need help finding the right knife for a gift

Boye folding knife is the best for a sailor. It's made of a cobalt alloy with a cast blade. It's light, cuts forever and comes recommended by sailors. It was designed for wet work. It doesn't come in green though, but is about $170.

....Probably the best knife that's readily available that meets your criteria would be the Benchmade H2O Folding Dive Knife. The stock scales have awesome gimping that really lock a wet handle into your hand and the Axis Lock is hard to beat for simply joy of use. Problem is this knife only comes in neon yellow or black handles and I'm fairly certain you won't find aftermarket scales readily available. You'd have to work with someone and probably not have the scales ready for your May deadline......

I forgot about Benchmade's dive knife and I used to own one!

Great knife but your friend may find it a little too large for her hand.

Way under your budget but the Esee Zancudo and Avispa in AUS 8 as opposed to D2 since she's in the Navy could work. Their pocket clips could easily be engraved with her initials and the date and scales are available in a wide variety of colors.

If you want to spend more how about Three Rivers LTC Nomad?

As the majority here voted, I say Pacific Salt

20170125_132305_zps6tm5u9st.jpg

pure reliable, fun and durable workhorse. Easy to dye, the Yellow FRN is grippy, thin and light, high-visibility for easy spotting and the SE H1 blade is tough, aggressive and rustproof

20170124_131149_zpsntstswfu.jpg

The Salts might not be "that very special" knife, but they're the knife for this, can't go wrong with any of the Spyderco H1 folders!

CAM02155_zpsnscc4aql.jpg

scale down version of zt 0560 is zt 0562, g10 or cf handle. ZT 0562cf is a great folder, but it might be a bit too heavy.
OP - did you think about Spyderco Slysz Bowie or CRK Sebenza?

Just a word of warning, don't send it with her when she goes. Wait till she comes home on leave after graduation.

Otherwise you'll be giving a very nice knife to a Recruit Division Commander petty officer, who is probably a decent sort, but will not take kindly to your employee having a knife at basic training.

Just a word of warning, don't send it with her when she goes. Wait till she comes home on leave after graduation.

Otherwise you'll be giving a very nice knife to a Recruit Division Commander petty officer, who is probably a decent sort, but will not take kindly to your employee having a knife at basic training.

This^ would be my thought as well. No need for a $400 "special" knife to get lost or taken. If you must send her with a knife I think the inexpensive Spyderco Salt or Benchmade H20 options would be best. I carry a pacific Salt regularly. In terms of use and pocket time it routinely beats out knives costing 5 times as much. Save a nicer knife for later or have her keep it at home and separate.

Last edited:
A good stainless may be all thats needed and will keep the range of options larger. Maybe a good vg10 or 154.

I just saw some toxic green scales for hinderer at knife center. The Benchmade custom configuration is my bet though.

thanks for all the replies. I think I will go down the Benchmade route with a Barage. She likes larger knives

I saw a Toxic Green Hinderer Eklipse 2 the other day at a popular knife dealer. That knife would last a lifetime. I do not have so much faith in a Benchmade.

Back