My new Caly3

Flatlander1963

Gold Member
I've always liked the mid-lock and I've been interested in a plain edge Caly3 for some time. About six weeks ago I caught a CF laminated zdp-189 on sale and grapped it. I thought I would go right back to the Sage II once I played around with the Caly for a bit. Nope, I'm in love with it. I haven't even considered any of my other EDC rotation since I put the Caly in my pocket.

If you haven't tried this knife you should. Its an older design but one of Sal/Erics's best efforts.

I suppose I should say why I'm liking this knife so much. Light weight, perfect ergos, fantastic cutter, wire clip, perfect fit and finish. Small but feels bigger. Great knife.

Agreeded, it is the next on my buy list. I have had it in hand a couple of times and really like it. How does it ride in your pocket? do you notice the pivot pin at all when you are getting it out of your pocket?

I don't notice the pivot pin when clipped to the pocket. That said it rides down in the pocket with the change and car keys as often as not. No open back to collect change and the CF still not showing any rash from that type of carry. If you wear comfortable pants ie without tight pockets you shouldn't have a worry with the big pivot pin.

Thank you for the info. I didn't think it would be a big deal.
I agree about the tight pants. I heard a comedian say the other day, "why does a country with a weight problem have an obsession with skinny pants."
Best,

Rhett

Congrats on your new Caly3. IMHO Calys is one of the of best Spyderco designs and near perfect EDC. I strongly prefer VG10 variant- really do not lake uneven laminated lines. I fall in love with Caly3 when I saw proto picture and carried VG10 Caly3 for more than four years, since the day they came out. It was replaced with Caly3.5, when they came out. The same package, but longer blade. The same ergos, the same blade geometry, the same feel in the pocket, but longer blade. Make a big sense unless exceed legal limit. I love both Caly3 and Caly3.5. I brought Caly3.5 up because it is available in VG10, unfortunately VG10 Caly3 was discontinued.

Off topic, but you don't happen to have a jeep on tons do you?

I'm checking the caly now.

I just got the Damascus version and I have to say I prefer the knife to the Sage 1 in terms of ergos and handling. And I'm one of those people who almost always prefers liners over lockbacks, since they have such a smoother opening. The caly 3 ergos fit my hand better, and the slightly slimmer profile makes a surprisingly large difference in my pocket.

I have the Caly 3 in VG-10 and agree that it's a great design. I don't like the ZDP version as much for aesthetic reasons - the blade sratches and wavy laminate lines. I also have the 3.5 and think it's an improvement in ergos.

I have the Caly 3 in VG-10 and agree that it's a great design. I don't like the ZDP version as much for aesthetic reasons - the blade sratches and wavy laminate lines. I also have the 3.5 and think it's an improvement in ergos.

I don't mind the wavy laminate lines but the J2 does scratch easy. I guess that's the only negative for me.

I'm not sure why I would want to use it. If it scratches, I'll consider making it a safe queen...... No, I'll only carry it for formal occasions, such as going to church, work, and such.

Love my Caly3 ZDP/CF, probably my favorite EDC, just a beautiful knife.

8092365704_da53d1d606_b.jpg

Last edited:
My first Spyderco was a Caly3 ZDP189 CF, I love that knife very much, but does not see much pocket time because I am an auto technician and I do not want to destroy it.
0023.jpg

I really wish they didn't discontinue the G10/VG10 version, i'd love a plain edge. It was was of the greatest pocket knives i ever had.

I really wish they didn't discontinue the G10/VG10 version, i'd love a plain edge. It was was of the greatest pocket knives i ever had.
+1
May be we will be lucky to see sprint run. But I really have not problem now. Caly3.5 near perfect for me.

I just got the Damascus version and I have to say I prefer the knife to the Sage 1 in terms of ergos and handling. And I'm one of those people who almost always prefers liners over lockbacks, since they have such a smoother opening. The caly 3 ergos fit my hand better, and the slightly slimmer profile makes a surprisingly large difference in my pocket.

Love to see a pic of that.I hope they don't sell out b4 I get a chance to grab one.

I have the SB & ZDP 3.5's & they are my fav Spydies.Slim & slicey!:)

Back