1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

My First Folder with Thumb Slot Opener

Discussion in 'Knife Maker's Gallery' started by raylaconico, Mar 7, 2012.

1. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Here's my first folder with a thumb slot for opening. I always liked the round hole on Spydercos but I don't think I can use them on my knives. The slot is almost just as good but IMO, not quite. This is a new design that was originally going to have a thumbstud. At the last minute I realized that I had room for a slot so I decided to do away with the thumbstud. I think I like it! What do you guys think? Thanks for looking.
    -Ray Laconico

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I dig it, reminds me of a Tom Mayo design. And like you said, it's just as effective as a hole.

3. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Apr 26, 2007
    I dig it ray, the knife itself looks very refined. You also finished the clip differently?

4. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Yes, good observation! The clip is orange peel finished. I usually only do orange peel on framelocks but this time I decided to do it on the clip. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. It's easier than hand sanding and looks cool too!

5. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    You're right! Tom Mayo designs were my inspiration. I think Tom does a wider slot though which probably works better.

6. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink

Mar 4, 2012
    I prefer thumb studs but the slot you have is a nice slim profile so the blade does not have to stick out as far as a blade with a round hole in it. Regardless of the thumb equipment you make some of the most beautiful knives I have seen for some reason they catch my eye every time. Keep it up and keep them coming because one of these days I will get my hands on one.

7. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I like it. Actually, I prefer holes to thumbstuds.

8. 1SHOT1KILL

1SHOT1KILL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I was thinking the hole reminded me of the Strider/Buck hole. I like it a lot better than thumbstuds. Less stuff sticking out to snag things. (high speed, low drag:D)

9. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 18, 2011
    Very nice Ray, that is a very clean and uncluttered design. Maybe a Ti frame flipper next.........;) :thumbup:

10. 1SHOT1KILL

1SHOT1KILL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Now that WOULD be a fantasy come true:thumbup:

11. DEllis

DEllis Part Time Steel Basher Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    I like it, but the first thing I thought when I saw it was `man that`d be awesome with a flipper`......looks like I am not the only one who thought that.
    Darcy:)

12. nick425

nick425

Apr 22, 2011
    I really like this, when will they hit the shelves? ;)

13. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    I dig it.

14. ol_sc

ol_sc

Sep 12, 2011
    I think it looks even better than your studs! Love those lines!

15. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    tres slick.

16. Bwolcott

Bwolcott

Jul 18, 2011
    looks awesome man!

17. Bob Katilus

Bob Katilus

Feb 18, 2005
    I think it gives the knife clean look. Nice work. As an aside, how do you do your orange peel look- I really like it.

18. ndeezl

ndeezl Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2008
    +1

I think the aesthetics of the knife are greatly improved by the hole opener. Really looks great Ray I'd buy one of these in a flash :thumbup:

19. raylaconico

raylaconico

Jan 30, 2004
    Thanks guys.

Bob, orange peel is done on titanium with a fine scotchbrite belt running at very high speed. It's very easy.

20. JBS TOOLMAKER

JBS TOOLMAKER

May 4, 2009
    I like it. Nice design. I am a card carrying thumb stud hater.:D