• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mosaic Mediterranean Bowie

attachment.php

This Bowie was made from a 152 layer radialed damascus Billet. The steel used was 1080 & 15n20. Oal - 12 1/8" w/ 7 1/8" blade. The bolster and pommel are made from the same damascus billet.Tang is continuous though the handle and is drilled, and threaded to the pommel. Handle is african Blackwood with nickel spacers. The sheath for this bowie has not been made yet, so buyer has option of right or left hand carry. A snake skin inlay could be added to the sheath for just a few dollars more. The sheath will be made from high quality 8-9oz. leather, hand sewn and custom fitted. $675.00 + shipping

If anyone has any questions , please e-mail.

Thank You

Bill

Mr. Buxton,
The pattern on the blade of the blackwood handled knife is exquisite.

Very nice indeed.

Brownie

Beautiful work!
How do you lay up a billet to get that pattern?
Even in plain steel it woud be great. Wonderful craftsmanship...Ken

Thank you for the nice compliments, they truly are appreciated.

Simmonsk,
The first thing you do is weld up your billet to the number of layers desired, in this particular billet I welded,folded and rewelded 4 times. Then you draw the billet out square, next you butterfly your square billet, cut it into 4 equal lengths and recube. Then back into the forge and reweld. Draw out again to a square billet. Now comes the hard part. You have to open the billet up, so you accordian cut it, and at welding heat you very slowly open it up. I've seen billets tear and be totally ruined in this final process. Don't ask how I know. :( Anyway after the billet is opened up and flattened, then you can forge out your blade. The "mosaic quad bowie" I also have posted here on the exchange, was taken another step farther, the billet after butterflying and recubeing was cut into 4 equal cubes and restacked then opened up. If you look close you can see the 4 radial patterns instead of just the 1. These mosaic patterns are very time consuming, and your pattern can be lost at any point during the whole process, but when they come out, they are a pure pleasure to hold and look at, as well as use.

Hope this helps,

Bill

I said it before, and I'll say it again -- :eek: :eek:

That is absolutely gorgeous! :D

I love this knife. It is outstanding. Aside from the amazing Damascus work of the blade, the overall design of the knife is just so cool. I can't quite put my finger on it. It looks almost medieval, yet built with modern materials and superb craftmanship.

It's low key, but it is also quite attractive.

Back