MSP Core 4 Stove (Core 4 Bio-reactor Multifunction Stove)

Thanks again for the review/tutorial. It is indeed an interesting design.

Glade you like it!
Looks like you had a great time out there. Shower of sparks are always cool in the woods.

Thanks for sharing some great pictures!
ADB

I got some questions about how the gasifier inserts work so I took some pics that show the inside of the stove while assembling it.
Maybe more people find them useful, so here they are :)

Core-4_20.jpg

Core-4_21.jpg

Core-4_22.jpg

Core-4_23.jpg

Msp core thermite video.
Nothing fancy just showing it burning and its size.
[video=youtube_share;mjXAt0DZwN4]http://youtu.be/mjXAt0DZwN4[/video]

Another wonderful video ADB!
You have another subscriber now :)

Love the comparison to similar stoves you do in your videos.
Look forward to see the Thermite burn in gasifier mode with rocketport (my favorite way to set up the Core 4).
Thanks for all time and effort you put in these video reviews.

Another wonderful video ADB!
You have another subscriber now :)

Love the comparison to similar stoves you do in your videos.
Look forward to see the Thermite burn in gasifier mode with rocketport (my favorite way to set up the Core 4).
Thanks for all time and effort you put in these video reviews.

Thanks for the sub!
I will post here to let everyone know when that Thermite video is up.

Prepped some firewood for my MSP Core 4 stove with the Esee 4 today.
First time I tried the stove with the 4 gasifier inserts and the door plate (see how new it is, no discoloration!)

The goods :)
dShN9CFOtA2EpedzD_lNFsDSqMOUOl0cC-qmn2GkMuE=w800-h533-no

Prepping it:
Core-4_32.jpg

All done:
Core-4_30.jpg

Stuffed all the wood in there in one go:
Core-4_33.jpg

Flames... yay!
Core-4_34.jpg

Higher :)
Core-4_35.jpg

Awesome pictures.
I live seeing stoves in action!
I noticed the parts right away. So how do you like it with afterburners?

Awesome pictures.
I live seeing stoves in action!
I noticed the parts right away. So how do you like it with afterburners?

I haven't actually used it for cooking with the 4 afterburners, so I'd have to test it out some more my a better opinion...
Fit thoughts are that I prefer to be able to feed the fire through the rocketport, the loading of wood through the top seems more of a hassle to me as it has to be smaller/shorter.
Hard to see the different in efficiency between 4 and 3 afterburners + rockerport installed, I guess timed cooking test can show the difference.

For now I still favour the setup with 3 afterburners and the rocketport.

What's your favourite way to set up the Core 4?

I haven't actually used it for cooking with the 4 afterburners, so I'd have to test it out some more my a better opinion...
Fit thoughts are that I prefer to be able to feed the fire through the rocketport, the loading of wood through the top seems more of a hassle to me as it has to be smaller/shorter.
Hard to see the different in efficiency between 4 and 3 afterburners + rockerport installed, I guess timed cooking test can show the difference.

For now I still favour the setup with 3 afterburners and the rocketport.

What's your favourite way to set up the Core 4?

Same as you. I did many timed boil test and settled on ysing the feed port.

I like it with rocket port and 3 afterburners & TLUD plate. If I plan on frying with a regular 7"-9" frying pan I take the TLUD plate out for more even heating to the outer edge of the pan. Personally I use a 8" cast Iron lodge pan. If my fuel is damp I always use the TLUD plate.

I got one of these this week. So far I've done about 5 burns with it, mostly in 4-side configuration with 3 afterburners and the rocketplate.

I'm not an experienced stove expert, and this is my first wood-burning pack stove. I like the light weight, and the ability to use gathered materials to operate. I'm currently working with how I want to get the stove going - starting from the top does not seem to work well for me, and it can be difficult to get the stove lit through the rocketport with a ferro rod.

However, once going , it burns very well. Hot, concentrated flame with the TLUD plate, mine got about a liter and a half of water boiling in my Mors pot in about 12 minutes.

One thing about these wood stoves I was not prepared for is how quickly they can go through fuel. The stove does a great job of burning the wood completely, but I wasn't prepared for how quickly it could go through it. Not a knock against the Core, just an observation from someone new to this type of stove.

I got one of these this week. So far I've done about 5 burns with it, mostly in 4-side configuration with 3 afterburners and the rocketplate.

