1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

My new tender box

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by dogwood dan, May 4, 2012.

1. dogwood dan

dogwood dan KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 19, 2011
    I wanted to share a tender box idea I read about in Backwoodsmen To make it I epoxied a fero rod (about 2" long) to the side of an Altoids (small size) tin, then filled the tin with petroleum jelly cotton balls. I then cut down an old hack saw blade for a striker and now I have and all weather, small size, no worries tender box. I may even glue a piece of leather backed sand paper to the bottom of the tin then I can sharpen my knife or sand the mark out of the blade because I wanted to show off and used my knife for a striker while diner is cooking.

View attachment 275799
    View attachment 275797
    View attachment 275798
    View attachment 275796

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. KP

KP Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That's a nice little compact setup and I like the sandpaper idea too.

3. discdoggin

discdoggin

Jun 6, 2010
    Thanks for sharing Dan! Mental note, now I need to order some smaller ferro blanks...

4. KuRUpTD

KuRUpTD

Aug 5, 2008
    Neat idea ... and FYI it's spelled "tinder"

5. sutured

sutured

Oct 30, 2011
    When I saw photos of my new "tender box" I thought I was at the wrong site...

6. Brian Sargent

Brian Sargent

Jun 6, 2008
    Please read Dans' signature.

7. Bowman1911

Bowman1911

Dec 12, 2010
    Saw that in this month's Backwoodsman's mag!

8. creativeguy

creativeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Great idea. Been thinking about doing something like this myself. I do carry a tin with petroleum jelly cotton balls but I love the idea of the ferro rod on the side and the leather/sandpaper. Gotta buy me some Altoids.

9. sisk61

sisk61

Jun 24, 2011
    Dan thats a great idea!!! i never thought about attaching a ferro rod to the side of an altoids tin.. I HAVE to try this now...

10. Bigskymt

Bigskymt

Apr 9, 2010
    Very cool, going to copy that setup. Thank you for the idea.

11. Brad "the butcher"

Brad "the butcher"

Dec 15, 2008
    Love that magazine, it should be monthly...........I HATE waiting for the new issues.

A strip of good tape around the tin for waterproofing might be a good idea

12. dogwood dan

dogwood dan KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 19, 2011
    it is a grate magazine! As for the tape from what I have found the cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly (Vaseline) are water proof. I held one under water for a few minuets pulled it apart and it lit on the second strike of a spark

13. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Nice box, Dan! And the knife too....

14. dogwood dan

Aug 19, 2011

thank you on both counts the knife is an ecd I made for my self from 0-1 and magnolia. The magnolia handle is not a popular choice but I used because it comes from the same board I used to make a jewelry box for my wife the Christmas we got engaged. Next I am going to do a photo tutoreal on beer bottle alcohol stove that has ben working very well for me