

Loosearrow

Apr 14, 2008
    You could glue a 1/2 inch thin strip of leather or innertube to the inside of the sheath to snug it up some.

8. facablade

facablade

May 23, 2009
    hi you know if you keep original shealth you can use it to blow air to fire up ambers using like a tube

9. Kiah

Kiah S&S Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2006
    That one works well. Heat it right above the guard placement and squeeze (with gloves on). I've done it with a lighter as well in a pinch, though it ain't pretty. Just make sure you shake the bejeesus out of it to test before trying to wear it inverted.

Also, a tight elastic band can be put through the belt loop and slipped over the butt to lock in the valley of the handle. Easy on, easy off.

10. Kiah

Jul 20, 2006
    I've tried that and I can't do it. The loop gags me.

11. sambo.

sambo.

Dec 30, 2009
    for what a Mora costs you, who cares how crappy the sheath is?

to my mind, putting a nice custom sheath on a clipper 860 is like putting a $20,000 stereo system inside a Trabant.

that said, the Clipper 860 is, imho, the best bargain in the wonderful world of shiny, sharp, edged objects.

12. Kiah

Jul 20, 2006
    Not at all. Those who like the Moras and use them a lot sometimes just want a better pair of pants for them to ride in.

Sure they're cheap and ugly, but we still love 'em enough to not wanna lose 'em.

Ain't it pretty?:p

[​IMG]

13. sambo.

sambo.

Dec 30, 2009
    oooh, ok. i'm sold. yes, it's very pretty.

i'd hope it would probably last through a few 860s.

how much and where do i get one of those from? it'd probably last me a couple of 860's (i have one as a "loan-blade". the poor thing gets abused more than it deserves)

14. Kiah

Jul 20, 2006
    Oh, I meant the knife, just reused an old pic and didn't crop. :eek:

Though I'll admit the sheath is pretty as well if I do say so myself. ;)

If you wanna shoot me an email, I'll send you the details if you want one or just ask in my forum. :thumbup:

15. Switchblade61

Switchblade61

Nov 11, 2009
    It's not only the looks of the original sheath, but the safe retaining of the knife as well. For the most part, those factory sheaths don't do a great job there either...

16. Marion David Poff

Marion David Poff

Oct 8, 1998
    Exactly.

With the sheaths like Kiah and I make, you can even suspend the knife upside down if you want...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marion