I'm not an experienced stove expert, and this is my first wood-burning pack stove. I like the light weight, and the ability to use gathered materials to operate. I'm currently working with how I want to get the stove going - starting from the top does not seem to work well for me, and it can be difficult to get the stove lit through the rocketport with a ferro rod.

However, once going , it burns very well. Hot, concentrated flame with the TLUD plate, mine got about a liter and a half of water boiling in my Mors pot in about 12 minutes.

One thing about these wood stoves I was not prepared for is how quickly they can go through fuel. The stove does a great job of burning the wood completely, but I wasn't prepared for how quickly it could go through it. Not a knock against the Core, just an observation from someone new to this type of stove.

Good to hear you're enjoying you new stove :) After 5 burns you should have a nice color sceme going on your titanium plates. :D
I find starting with a firesteel to work best from the top (I can't light it with a firesteel through the rocketport).
Just make sure you pack enough woodcurls and stuf so the thin twigs beneath will have the chance to catch on fire before the tinder burns out.

My guess is the concntrated flame is the reason you burn through your wood so fast.
It surprised me too at first. Just mak sure you have a nice stash of sticks ready before you start :)

Been out camping in Scotland for a couple of weeks... here's my MSP Core 4 stove action :)
With noodles... best hiking lunch food there is :D

SAM_4700.JPG

SAM_4703.JPG

SAM_4705.JPG

SAM_4708.JPG

Been out camping in Scotland for a couple of weeks... here's my MSP Core 4 stove action :)
With noodles... best hiking lunch food there is :D

SAM_4700.JPG

SAM_4703.JPG

SAM_4705.JPG

SAM_4708.JPG

Great pictures! Looks like its nice out there!
Glad your liking the Core 4!
Is that a trangia kettle? What size is it?

Great pictures! Looks like its nice out there!
Glad your liking the Core 4!
Is that a trangia kettle? What size is it?

Yeah, I love the stove!
Puts a big smile on my face every time I use it.

You have a sharp eye my friend, that IS an aluminum Trangia kettle, in 0.9 l size.
Enough to boil water for 2 portions of noodles :)
My gf made a cinch bag to store it in after use in my backpack, to prevent soot covering all my stuff. :)

I first wanted to buy the 0.6l one, but I'm glad I got the bigger one as it's still al small kettle.
And to get the 0.9l in there means you have to fill it up to the spout, making it near impossible to move over your fire without spilling water.
Also when boiling the water when filled with the 0.9l the water will come out and spill on the fire...

Just another pic from my England/Scotland camping trip to make this thread more fun :)

2015-07-31%25252019.57.25.jpg

Yeah, I love the stove!
Puts a big smile on my face every time I use it.

You have a sharp eye my friend, that IS an aluminum Trangia kettle, in 0.9 l size.
Enough to boil water for 2 portions of noodles :)
My gf made a cinch bag to store it in after use in my backpack, to prevent soot covering all my stuff. :)

I first wanted to buy the 0.6l one, but I'm glad I got the bigger one as it's still al small kettle.
And to get the 0.9l in there means you have to fill it up to the spout, making it near impossible to move over your fire without spilling water.
Also when boiling the water when filled with the 0.9l the water will come out and spill on the fire...

Just another pic from my England/Scotland camping trip to make this thread more fun :)

2015-07-31%25252019.57.25.jpg

I like kettles. I have several gsi kettles in stainless and their aluminum but was liking how the trangia fits on there. Appreciate the info and please feel free to post puctures anytime on here!
Nice blade in that one!

I like kettles. I have several gsi kettles in stainless and their aluminum but was liking how the trangia fits on there. Appreciate the info and please feel free to post puctures anytime on here!
Nice blade in that one!

Yeah, it's a perfect fit, I love that too!
hate scrubbing the soot of when I get home though.
Sometimes it gets all sticky on the botom.

You should do a kettle comparison video some day :)
That'll be fun.... the different stoves you have with different kettles cooking :D
(that'll speed up getting 200 subscribers on your youtube channel ;) )

Yeah, it's a perfect fit, I love that too!
hate scrubbing the soot of when I get home though.
Sometimes it gets all sticky on the botom.

You should do a kettle comparison video some day :)
That'll be fun.... the different stoves you have with different kettles cooking :D
(that'll speed up getting 200 subscribers on your youtube channel ;) )

Try rubbing dish soap all over the bottom of a clean kettle/pot right before you cook/boil on a wood stove. Seems to make it easier to clean the black off when you get home.

I should do that video huh. I just ordered a trangia so we'll see when it arrives ;)

Back