My thoughts on a Chris Reeve verses a Rick Hinderer

Different strokes for different folks. I think ZT knives, Emersons, and Microtech knives are some of the ugliest knives ever made and yet there are many who love them. Doesn't bother me none...

Different strokes for different folks. I think ZT knives, Emersons, and Microtech knives are some of the ugliest knives ever made and yet there are many who love them. Doesn't bother me none...

A knife snob eh? :p :D

I have a standard XM-18 with the Carpenter steel blade. It is thick, its not a slicer like some of my other knives. My Strider SnG is even better as a slicer (reprofiled).

The tendency of manufacturers these days seems to be that they are making sharpened pry-bars. Not precision cutting tools. Its a shame really. The technology in the steels these days allows for some scary edges and dufable edges as well.

How dare you insult my knife!

Handbags at 30 yards!!!

...The tendency of manufacturers these days seems to be that they are making sharpened pry-bars. Not precision cutting tools. Its a shame really. The technology in the steels these days allows for some scary edges and dufable edges as well.

(this is a general reply to your comment)

when you're REALLY in the field, especially the "urban field", you need and want these "sharpened pry-bars" as you call them. i don't want to hesitate to pry something on the job because i think my precious folder might break a tip, i just want to do it.

most everyone here knows what brands/models the "sharpened pry-bars" are. they are made that way; so don't buy one and complain that they don't cut tomatos well. mirror, hair shaving edges are not a priority for them either; like how long does that last with a working knife...

(this is a general reply to your comment)

when you're REALLY in the field, especially the "urban field", you need and want these "sharpened pry-bars" as you call them. i don't want to hesitate to pry something on the job because i think my precious folder might break a tip, i just want to do it.

most everyone here knows what brands/models the "sharpened pry-bars" are. they are made that way; so don't buy one and complain that they don't cut tomatos well. mirror, hair shaving edges are not a priority for them either; like how long does that last with a working knife...

I guess I should have been less general. I have seen hunting knives, for instance, those made by BRKT that, from the intent in designe appears to be a skinner/ hunting knife. The blades are very thick with a hefty bevel more suited to chopping or coarse cutting. I wouldnt cape an elk with one and I would use it to cut camp meat etc. It just seems that they are following the marketing trend. Bottom line is use the right tool for the right job. And as far as working knives, if you have ever worked in the carpentry trade or any of the support trade, the working knife of choice is a box cutter, basically a razorblade with a handle. When they want to pry they use a pry-bar.

I read this whole thread (and others with similar themes) while trying to decide whether or not to trade one of my two Sebenzas for an XM-18 3.5 Thread's not closed and I'm going to chime in for others who may be thinking about the same decision. I don't have the discretionary funds to buy all the high-end production folders that catch my eye, so I had to give up one of my two large Sebenzas to finance an XM-18 3.5 skinner grind. I don't regret it. These two knives are closer in cost now than ever before, so the whole conversation about secondary market price gauging isn't really applicable anymore. For about $400 bucks, I find both of these knives worth every penny and really comparable in quality. Both lock up without any wiggle, and I really wail on folders when I am trying to create some lateral blade-play. If I loosen the XM pivot a little bit to let it really fly, then I can muscle a tiny bit of movement out of it. There is a sweet spot, though, where it flips smooth and easy and I cannot budge it no matter how hard I try. I was afraid the XM would feel just like a ZT, but it really doesn't. It feels both smoother, simpler, more ergonomic and stronger (compared to 0550, 0566, 0801). My XM ends up perfectly centered after each time I disassemble it (twice so far) and adjust the pivot. The Sebenza is amazing because there is no adjustment of the pivot screw, just all the way tight and it's perfectly centered and opening is smooth as glass. Both blades are plenty thick for heavy-duty work, but the Hinderer does feel like it could be used to get me out of a serious jam in all kinds of ways. The Sebenza rides a little easier in my pocket. I love them both SOOO much. Next purchase will be an Umnumzaan. Loved reading all the opinions in this thread about these knives.

I don't agree that these are apples and oranges. Both folders. Neither's a true pry bar. Just as the Crk, the XM would fail where a fixed blade would succeed.

Back