1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

My latest W2

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Josh Rider, May 17, 2017 at 6:28 PM.

1. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    I'm working on a new w2 knife
    3/16" from Aldo
    Thanks for looking and any criticism or feedback.
    I would honestly love to hear what custom knife guys dislike or what you like in a camp style or all around knife.

[​IMG]upload an image

Sneakypete likes this.
  2. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Looks like you've got a great start my friend. Going for a hamon on this one? :)

3. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    Yes Dudley, I don't know how to stop myself from working on my hamon.:)
    My next one will be 3v though.

Dawkind likes this.
  4. john april

john april

Feb 27, 2006
    nothing to dislike there. looks like it would do most tasks. nice and pointy :)

Josh Rider likes this.
  5. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005

I hate the blue you used here. Totally destroys the credibility and intent of the tool, in my book. Plus, it would clash with everything in my wardrobe. Don't you have anything in a pastel?

6. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Haha:thumbsup:

7. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    if you tighten the radius forward of the index, you can choke up just a little further, which would be handy for a knife this size. What's it, around 5.5" blade?

Josh Rider likes this.
  8. Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Feb 17, 2016
    Great looking blade my friend.

Josh Rider likes this.
  9. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks guys, I normalized and thermal cycled it and then applied some more satanite. I haven't had great success getting the hamon to follow the clay so I'm trying to get a little better at doing it by eye in the forge with a magnet. Definitely not an easy feat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I tempered it 2 hours each x 2 @400 ,425

10. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    How do you mean, Lorien?
    Thanks for the advice, this is what I'm looking for.

11. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    the rough idea;
    [​IMG]

12. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    I gotcha. That can easily be remedied.

13. Park Swan

Park Swan KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 15, 2016
    This. Commonly see near symmetrical handles (front to back), but your hand registers better in front with something to bump up against. Knife will feel more under control. Looks great though!

Josh Rider likes this.
  14. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Bring the grind higher, even all the way to the spine. .1875" is still a lot of steel, you've got plenty of strength to do anything a knife like that should. Maybe even distal taper...

Josh Rider likes this.