My vintage Puma collection

Puma 6310 Sportmesser (sporting knife) from around 1940.
Although the model number is in the 1940 Puma catalogue, it shows only the 4.5 " version, not this 6" bladed version.

Specs:

Overall length: 10.12 inch (25,7 cm)
Blade length: 5.98 inch (15,2 cm)
Max. blade thickness: 4,51 mm (ricasso)
Steel: hot drop-forged carbon steel
Handle material: leather and brass washers + guard & aluminum pommel
Sadly without a sheath.

Last edited:
I love Puma knives! Here are my traditional old and new Puma. Thanks~
463k3x4.jpg

Vintage Puma 6393 Skinner.
Pre-1964 version, so still without a dating code.

Last edited:

Specs:

Overall length: 9.57 inch (24,3 cm)
Blade length: 4.0 inch (12,7 cm)
Maximum blade thickness (ricasso): 3,33 mm
Steel: Genuine Pumaster Steel
Handle material: Sambar Stag & aluminium guard
Weight: 145 grams
Sheath: Leather

Last edited:
Any idea what the alloy composition of Pumaster steel is? Typically Solingen carbon steel is C75, while their stainless is roughly the equivalent of 440B, but don't know if Pumaster is something else or not.

Last edited:
I've just gotten my first Puma. I don't know why I've waited so long. I may be addicted now.

This is from Puma in 1998:

It looks like Pumaster steel (at least at that time) was Böhler NWN 80.

Part of what made Puma so good was the drop forging and a good heat treat. Even their standard stainless (DIN1.4110) is equivalent to 440B, but in my testing it definitely outperformed some of my 440C blades (testing done before the current era of super steels).

Thanks, pro. It looks like it's the ubiquitous C75 with a touch of Chromium added. The 57-59 Rc rating would have been higher than most at the time, so better edge holding. I believe Case CV in the 90s was more like 55-57.

I've just gotten my first Puma. I don't know why I've waited so long. I may be addicted now.

This is a knife my mother bought for my father back in 1971, it has the pumaster steel. I was with my mother when she bought the knife for him, she paid $35.00 dollars for it back then, that was quite a bit of money back then, over $200.00 today. The one thing I remember was how beautiful all those Pumas looked sitting in that display case back then. Anyhow it's a great knife and well worth the money.

This is a knife my mother bought for my father back in 1971, it has the pumaster steel. I was with my mother when she bought the knife for him, she paid $35.00 dollars for it back then, that was quite a bit of money back then, over $200.00 today. The one thing I remember was how beautiful all those Pumas looked sitting in that display case back then. Anyhow it's a great knife and well worth the money.

http://s1038.photobucket.com/user/scotthanson1/media/Knives/IMG_1126_zpsbeg9pgc5.jpg.html

Thank you for posting your beautiful Puma! A very nice heirloom.

My little PUMA collection...

Your collection is FANTASTIC !!! Thank you for sharing your "little" Pumas.

Back