my KFU TN Hunter

TPVT

Gold Member
Hey all.
I got my TN Hunter in bubinga last week. This was in the same batch that the beautiful amboyna one was in. I missed that one, but i have to tell you...i really like the bubinga. it looks great. and this handle is one of the most comfortable i have had in a larger knife. This is a great knife.

With that said, i do have to admit that i am not a fan of the antique finish. No offense intended....and, don't get me wrong, i understand many folks like it...and it's not that i don't like it...i just prefer the classic satin blade. I immediately liked this blade enough that i decided to put some time in to strip off the finish. make 'er my own.

BEFORE:
8013732909_2339fe6c20_b.jpg

8013735010_51194c1cb4_b.jpg

And, had to get one of the great handle....
8013732113_46c5f99bb5_b.jpg

AFTER:
8013733293_7fac5144b6_b.jpg

8013730623_c661d38616_b.jpg

You might notice my thumb in the pics. something i forgot to mention, this thing is lazer sharp! :D Cut right through my thumb nail.

Chris...you must do a great job with this antique finish, because wow...it ain't easy to get off. ;) this was by hand. BEFORE and AFTER took an 1+ hrs. and, i am not done. just ran out of time. i only got up to 320 grit. i will walk it up the ladder a bit on grits. I am quite pleased with how it is looking so far though.

thanks for the great knife Chris (per usual). :thumbup:

Wow, nice cut! I have had a few of those. Thanks for pics Todd!

no one cared much the first time, but that won't stop me from adding new pictures! :D

so...love the TN Hunter. Love the handle. BUT...the handle is a bit too big for my hands. too thick. so, i decided to skinnify it. i was a bit nervous because i wanted to contour this one. and, i have never done it before. but, much like this post....that has never stopped me before!

so, you will see that i need to do a bit more work on it to make it even. i had to stop though. i did it all by hand. mostly with files...then sandpaper. and, that muscle under my shoulder blade is all cramped up. i will finish another day. but, with all that said....i am pretty pleased with my first effort at a contoured handle.

even though it is a bit "rough"...it actually feels great in my hand. less talk. more pictures....

8080926872_aa8eebca37_b.jpg

8080932009_be6c0ce1ed_b.jpg

Looks nice! I am really liking the TN Hunter style.

The contouring looks like it worked well. Seems symmetrical and comfortable.

Todd, very interesting "design" on the handle. Never thought of having a grip made like that, but it looks interesting. I too am afflicted with the large handle/small blade problem with knives, but all the ones Chris has made for myself & Sally T fit like they were custom molded and then CNC cut to fit.
Is there any "hot spots" with the contouring on either the front or the back ?
Thanks for the pics, and that grain pattern on there is something else as well . . . Great score, good job on the blade as well.
Be safe.

Looks nice! I am really liking the TN Hunter style.

The contouring looks like it worked well. Seems symmetrical and comfortable.

thanks mrn8. trying to get the handles symmetrical is a bit maddening. so, i appreciate the kind words. you're too kind though. i need to touch it up. it was a good learning experience though.

and, as far as the TN Hunter goes...i would definitely recommend it. it's a great knife. if i had my druthers, i would go with 1/8" stock, but i knew what i was getting when i ordered it. almost asked chris to do an 1/8" version for me on one of his open slots he advertised. but, i was a bit too slow.

now that it fits my hand better, i am really interested in putting it to some good use.

Should be a good user for sure. Thats a lot of contouring for sure. I'd be scared to mess something up if I tried that, but it looks like it turned out good for you.

Todd, very interesting "design" on the handle. Never thought of having a grip made like that, but it looks interesting. I too am afflicted with the large handle/small blade problem with knives, but all the ones Chris has made for myself & Sally T fit like they were custom molded and then CNC cut to fit.
Is there any "hot spots" with the contouring on either the front or the back ?
Thanks for the pics, and that grain pattern on there is something else as well . . . Great score, good job on the blade as well.
Be safe.

Hey J1M.
I really liked the handle that Chris put on it. not sure what to call it ... palm swell?...the underneath of the handle where your fingers grip....anyway, that shape is perfect. i really like the handle design. the only problem was that it was too big of a handful for me. if i were really going to use it, i needed to remove some wood....make it thinner, in hand.

i accomplished that. and, it feels real good to hold. BUT...not sure about the hot spots. i haven't used it yet. I am eagerly awaiting a chance. i'll smooth 'er up a bit, but i plan on taking this one out for deer season.

thanks for the note.

Looking good man! Ill be making some TN Hunters soon in a hand finished satin blade just like you like em! They might even have hamons if I dont screw them up.

Should be a good user for sure. Thats a lot of contouring for sure. I'd be scared to mess something up if I tried that, but it looks like it turned out good for you.

it was a tough choice. i know if i start mucking around with it, and screw it up...or if i decide it's not for me...then, it would be pretty tough to try to sell. but ultimately, i really liked this knife. and, the only way i was going to really be able to use it was to take a chance on modifying it. i'm glad i did. the good news is...if i decide it is too contoured, or if it is "hot" in a spot, i can continue to customize it to my hand. needless to say...i think i have already made this one a keeper. ;)

and, i couldn't be happier. :)

thanks AC.

Looking good man! Ill be making some TN Hunters soon in a hand finished satin blade just like you like em! They might even have hamons if I dont screw them up.

Woohoo! can't wait to see them, chris. and, thanks bud.

Chris buddy, between you & BA, it seems like your so-called "screw-ups" have a way of turning out to be your next new model or a new type of finish with your knives . . . . . :D
I was beginning to believe the words "mistake" or "oops" were not even in yours or BA's vocabulary . . . .
Great job by the way on Todd's knife, really like the way the grain comes out on that handle.
Be safe.

Back