My BK-16 saved my life...

Glad it all ended well! I got lost twice in the Amazon jungle and my BK2 made ​​all the difference ... survive with a becker is easier!
Very true, can't even imagine surviving in the jungle, so much wetter, and a lot more dangerous critters. Our only problem was getting clean water and keeping warm

Glad it all worked out Wam. Way to keep a cool head in a serious situation. Kudos brother.

Glad you are ok now man :).

Geeezus, so glad to hear y'all made it okay. What an experience. Way to keep a cool head and work together. I bet you could use this to impart some wisdom.

Glad to hear all is well. You did get some good pics though...

Grats on walking out!

Thanks guys

Glad you made it home dude! Way to use your resources and keep your head about you.

Glad you made it out Wambo!

thank you! you have defiantly made me consider what is in my pockets and backpack I carry everyday!

Grats on the walk out !!! Life lesson right there. I know it is redundant now, but pick yourself up a cheap little pack & put the crap in there you would need just in case & keep it in your vehicle & sling it on every time you stray from your vehicle. Mishaps become disasters when you are not prepared. Disasters become inconveniences when you are prepared !!!

Excellent post.

Its the man behind the knife, not the knife itself. You should be proud, you were in a tough spot, but.had enough resources to see you through it.

Glad you made it out. And it may sound a bit off, but that sounds like my idea of a fun time.

Moose

but honestly, think of the thousands of people that make treks like you did, every day. I guarantee you were far more prepared than the vast majority of them.

How true! And we get tasked with finding their remains. From my years in search and rescue, I can say that it would be quite some time before ground teams, starting at the Point Last Seen (PLS), would have found you that far out. Your only hope would have been aircraft.

Thanks for sharing! It might help someone else in the future.

Wow man. Glad you're O.K.
Sounds like a helluva 24 hrs.!

How true! And we get tasked with finding their remains. From my years in search and rescue, I can say that it would be quite some time before ground teams, starting at the Point Last Seen (PLS), would have found you that far out. Your only hope would have been aircraft.

Its kind of ironic that you quoted me, and that your search and rescue. So am I, for the last 11 years. I've got a camping trip starting in a day or 2, then we got recerts. Gonna be a great few weeks!
Op, K-9 is correct, in your area, aerial would have been about the only way to find you guys in enough time. Great work again man!

holy schnikies, Wambo, what a story!
congrats on the conquering!

Great post, way to keep a cool head and use your most important tool-your brain! :thumbup:

I hope you don't mind if I link your story in Wilderness & Survival Skills Section. I think the audience there would really appreciate your story.

Glad you made it out Wambo!

thank you! you have defiantly made me consider what is in my pockets and backpack I carry everyday!

Grats on the walk out !!! Life lesson right there. I know it is redundant now, but pick yourself up a cheap little pack & put the crap in there you would need just in case & keep it in your vehicle & sling it on every time you stray from your vehicle. Mishaps become disasters when you are not prepared. Disasters become inconveniences when you are prepared !!!

Absolutely, I had a daypack with some bare essentials with me (didn't take the time to do a gear check and really evaluate what I might need before I left). This made me really think about what I need to bring with me every time I go out

Excellent post.

Its the man behind the knife, not the knife itself. You should be proud, you were in a tough spot, but.had enough resources to see you through it.

Glad you made it out. And it may sound a bit off, but that sounds like my idea of a fun time.

Moose

Thanks Moose, while I am proud of my skills, I am a bit ashamed that I let myself and my friend get into this bad of a situation, we got careless with what gear we were bringing, and we panicked and got way off-course, not exactly the response I'd hope I'd have to this situation but very common from what I understand.

And this would have been a fun time for me too if it wasn't raining I had better clothes on and more water :D I don't really mind not knowing exactly where I am as long as I have a decent bearing on where "back" is, we got confused and lost that bearing.

No problem I hope it does. That was kind of the reason we broke the "stay put" rule. the way we figured it, the truck had to be about 10 miles from us, we trudged through some really thick woods to get in, and the weather was pretty bad, so a heli or planewould be unlikely to be out or even see us, we knew we couldn't spend more than another night out there so we made the decision to try to backtrack.

Wow man. Glad you're O.K. Sounds like a helluva 24 hrs.!

Thanks, scary experience but I hope I'm better for it.

Glad your OK. I bet your buddies are going to start buying beckers now ;)
Ha I think that may become a trend :D

Its kind of ironic that you quoted me, and that your search and rescue. So am I, for the last 11 years. I've got a camping trip starting in a day or 2, then we got recerts. Gonna be a great few weeks!
Op, K-9 is correct, in your area, aerial would have been about the only way to find you guys in enough time. Great work again man!

our thoughts exactly, and thanks again

... and this is how a humble little BK-16 became someone's prized heirloom...

yep probably going to hold onto this 16 for the rest of my life (as if I wasn't already)

holy schnikies, Wambo, what a story!
congrats on the conquering!

Thanks, and I just hope It helps someone, I sure learned from this experience

Nice story, thanks for sharing!!

Thanks, glad I could share

Hi, I'm happy to ear you made it home.

Thanks happy to be home

Great post, way to keep a cool head and use your most important tool-your brain! :thumbup:

Definitely a big factor in survival, a lot of it is just a big mental challenge to stay calm and reduce further risk

Learn from your experience.

Three words: map, compass, GPS

Most definitely, we had a compass that I forgot I had in my backpack, didn't have a map of the area we got into and no gps. Using any of those three things could have easily prevented this, but we got into that "its just over that hill" mentality and didn't effectively use the resources we had when they would have helped most.

I hope you don't mind if I link your story in Wilderness & Survival Skills Section. I think the audience there would really appreciate your story.

Nope not at all, glad that it can be learned from

Glad you made out ok

Thanks man, it really gave me some perspective on life and how fragile it can be.

Thanks Moose, while I am proud of my skills, I am a bit ashamed that I let myself and my friend get into this bad of a situation, we got careless with what gear we were bringing, and we panicked and got way off-course, not exactly the response I'd hope I'd have to this situation but very common from what I understand.

And this would have been a fun time for me too if it wasn't raining I had better clothes on and more water :D I don't really mind not knowing exactly where I am as long as I have a decent bearing on where "back" is, we got confused and lost that bearing.

For me, the fun starts when that first shot of adrenaline hits, and my back teeth ache for a moment. Its rare for me to find myself in a tough place, but when I do, I find it to be as addictive as a drug.

The worst I ever had was a sunken skiff while night fishing on the ocean, sea side of the Mississippi Sound. Second worse, was getting way lost on a 3 day wilderness training that I did myself. From time to time, a couple of times a year, I'll put myself in the woods, with very minimal gear, if any at all. Sometimes just a knife, to keep my skills tight, and my mind right.

That's the truest tool that we all have, is the noggin. I learned the "Make tea" method of calming the hell down. Which, sometimes turns into whittle a pointy stick method of calming the hell down. You need to take a few minutes, sometimes more, to just sit down, and get your mind right, raining, snowing, windy, or sunny, you can get deaded fast if you lose your cool.

Moose

Back