1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.
  3. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

musk ox horn, raw large burl

Discussion in 'For Sale: Knifemaking Supplies & Tools' started by milesofalaska, May 25, 2011.

1. milesofalaska

milesofalaska KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 4, 2010
    I thought someone might want to cut their own horn to suit a special need - and save some money. I have one customer for example who makes straight razors and needs 7 inches length.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Musk ox horn burl
    5.5 pounds. 8 inches x 6 inches x 4 inches. This is the highly sought after part of the musk oc horn knife makers seek with the nice swirly patterns. Usually sold as finished scales for high dollars. I decided to offer the main part so you can cut it how you want to meet your requirements. Maybe extra thick or extra long. Save money cutting it yourself. Asking $60 a pound so $330. Enough material for maybe 8 sets of scales, so $41 a set that retails for over $100 a set.
    Keep in mind there is some bone in the weight and this is fresh material that needs drying. Normally I put an $80 a pound value on this material so the $60 a pound allows for bone and moisture.

Below is what this looks like sliced

[​IMG]
    Best way to buy is go to my web site and use the pay pal shop cart this item about halfway down page http://www.milesofalaska.net/knife_Materials/

Last edited: May 26, 2011