My new tender box

I wanted to share a tender box idea I read about in Backwoodsmen To make it I epoxied a fero rod (about 2" long) to the side of an Altoids (small size) tin, then filled the tin with petroleum jelly cotton balls. I then cut down an old hack saw blade for a striker and now I have and all weather, small size, no worries tender box. I may even glue a piece of leather backed sand paper to the bottom of the tin then I can sharpen my knife or sand the mark out of the blade because I wanted to show off and used my knife for a striker while diner is cooking.

View attachment 275799
View attachment 275797
View attachment 275798
View attachment 275796

Last edited:
That's a nice little compact setup and I like the sandpaper idea too.

Thanks for sharing Dan! Mental note, now I need to order some smaller ferro blanks...

When I saw photos of my new "tender box" I thought I was at the wrong site...

Great idea. Been thinking about doing something like this myself. I do carry a tin with petroleum jelly cotton balls but I love the idea of the ferro rod on the side and the leather/sandpaper. Gotta buy me some Altoids.

Dan thats a great idea!!! i never thought about attaching a ferro rod to the side of an altoids tin.. I HAVE to try this now...

Love that magazine, it should be monthly...........I HATE waiting for the new issues.

A strip of good tape around the tin for waterproofing might be a good idea

Brad "the butcher";10835356 said:
Love that magazine, it should be monthly...........I HATE waiting for the new issues.

A strip of good tape around the tin for waterproofing might be a good idea

it is a grate magazine! As for the tape from what I have found the cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly (Vaseline) are water proof. I held one under water for a few minuets pulled it apart and it lit on the second strike of a spark

Nice box, Dan! And the knife too....

thank you on both counts the knife is an ecd I made for my self from 0-1 and magnolia. The magnolia handle is not a popular choice but I used because it comes from the same board I used to make a jewelry box for my wife the Christmas we got engaged. Next I am going to do a photo tutoreal on beer bottle alcohol stove that has ben working very well for me

Back