1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

My latest guitar.

Discussion in 'Around the Grinder' started by Phillip Patton, May 21, 2012.

1. Phillip Patton

Phillip Patton KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 25, 2005
    Hey guys,
    This is my first electric guitar. Thought I'd share it here since it's been awhile since I have posted any of my "other" work.

The specs:

It's a copy of a Les Paul.

Top is curly maple that I got pretty cheap on ebay. There is a knot right at the edge inside the cutaway, and there's no figure near the edge in some places. But the burst covers all that up, so I'm happy. [​IMG]

The body and neck are hog from Menards. Headstock veneer and fretboard are ebony. Inlays are plastic. This was my first time doing any inlay work (besides rosettes) and I didn't want to practice on real pearl. It went pretty well.

The finish is nitro lacquer over a tobacco burst.

Pickups are Golden Age Parsons Street humbuckers from Stew-Mac. Alnico 5 magnets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,

2. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    That is beautiful!

Do you plan on putting your name or logo on the headstock?

Beautiful work!

best

mqqn

3. oldrifleman

oldrifleman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Sweet, I would really put your name on it, there is tons of craftsmansip here that deserves recognition! Steven

4. NinjaRyder0920

NinjaRyder0920 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2012
    That is a beautiful instrument. Well done my friend.

5. Mike Davis

Mike Davis

Feb 7, 2006
    Damn Phillip! That is awesome!!!! Fantastic job, +1 to the name thing.

6. Matt Brook

Matt Brook

Dec 22, 2009
    Amazing work Phillip.

Damn fine!

Matt

7. Jaytaylor

Jaytaylor

Feb 9, 2012
    I've owned a Les Paul Standard since the 90s and yours is beautiful, very nice work.

8. JBS TOOLMAKER

JBS TOOLMAKER

May 4, 2009
    That is truly a beautiful piece. How's the action? Send it to me and I will inspect it for a while.:D

9. Phillip Patton

Phillip Patton KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 25, 2005
    Hey all,
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread. It's been a busy couple of months...

It's a little late for this one. Numbers 2 and 3 have my name on them.

The action is perfect. Smoothest playing guitar I've built yet, though I guess electrics tend to be easier anyway.
    Buy it and you can inspect it forever. :D

Now, I'll go ahead and post some pics of #2 here, instead of starting another thread:

This one isn’t actually quite finished. I have to get some knobs for the pots, make the control cavity covers, fix a chip on the headstock, and some other finishing touches. But it’s playable.

On the first LP, I used pickups that had Alnico 5 magnets in them. This one has Alnico 2. I’m somewhat new to electrics, so I wasn’t sure what the difference would be. Now that I’ve played them both, I know. [​IMG] I’d describe the difference as the Alnico 2 pickups as sounding “cleaner”. I like them both though.

All the wood for this guitar (except for the ebony fretboard and headstock veneer) came from Menards. The top is curly maple, the body and neck are mahogany. The binding is cream ABS.

I'll take some better pics when it's all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is with the appropriate pickup rings and the knobs:

[​IMG]

10. Erin Burke

Erin Burke KnifeMaker...ish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 19, 2003
    Wow... I want a Patton LP. I want it now. Beautiful work. Love them both... can't decide which I like best. :thumbup::thumbup:
    Now you just need to get some fancy strap buttons fitted. ;)
    Erin

BTW... the "musical instruments" link on your webpage doesn't work for me. How am I going to know how much to withdraw from my kids college fund? :D

11. Bob Katilus

Bob Katilus

Feb 18, 2005
    I think you should call it a Les Patton... fantastic work. I didn't know you makes instruments as well. Great detail.

12. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn

Dec 6, 2009
    I couldn't get the musical page to work either. Your guitars rock!!!

13. Phillip Patton

Jul 25, 2005
    Thanks for the compliments!
    The "instruments" page on my site doesn't work, because there's nothing there. I made the link but haven't gotten around to making the pages. :)

Erin, PM me for prices. ;) I'll be selling at least #2.

Now, here's a few pics of number three, strung up a couple days ago. You don't see too many 12 string electrics, so I thought I'd make one. This one has a osage orange top, Douglas fir body, mahogany neck, and cocobolo fretboard and headstock.

062912-2.jpg

062912-1.jpg

062912-3.jpg

Sounds great! Looks kind of plain though...

14. BRAINESTORM

BRAINESTORM

Apr 25, 2010
    Wow ..Them are really something to say you built... Unreal ,, thanks for sharing...

15. Idlewild

Idlewild KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 11, 2004
    Hello Phillip,

Jack O'Neill sent me a link to this thread after I mentioned I play guitar. I'm very glad he did because your guitars are very beautiful. Your flamed bursts are really nice. I can see you're using Gotoh tuners which I find to be really excellent. I have Gotohs on three customs as well as a new 2011 Fall Limited Edition Taylor Koa steel-string acoustic.
    My first guitar was a Gibson ES 335 Dot Neck which I eventually, and regretably sold. Currently, especially with electrics I prefer the longer scale, 25.5"/647.77mm (Fender) as opposed to the shorter 24.75"/628.65mm (Gibson) scale, but that's each individual players preference. What scale are you using for your guitars?
    You're a man of many talents...maker of very fine knives and absolutely gorgeous guitars!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012