My BK-16 saved my life...

so:

o bring a compass. it's around your neck. with a knife, and a light.

o bring a GPS :) there's no excuse when you can you either "daddy/mommy/buddy please give me / borrow /etc" or a smart phone

o bring a charger and/or a fist full of lithium batteries for the above. what? i have a battery based charger for my phone, solar option. you don't? cheap.

o make sure your buddy has a compass too. oh, and a bloody map. scam some printer action :)

o seriously, one knife? stupid? geez. if you can afford to hunt deer, equip your ass. if you do it in MY state, they *will* charge your $15k for a rescue if you can't show you didn't prepare. mind you, a hunting license and/or prepared hiker access goes far to making that only $5k or less ;) that said, if you are doing these kinds of things, and act dumb, well, it's the tax payers that eat your body and bury you :)

o don't be dumb! :)

o bring good minimal gear, and twice that much :D seriously, the ONLY reason people go looking for you is to get good new gear ;)

it's smart to hunker down until new light at least. make that fire. best: a gps or smart phone can tell the guys where the equipment cache is :)

all absolutely true no excuses, and we weren't hunting just for the record, scouting pre-season

Cool post! Before you venture into unfamiliar territory again though, you owe it to yourself to read up on the ultimate outdoors advice - the Modified Stationary Panic (MSP). For your convenience...

http://books.google.com/books?id=SI...v=onepage&q=modified stationary panic&f=false

Hope that helps!

Epic. I read that last night right before going to bed. My wife asked why I was laughing so hard so I had to share it with her as well. Super enjoyable read, and actually brought up a good point (if you're going to panic, its more effective to do it in the same place rather than getting more lost).

Also, Wambo I'm really happy to hear that you made it out safe. You made it out of a tough spot, and deserve lots of credit for that. And I bet next time more gear will be coming along :).

I'm not actually that experienced of a woodsman and have to say that I think at this point, you might have done better than I would have. Reading your story made me decide to go pick up a few more emergency blankets to throw in some little kits. It sounds like it saved your life.

Epic. I read that last night right before going to bed. My wife asked why I was laughing so hard so I had to share it with her as well. Super enjoyable read, and actually brought up a good point (if you're going to panic, its more effective to do it in the same place rather than getting more lost).

Glad you liked it too. McManus cracks me up like no one else and his stuff is perfect for weirdos like us. :D

---

Beckerhead #42

Also, Wambo I'm really happy to hear that you made it out safe. You made it out of a tough spot, and deserve lots of credit for that. And I bet next time more gear will be coming along :).

I'm not actually that experienced of a woodsman and have to say that I think at this point, you might have done better than I would have. Reading your story made me decide to go pick up a few more emergency blankets to throw in some little kits. It sounds like it saved your life.

Ha I thought it was too. If you can find em the emergency reflective tarps are better, reusable, tougher etc. But yeah it really helped, otherwise we would have been directly in the rain and wind.

McManus is the best.......Try Grogan's War Surplus....I have literally fallen out of my chair RE reading it.....My childhood woodland adventures in a nutshell....Only difference is Ohio vs. Idaho........Dried bat skin and all.....Lol...

Ethan

McManus is the best.......Try Grogan's War Surplus....I have literally fallen out of my chair RE reading it.....My childhood woodland adventures in a nutshell....Only difference is Ohio vs. Idaho........Dried bat skin and all.....Lol...

Ethan

We've got a surplus store close that makes me think of Grogan's every time I go there. Great stuff! :D

---

Beckerhead #42

Ethan

This is the thread that makes me want a Becker, Right on guys!

I had a college field trip the other day, and I threw in a light weight poncho and a Pocket Rocket stove along with some instant coffee and a bag of beef jerky. This was all on top of my usual backpack load-out.

This is the thread that makes me want a Becker, Right on guys!

I had a college field trip the other day, and I threw in a light weight poncho and a Pocket Rocket stove along with some instant coffee and a bag of beef jerky. This was all on top of my usual backpack load-out.

Good on ya :thumbup:

Good on ya :thumbup:
I guess I should look it up, but what are the newer clip-point Beckers that come with a second scale called? They sort of look like a Kabar but there a BK-? A picture of one would rock too. I'll give this post some time then I'll look it up, lol.

That would be the BK17 that you're looking for.

BK17[large].jpg

Back